abishur

Re: Status Updates (a.k.a where's my pi at?)

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm

tl;dr version: The first 2K R-pis are arriving in their owners hands!  Rest of the first batch should be sent out early May.  Everyone who's ordered by April 18th can expect their Pi by end of June

A lot of people have been asking for a concise concrete information on the location of the boards (which for one reason or another the front page updates don"t count) so here is a quick look at the time frame since the launch date that will (hopefully) give you the information you desire.  Newest updates first then going back in time to the launch date.  I have put a tl;dr update at the top for anyone who does not want to bother with the thread.  Edit: changed my mind, unlocking the thread so that if anyone has questions they can ask it. (If I do not respond, it means I do not know just please be patient and we will post information as it becomes available)

Current status as of April 19th (34 business days since launch):

• First 2K boards have been sent out
• The rest of the 10K first batch (the so called "missing 8K") are in route to the distributors and be ready for sending out by May 1st
• Distributors' are in serial production and Farnell expects to meet *all* their pre-orders that have been made up to April 18th by the end of June
• Any orders made to Farnell starting today (April 19th) can expect a July delivery date.

April 19th (Launch +50): Farnell has confirmed that they will receive the last bit of their half of the first 10K by the beginning of May and confirmed that they have started their serial production of the boards which will them to meet all 100,000 of their orders by the end of June (note that that's 100K for just Farnell alone, not counting RS)

April 13th (Launch +44): The Boards are finally being delivered!

April 11th (Launch +42): Paperwork going through sign-off process, hopes to start delivering boards at the start of next week.  Some boards being sent to specific developers outside foundation.

April 6th (Launch +37): R-Pis Passed CE (EU) testing, FCC (USA) testing, CTick (Australia), and "That Canadian Thing", still needs paper work filled out to be official

April 2nd (Launch +33): R-Pis undergoing testing at facility in Wales.

March 30th (Launch +30): First 2000 R-Pis in RPF"s hands, will be sent out to the distributors as soon as EM test is passed and CE paper is filled.

March 29th (Launch +29): Second "oops" e-mail Farnell where they pushed delivery back, RPF contacted them and got issue fixed

March 28th (Launch +28): Update on the CE testing, revealed that first 2000 boards have finished having their jacks swapped out, been re-tested and are headed back to RPF

March 27th (Launch +27): Farnell releases 2nd pricing matrix (this one including Australia!) to fix some slip-ups on their part.

March 23rd (Launch +23): RPF reveals the continued delay is being caused in part by new need for CE testing.  For those of us used to such boards it made perfect sense to release a development board in large quantities, but to a lot of people this (still) created a lot of confusion.  Suffice to say it really did make sense and it really was legal.  Unfortunately, the huge demand for the r-pi made the distributors" lawyers nervous to release it without the testing (understandably so!  It"s unfortunate, but I can"t fault them for this!).

March 13th (Launch +13): Farnell releases 1st pricing matrix to alleviate confusion.  It is still a $25/$35 computer board, but list displays cost of shipping and local taxes that have to be applied to the board.

March 8th (Launch +8): Revealed that boards arrived and after real world testing was done on them (as opposed to the electronic testing done at manufacturer"s) it was discovered that the manufacturer accidentally swapped the listed ethernet jack with one that did not have built in magnetics.  This means that while they were electrically sound, hence their pass at the manufacturer, they would be unable to actually pass data.  Instead of being sent to distributors and then to us, they had to go back to the manufacturer to have the part swapped out.

March 7th (Launch +7): Server upgrade bye bye "Database connection error" messages!

March 6th (Launch +6): First "oops" e-mail Farnell where they pushed delivery back, RPF contacted them and got issue fixed

March 3rd (Launch +3): Site comes back in its full goodness.  Demand for the R-pi *far* exceeded anyone"s expectation, *much* greater than amount of followers and now they"re hitting the site like mad, site begins its glory days of "database connection error"

February 29: Launch date! The further we get from the launch the more I see how little it mattered how it launched.  I was definitely annoyed things did not go better with it, that the distributors did not provide better information/a hard link to a page to order the pi off of and as a result the RPF was the one stuck looking like an idiot who had not properly prepared; as if this was a last minute decision instead of the months of negotiating and planning it actually was   But now I can look at it and go "wow, it literally did not matter!"  No matter how quickly they could have accepted orders (which it turns out apple had the same issue on their launch day) we would still be exactly where we are now.
Last edited by liz on Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-stickying
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

XAPBob

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

When I did EMC testing it took an amount of time (deliberately not saying how long here) to run the tests at which point we knew the results, just had to wait for the paperwork.

Now I know you are doing MORE tests than I had to (as you are covering more bits of legislation etc) but do RS/Farnell/Testing guys have any ball park figures of how long they expect the testing to take?

Also are RS/Farnell going to be releasing the boards on the test results or the certificate (or are RPF going to ship boards to RS/Farnell on the results/cert?)

crispyking

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm

I only have one question:

The blog post from March 8th when the manufacturing fault was discovered says "the factory is nearly done working on replacing them on the first set of boards" but now you say "Other ~8K still having jack replaced/manufacturer"s testing being performed".

Can you be a little clearer on how far on they were when you said "nearly done" and how many still need to have the jack replaced?

abishur

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:08 pm

crispyking said:

I only have one question:

The blog post from March 8th when the manufacturing fault was discovered says "the factory is nearly done working on replacing them on the first set of boards" but now you say "Other ~8K still having jack replaced/manufacturer"s testing being performed".

Can you be a little clearer on how far on they were when you said "nearly done" and how many still need to have the jack replaced?

I'll answer the last question first I'm not sure how many jacks need to be replaced.  The point of that bullet point item is that there are might be *some* boards that need the jack and some that only lack the electrical testing.  I didn't mean to imply that all 8k still needed both done (I was using the slash mark like an "or") My *guess* would be that the manufacturer's testing (not to be confuse with CE testing) is what is holding up the boards in factory at this point, but since the replacement of the jack is being done by hand it's possible that some percentage of the boards are still in need of having the jacks replaced as well

The good news on this is that once the CE testing finishes (and the boards pass) the distributors have said they will start their production runs.  And since Liz was kind enough to let us know that they've already got the parts ordered and are just waiting on the CE stamp to get underway, this means that even if it turns out that the other 8K all need their jacks replaced (something I strongly doubt) we shouldn't have too much of a delay as the distributor runs will quickly fill the gap.

Now for the "set" issue.  First, you're in good company as a *lot* of individuals have made the same connection you did that set = batch   Unfortunately, this isn't the case.  While it's really obvious to us that the issue at hand was they put the wrong ethernet jack on the board, that would be less obvious to a manufacturer.  After all, how can they know that the issue is *really* what the client says it is.  So good business practice is to take a set of the boards and re-work them to see if that really solves the issue rather than do an entire batch only to find out the issue was something else.

It's been said before, and it will probably happen again but every so often one of the RPF members makes a statement where they take for granted a certain amount of familiarity with the process that the majority of people here don't have and it creates a substantial misunderstand

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

I'll leave it to Abishur to update the first post in this thread, but thought you'd want to know that we have a testing chamber in Wales (closest we could find - and people wonder why the UK computer industry is in trouble) booked out for the whole week, and sent a load of Raspberry Pis and cables etc. to Wales with SD cards with a special test image written by Alex Bradbury (one of our volunteers who is currently doing a PhD at the University Computer Lab in Cambridge) at the end of last week.

Apparently these tests can take a few days (the board is checked minutely, and in a lot of different orientations and with a lot of different setups, then identical boards are checked in the same way), which is why we've booked the chamber for the whole week. We don't expect to need the whole week, but we booked the time to cover all eventualities. Tests are still ongoing, and I've not heard how things are going yet, but as soon as we have enough data back to spin a whole blog post out of, I'll stick it on the front page.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

abishur

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Main post updated, thanks Liz!

demonstapler

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Just had an email link to pre order a Pi and enter card details from Farnell, and a free t-shirt to boot

tmstp

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 am

demonstapler said:

Just had an email link to pre order a Pi and enter card details from Farnell, and a free t-shirt to boot

Just had the same - fake or not?

XAPBob

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 pm

liz said:

I'll leave it to Abishur to update the first post in this thread, but thought you'd want to know that we have a testing chamber in Wales (closest we could find - and people wonder why the UK computer industry is in trouble) booked out for the whole week, and sent a load of Raspberry Pis and cables etc. to Wales with SD cards with a special test image written by Alex Bradbury (one of our volunteers who is currently doing a PhD at the University Computer Lab in Cambridge) at the end of last week.

Apparently these tests can take a few days (the board is checked minutely, and in a lot of different orientations and with a lot of different setups, then identical boards are checked in the same way), which is why we've booked the chamber for the whole week. We don't expect to need the whole week, but we booked the time to cover all eventualities. Tests are still ongoing, and I've not heard how things are going yet, but as soon as we have enough data back to spin a whole blog post out of, I'll stick it on the front page.

Crikey - I used to use one only just north of Cambridge.  Ho hum, they were generally quite busy...

And they do like to be a fair way away from external EM noise.

Chamber booked for a week - that was what I was looking at
Thanks for the update

abishur

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm

A lot of people maybe coming to this thread and going "hey what happened to my post??"  Sorry about that, you're not in any sort of trouble or anything.  I just hadn't been on the forums and so I could catch it sooner.

This thread is strictly about status updates (the official kind).  As such I request that talking about when a delivery date might be or speculating on the updates be taken to other already open threads devoted to those topics

If there is something about the current status that you find unclear (such as the set/batch post) then please post so we can get that answered, but posts theorizing about the what/when will be cleaned off as I'm trying to keep it to the facts (just the facts ma'am) on this thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

liz

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Quick update: still in Wales (at the Institute for Welsh Affairs, where we've begged the use of an office for Eben to do his webinar at). Testing's going really swimmingly; because we've got the use of the test chamber all week we've decided to make sure we're certified for FCC, CTick (Australia) and what we've all been referring to as "That Canadian thing". We're all done with emissions; now we have to test for EM immunity, which should be finished later today (we've got the test chamber booked all evening) or tomorrow.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

dave_s

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for update Liz, glad to hear everything going well.

Now off to watch the webinar.

zoltan

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Booked for a week, wow that is quite a number!

So EMC is done, did the board pass?

When EMI is done and passed, this means:

if (passed (EMC) && passed(EMI))

CE_certify(RPi);

Right?

P.S.: Forgot safety; should also be "passed" for CE.

dutchgypsy

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 pm

thank you liz!! sounds promising!

Montala

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am

Hopefully we will receive another update before Easter?

It would be really great if this were to advise us that the compliance testing has been successfully completed... fingers crossed!

argilo

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

From the @Raspberry_Pi Twitter feed:

We hope (keep your fingers crossed) to be done with testing today - we may be working into the evening. We'll put up a post when we're done.

naicheben

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Suddenly an answer on the twitter  we all waited for. Testings done!

Musmuris

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 pm

From the twitter feed – CE testing is complete and it passed!  (Still need to file the paperwork which may take time)   (Also FCC and a couple others iirc)

bwoodbury

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 pm

FYI "that Canadian thing" would probably be the CSA = Canadian Standards Association

Axel

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Hello,

how do you plan to ship the 8k Raspi that are being "fixed" in China ?

I guess given the price of the item plane is no option .

And also do you know how many Raspi are have already been preordered by individuals ?

Best regards

zeeteex

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Just in relation to those 10k boards overall. So, 8k are being fixed. And the other 2k are almost ready to be shipped. Am i right in assuming that there are already many more boards in production from farnell and RS?

I mean, my est. delivery date is the end of may but if the boards arent even fully into production yet then who knows how long it could be before the next batch rolls out!

Obviously the process will eventually be streamlined, but the main question is, are more boards being made as we speak?
Raspi
arm_freq=1150
sdram_freq=600
gpu_freq=500
over_voltage=8

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:30 pm

zeeteex said:

Obviously the process will eventually be streamlined, but the main question is, are more boards being made as we speak?

Well, the word was that Farnell, and RS were waiting for the compliance tests to confirm that no hardware changes were necessary, so we may assume that production of the PCB's will now start, after adding the CE logo (and other logo's) to the silk screen print.

abishur

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm

@Stuart - Actually the reason why I didn't delete the posts is because I feel guilty about deleting posts even when they've completely ignored my twice (thrice now) request to keep the speculations away from this thread.  There are plenty of threads open for such thing and it is *not* because they were not in line with our position, you can keep you misplaced pity to yourself thank you very much.  As long as they stay remotely on target with what I've said or contained 100% accurate information I've let them stay.

Axel said:

Hello,

how do you plan to ship the 8k Raspi that are being "fixed" in China ?

I guess given the price of the item plane is no option .

And also do you know how many Raspi are have already been preordered by individuals ?

Best regards

Unfortunately, I'm not privy to their shipping methods (I think they fear banditos!), but I imagine it's the same shipping they've been using for the back in forth so far.

The figure for pre-orders varies every time I hear someone asked a Farnell/RS rep.  I ranges from 20k to 200k.  They also claim that number to consist of double orders and that a "lot" have canceled their pre-order because it took so long.  I think that until the boards actually start shipping to real individuals we won't get an accurate pre-order count.

zeeteex said:

Just in relation to those 10k boards overall. So, 8k are being fixed. And the other 2k are almost ready to be shipped. Am i right in assuming that there are already many more boards in production from farnell and RS?

I mean, my est. delivery date is the end of may but if the boards arent even fully into production yet then who knows how long it could be before the next batch rolls out!

@mahjongg is correct RS/Farnell were waiting for CE testing before starting their production runs.  We've been told that they already have all the parts so that's a plus.  Before they get to producing them though they will need to examine the CE paper work themselves.  Not sure if they will add CE to the silkscreen for the first "batch" they do or not, Liz was saying that there is a rule that lets you put a sticker on the device or include it on a piece of paper separately within a certain amount of time after the CE testing is completed.  It will be interesting to see if they change the silkscreen or just get the production going.

zoltan

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Silkscreen? It is definitly no CE requirement to print the logo on the board, a sticker should be fully sufficient (like on housings of most other products).

abishur

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:48 pm

zoltan said:

Silkscreen? It is definitly no CE requirement to print the logo on the board, a sticker should be fully sufficient (like on housings of most other products).

From the comments of the blog post

Liz said:

We’ve discussed that with them, and happily the rules say (and both distributors are happy with this) that for a limited period after certification we can use a sticker or print the CE mark on the packaging instead of silkscreening the PCBs. We’ll be silkscreening the next run, but those with a very early Raspi will have another identifier they can boast about!

Return to “General discussion”