raptor49

Re: Pete Lomas's take on the compliance issues

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Because of the CE compliance test(s), will that change the price of PI?

Chromatix

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Nope.  The testing is a one-time thing, so the cost of it disappears pretty well when spread over a million boards.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

arm2

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 pm

mole125 said:

That's easy, the ground pin on the GPIO connector.

How do you connect say a Real Time Clock at the same time?

I don't think there is an easy answer.

arm2

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

John Beetem said:

arm2 said:

BigAxe said:

#3 Ground RPi to case.

Any ideas how?

Were on the RPi would you connect?

According to the power supply schematic (ses RasPi Wiki), you can use the outer shell of the power supply connector S1 provided that 0 Ohm resistor R51 is installed (as it is on the Beta board photo).  I hope the HDMI shell is also grounded or my cheap HDMI cables won't work.  The Ethernet and USB shells may also be grounded as well.  We'll know better when we have complete schematics and/or boards.

Not ideal but I suspect that that type of connection is the only way!

Though I don't know how you make a connection to the microUSB socket shell, soldering to a shell is unreliable at best!

Phoenix RasPi

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:20 pm

rurwin,

I hadn"t looked at the typical microwave oven leakage numbers in quite a while, and they"ve come down to about 0.2 mw/cm^2. So, if we assume a box 30 cm on each side, that gives us a roughly 30 * 30 * 6 sides = 5,400 cm^2 of surface area. Multiply by the 0.2 mw/cm^2 and we get about 1 watt, which is probably more than what"s coming off an unshielded RasPi board and unintended HDMI transmission antenna. I suppose the Foundation could always offer them up as backup broadcast transmitters to the BBC, which could probably use the help these days.

Just have people display a live BBC channel or digital video file for a movie on their RasPi and, voila, the entire neighborhood has a crisp, clear HDTV signal to pirate. Yeah, I know, it"s not in the broadcast frequency range and not modulated, but, if their antenna is pointed at the closest neighbor"s with a RasPi, maybe they could pick up the video directly without all that pesky demodulation required otherwise

~10 dB is roughly an order of magnitude. 10 dB (without the tilde/"~") is exactly an order of magnitude. Hey, I was asleep, and usually do 3 dB 2:1 conversions in my head all day and night (I"ve been doing binary math for way too long).

Well, that was fun! Another lesson we can include in the RasPi educational materials ...

Return to “General discussion”