diggy

Re: WM Theme competition?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi all!
Following the Logo competition taking place, wouldn't it be great if you also run a Theme competition?

Following the same principles as with the logo design, after you select which will be the default Window Manager for Ubuntu, it would be great to have another competition. Just to keep things running. :D
The winner could win a Raspberry Pi (if possible).

That could provide RP with -hopefully- a high quality theme to be used.

What do you think?

PS. Any clues as to what is going to be the default WM?
PS. The same could also be used to have a bootscreen, background -you name it- image. Either on a seperate competition or (even better) combined.

jeicrash

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 am

A theme would be cool, but the base unit won't be sold with an OS installed, I remember reading that there may be an option to buy one with pre-installed OS though. In all a good idea but I have no artistic talent :(

gerits

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 am

I don't want Ubuntu so the first thing I would do is installing an os I like. If I look at the what would you do with your rpi thread many others would also use something else than Ubuntu...

abishur

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Good news for those who don't like Ubuntu, the device doesn't come with an OS ;) The current plan (which as always is subject to change) is that they *might* offer as an option SD cards with an OS preinstalled on it. So if you don't want Ubuntu you can use an SD card you already own and install any ARM flavored Linux you like :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

yoonsikp

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Im very interested in how this will work, because aren't there drivers you have to install on the sd card?

abishur

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, could you please expound?

yoonsikp

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Well say I got a rpi with no sd card. If i downloaded the ARM linux and copied it to the card, won't it need drivers for the network adapter or such?

abishur

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

ah! I see your question. My understanding is that several distros will be offered on the site for download via bittorent. If there's an ARM distro you want to use that isn't hosted yet, I believe you'll have to re-compile the kernel with a special "Driver" package (that I *believe* will be open for download from the r-pi team) but that should be all that is necessary to having the on board devices work, for anything extra you add... well you'll be on your own :P

Return to “General discussion”