greenwoodma

Re: New E-mail From element14

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 am

Just received the following update e-mail from element14

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In recent days you may have heard various reports on the Web about Raspberry Pi, the need for compliance testing and possible further delivery delays.

We recognise the impact on our customers of the constantly changing delivery dates, and we apologise for the frustration and disappointment this is causing. We will supply you with accurate delivery dates just as soon as we can, as the Boards undergo compliance testing.

It is clear that many of our customers will be using the Raspberry Pi as a finished product, not just an engineering development board. As such, we see it as the most responsible approach to ensure that all Pis meet the required standards for finished products in all territories.

We are therefore going through a much accelerated compliance process, working closely with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and RS Components. We take our commitment and responsibility in this area very seriously and believe the short-term delays, whilst frustrating, will be worthwhile to ensure our customers receive a fully compliant product.

The exact situation at the present time is as follows:

2000 Raspberry Pi’s are now in the UK.You can see pictures of them leaving the factory in China here; http://www.raspberrypi.org/
The compliance teams of element14, RS and Raspberry Pi are working round the clock with the testing houses to assess the product now.  Any issues that are identified (hardware or software) will then need to be rectified and we will ensure this happens as quickly as is humanly possible.
There are different compliance standards around the globe. We are focused on meeting all of those as quickly as possible. Some may take longer than others.
As soon as these initial 2000 Boards are compliant to at least one set of required standards, we will receive our share of this first batch from Raspberry Pi and ship these to customers in the locations where the compliance standards have been met on a strictly first come, first served basis. Those who ordered first in those countries will receive the product first.
Regrettably we cannot give any firm delivery commitments on Raspberry Pis until this testing is complete. Please be assured we will provide this information as soon as we can.
Once the product is fully compliant our manufacturing partners have the necessary stocks of components to ramp up production very quickly. So, despite these frustrating, initial delays we are confident the picture will improve and lead times for new orders will reduce.
We will email you individually to confirm your personal delivery date as soon as we are able to. We will continue to share generic information, but recognise that it is the detailed specific information to your order that is most important to you.
We will continue to post news and updates on our element14 community. Next week, on April 4th, Raspberry Pi founder, Eben Upton will give a 40-minute webinar on programming the Raspberry Pi as part of our element14 Design Flow series.
To join the 2000+ Pi fans who have already registered to attend and learn more Click here

Once again we apologise to all of our customers for this delay in providing the hotly awaited Raspberry Pi. Despite these initial teething troubles, we're certain you'll be delighted with the end result.

HOT OFF THE PRESS UPDATE FROM EBEN UPTON OF RASPBERRY PI:

“We have spoken with BIS this morning, and have been told that, given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, the development board exemption is not applicable to us; as a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE mark prior to distribution in the EU...... ....we are working with RS Components and element14/Premier Farnell to bring Raspberry Pi into a compliant state as soon as is humanly possible.”

From Farnell element14

n3tw0rk5

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:11 am

greenwoodma said:

As soon as these initial 2000 Boards are compliant to at least one set of required standards, we will receive our share of this first batch from Raspberry Pi and ship these to customers in the locations where the compliance standards have been met on a strictly first come, first served basis. Those who ordered first in those countries will receive the product first.

Does this mean they could end up all going to the back of beyond first, where they dont have any compliance certs?

Casalor

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 am

n3tw0rk5 said:

greenwoodma said:

Does this mean they could end up all going to the back of beyond first, where they dont have any compliance certs?

That's how I read it too. Hope they get the global certifications done quickly enough not to have to do that.

paulkayuk

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:04 am

[redacted at posters request]

hippy

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 am

There's no point in worrying over what the situation is, how we got there, or what the consequences will be. That is 'concern trolling' and gets people nowhere.

BIS have reportedly confirmed that the R-Pi is not exempt from CE certification and everyone has to accept that.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:23 am

CE is the first certification they are going for, followed by FCC and C-Tick. So only if the boards fail certification will they fail to reach UK, USA and Australian hands.

If they fail certification, the cheapest option is to dump the 10,000 where they are legal and work up a fix for the next batch.

n3tw0rk5

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:25 am

I'm not particulary fussed about the CE stuff, it was going to be needed at somepoint anyway.

I'm more wondering just whereabouts our first batch of RasPi customer reviews will be coming from.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:29 am

Have a look at this very authoritative account of the EMC and compliance process

http://www.element14.com/commu.....PeteL/blog

I think it answers the basic questions on what is going on and the timescale currently envisaged.

Don't Panic!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 am

[redacted due to original post being redacted. Or something]
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

JoeDaStudd

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am

Its ironic that the success the Raspberry Pi has had is the cause of its current situation.

Does this mean that all Raspberry Pi production is on hold until the testing is complete?
Or can continue to be manufactured (at a slightly slower rate as a precaution) and only the sale is restricted?

I'd hate to think that not a single new Raspberry Pi has been build since the first 10k batch.
I'm sure if they built 100k (heck any additional units would be great) they would still be a market for them in the countries which don't require the certification. Worst comes to worst the there is a hardware change required for the cerification atleast some people benfit from the the 100k R-Pi's. On the flip side if they are given the all clear its 100k R-Pi's ready to ship.

robholfter

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 am

I just received the email also and I"ve gotta say I thought it was a good example of a transparent and thoughtful supplier. I"d also like to say I think the Foundation is doing a great job with the project - keeping us informed in a timely manner when there is something relevant. I check in most days on this forum and am disappointed in so much of the nonsense being posted. Would I have liked my Pi served yesterday? Of course! I am worried or surprised by the delays? No - this is a brand new gadget bringing brought to market under a very public gaze where the end-users have grown from geeks to mainstream almost overnight. I feel for the volunteers, but I imagine a lot of the angst has resulted purely from the phenomenal success of the project, so congratulations on exceeding your wildest expectations so early on!

Hopefully the compliance testing will soon be sorted, if not, I"m sure there"ll be an elegant solution swiftly in place for the big production runs currently being cranked up.

What is really meaningful to me is that in a few months or so, there"ll be lot"s of exciting projects underway that"ll hopefully spark my kids imagination away from just being end users to being creators - that would be an incredible and worthy gift - one very much worth waiting for!
Thanks again to all involved!

hippy

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am

JoeDaStudd said:

I'd hate to think that not a single new Raspberry Pi has been build since the first 10k batch.
I'm sure if they built 100k ... they would still be a market for them in the countries which don't require the certification.

It's logical and makes good business sense to hold off on further batches until they can build compliant R-Pi than take the risk and hope there is a market for non-compliant boards. That also helps limit the risk of people buying non-compliant boards from those regions and bringing them into regions which require compliance.

Bottom line is that, no matter what anyone thinks should be done, no one can tell RS or Farnell how to run their businesses.

JoeDaStudd

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 am

hippy, you have a very valid point.
One of the basic rules of business, don't buy something without you can use or sell it (for profit).

I was thinking more about the 3rd world countries as its already been suggested it would make an ideal learning tool for the schools.

Your completely correct its not my place to say what RS or Farnell should do, I was merely pondering if there would be any harm making a few more using the current BoM and specs.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 am

JoeDaStudd said:

Its ironic that the success the Raspberry Pi has had is the cause of its current situation.

Does this mean that all Raspberry Pi production is on hold until the testing is complete?

Kind of, but not completely. All the parts are ordered and in place, and positioned at the factory so it should only take a couple of days to make a board (or tens of thousands of boards - I don't know what batch sizes RS and Farnell are making, but I do know they want to get their backlogs dealt with as soon as possible) from scratch. I should emphasise again that we're very confident we'll pass compliance testing with flying colours; our own tests have shown that we should be fine. (Pete's post on element14's site, which I linked to on the front page this morning, has some more on this.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

AlexPT

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:52 am

The good thing is this!

Once the product is fully compliant our manufacturing partners have the necessary stocks of components to ramp up production very quickly. So, despite these frustrating, initial delays we are confident the picture will improve and lead times for new orders will reduce.

hamjudo

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

greenwoodma said:

Getting boards in the hands of real end users would be a good thing. Even if those users aren't physically anywhere near me.

It would mean that when I finally get my FCC certified board in my hands, there will be a lot more useful stuff on the web, and more experienced users, for when I need help with something.

abishur

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

greenwoodma said:

I think it means the opposite, that they'll be releasing first to countries that require the certification.  This is just my own thought on it though and not "I have definitive information as an admin"
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

n3tw0rk5

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Abishur said:

n3tw0rk5 said:

greenwoodma said:

I think it means the opposite, that they'll be releasing first to countries that require the certification.  This is just my own thought on it though and not "I have definitive information as an admin"

I'm more than happy enough with just seeing pics of the unboxing, still as excited as I was when I first heard about the RasPi.

As for the actual thing itself it will ship in quantity as soon as the certs are sorted, so wont be too long and I've plenty of other things to keep me busy in the meantime

williamsj

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:31 pm

n3tw0rk5 said:

I'm not particulary fussed about the CE stuff, it was going to be needed at somepoint anyway.

I'm more wondering just whereabouts our first batch of RasPi customer reviews will be coming from.

My worry is that a bare PCB with almost any form or electricity can never pass the CE RF emissions test. A piece of Vero with a 100Ohm resistor and a lamp is good until you switch on the lamp. I deal a lot with CNC driver boards, and if I run them at full tilt with no case I can close down every TV for 50m.

One of the first computers I played with was the MK14 (sorry I am old) and in those days it was a god send to all, but luckily no one had thought of CE. You were expected to have some common sense and technical ability if you bought a  bare PCB product.

I totally agree that the public has to be protected from manufacturers shipping potentially dangerous goods, but a PCB which can pull a max of 500ma from a 5V supply is hardly likely to be more dangerous than my vero board and lamp; of course it can overheat and start a fire.. Try a cheap Nicad charger, I have had several of those spit contents all over the flat...

Someone is out to prove themselves here, and not in a good way!

In summation, here is a product, like Clive Sinclairs MK14 which offers Computer education to all, and here are the bureaucrats hell bent on their cut!!

gordon@drogon.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 pm

John said:

In summation, here is a product, like Clive Sinclairs MK14 which offers Computer education to all, and here are the bureaucrats hell bent on their cut!!

Mine still works:

And that has a whopping 256 bytes of RAM on-board...

There is an almost pristine one on display at the National Museum of Computing though...

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

liz

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Did you read the link to Pete's bit on element14? I don't think you're going to see any spewing of EM or anything catching fire; our own tests suggest the bare board will be fine.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

hippy

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm

John said:

You were expected to have some common sense and technical ability if you bought a  bare PCB product.

That's still true to a fair extent today, but the R-Pi computer is being sold to those who may have no common sense and zero technical ability.

It is not a board sold only to those who understand compliance issues and know how to properly use it, it's being sold in huge quantities to the general public on a 'plug it in and use it' basis who will simply do just that.

There are two solutions; ensure they go only to the right people ( which isn't the general public ) or ensure they can be sold to anyone. The decision has been taken to pursue the second course.

williamsj

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm

liz said:

Did you read the link to Pete's bit on element14? I don't think you're going to see any spewing of EM or anything catching fire; our own tests suggest the bare board will be fine.

Hi Liz,

I think you missed the point, I was being rather sarcastic towards the bureaucrats. Any PCB can overheat and catch fire and all PCBs emit EM. That's why they have to put them in nice screened cases these days; unless you are a development system. This is what I fear they will try to do with the Pi.

I have an Asuro Robot from Conrads, and when I get it to do a dance, it plays havoc with the audio off my Mac...  But it is sold in kit form, and therefore only the components need to be CE certified.

williamsj

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:53 pm

GordonH said:

John said:

Mine still works:

And that has a whopping 256 bytes of RAM on-board...

There is an almost pristine one on display at the National Museum of Computing though...

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I was not so nice to my first one, expanded memory and added a vt100 serial port. But still have it and 2 other kits I never assembled (OK never had time to).

Also have Nascom, TRS80 and Kemitron systems... Sigh the good old days

John

Vindicator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Bureaucrats,

My fear is they are as lazy as the ones I work with, I have been waiting for 3 months on one and 4 months on another machine for a $300.00 surge suppressor so I can fix each of these 1/2 million dollar machines and can not get them to order the suppressors, I built one suppressor out of 2 burned suppressors this week just so I could test a machine so I could get my final parts list to do the final repairs and our in house electrician was to lazy to build a test unit like I did and had to justify to the supervisor why I should because the electrician convinced him it would be to dangerous for him to do the rebuild himself for the last 3 months.

(the machine ran great with my rebuilt unit (no flames or death involved) by the way and a final parts list has been generated)still waiting for the suppressors!

So the bureaucracy statement means much too me.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Return to “General discussion”