offshore.kiwi@gmail.com

Re: Virtual Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Guys. You have the whole world champing at the bit for a slice of your Pi.

In the final dash for the line there were a couple of unexpected judder bars (sorry; sleeping policemen for those not of antipodean extraction). No panic - it happens. Good old part sourcing/qualifying & compliance issues (welcome to the world of productisation - brutal isn't it?!). I work as a development lead for a network box manufacturer - so believe me - I feel your pain. Be thankful you're not producing an RF product

So - here I am waiting for my Pi. Farnell (I live in continental Europe) gave me a shipping date of end-of-March when I finally managed to place my order. Since then they've gone decidedly silent and last time I checked my expected shipping date was week 19 and counting.

So given the amazing over subscription (and minor launch niggles) - how about making a downloadable (in some form) virtual Raspberry Pi available to all your loyal fans? You certainly have the smarts for it, and surely have a vested interest in maintaining interest until the real metal ships.

What say you?

SN

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 pm

We say search for qemu and debian image and find your prayers answered

I am not speaking for the rpf here by the way
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 am

Here's a more specific answer, since just searching for qemu and debian will return a lot of extraneous old cruft:

A matrix of the Linux ARM distributions now available for the R-Pi and in development:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions

Running R-Pi on Debian via an ARM emulator in QEmu within VirtualBox on Windows:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all

Running R-Pi on Fedora 14 via an ARM emulator in QEmu:

http://www.cnx-software.com/20.....x-in-qemu/

Note that you may need to start with a freshly rebooted host system - I had issues when I tried to run Debian in VirtualBox on Windows 7 until after I rebooted Windows.

Hope this helps.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

offshore.kiwi@gmail.com

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 am

Excellent - thank you!

gordon@drogon.net

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 am

Just to add something else to this... Remember than the R-Pi is just another Linux box.

Nothing more, nothing less, it's just Linux inside. Like other "PC" systems, it has a built-in graphics card, Ethernet and USB ports. It is an ARM processor, (as oposed to x86, Sparc, MIPS, and who knows what else Linux runs on these days), but really that's not as big an issue as you may think. It is a bit slower and has less RAM than your average PC though - and that may be a consideration. It also has some general purpose digital IO pins, but you're not going to be able to really use them in an emulator anyway.

So... While you can run up QEMU (and I have - e.g. http://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb4.png  is my BASIC running inside QEMU running the RPi Debian image), it's really an academic excercise right now. You'd be far better off having a look at the Linux distributions and trying them out on an ordinary PC (that's an x86 type PC) So for example get Debian and configure it with the LXDE desktop manager and you've got something that /looks/ the same as a real RPi - at least from a keyboard and screen point of view.

I've now more or less abandoned using QEMU - it was a nice excercise for me to test my own software and to make sure the Debian iamge had the right libraries installed, but now I've gone back to my (Debian) Linux desktop to continue my own software development as it's much (much!) faster...

So unless you have a pressing need to write ARM assembly code or be part of the (excellent) efforts by those investigating the floating point ABI, then I'd suggest simply getting a Linux distribution and installing it on your current desktop, or a spare old PC if you have one.

That is the beauty of Linux - it can be the same no matter where! I've had a Linux desktop for the past 18 years, have used Debian Linux on Sparc, ARM and x86 type processors so maybe for me the R-Pi is just another computer that can run Linux, but it's still exciting, even if it is just another Linux box!

I did make a posting here based on stuff I found elsewhere - mostly as a bit of an aide-memoire for myself, but it might help you get QEMU going, if I haven't put you off

http://drogon.net/blog/2012/03.....mu-debian/
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

atcapollo

Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Agreed it's rather an academic exercise to run the RPi ARM images on x86 unless you specifically need the ARM virtualisation, this is the guide I used to get me up and running http://confoundedtech.blogspot.....ebian.html

manfat2000

Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

I can confirm that the RasPi Debian distro works under QEMU on Windows 7 x64 using the following command line -

qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel-qemu -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1" -hda debian6-19-04-2012.img -clock dynticks

NOTE: I think the -clock option may be important

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm

manfat2000 said:

I can confirm that the RasPi Debian distro works under QEMU on Windows 7 x64 using the following command line -

qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel-qemu -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1" -hda debian6-19-04-2012.img -clock dynticks

Does this enable all of the host computer's resources to pass through to the emulated Pi, particularly network connections and access to USB devices?  That's been an ongoing issue with running QEmu directly under Windoze, while it seems to work very well using VirtualBox with no additional effort (VMware reportedly also provides this capability, although I haven't tried it myself).

The only reason I've bothered running an emulator is to test various software to see if it will run within the Pi resources at the software level.  Unfortunately, the really interesting features are in the GPU, which can only be tested "in the silicon", so, the wait goes on, and on, and on ...
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

atcapollo

Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm

VirtualBox runs the ARM image?

Jim Manley

Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 pm

atcapollo said:

VirtualBox runs the ARM image?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....-added-cow

Note that you may need to reboot Windoze after installing VirtualBox and this image, especially if your Windoze system doesn't have more than 2 GB of RAM and has been running for quite a while, with a bunch of background processes sitting around still chewing up RAM even though associated applications may not be running.

atcapollo

Wed May 09, 2012 1:23 am

err that link runs Ubuntu x86 in VirtualBox not the RPi image (since VirtualBox can't emulate ARM)… and then emulates Debian ARM from within Ubuntu via QEMU.

Virtualising the ARM image directly on x86 using
QEMU directly is rather academic… that said running an emulator (QEMU Debian) within an emulator (VirtualBox Ubuntu) on Windows is strange full stop.

Edit: I see the double emulation appears to be due to native QEMU issues on Windows with ethernet and USB pass through, although I've used QEMU on XP plenty of times running Debian without issue re: networking or USB. These days +1 for not running Windows as the host O/S.

Return to “General discussion”