woodchuck

Maxima in Wheezy?

Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 am

If the rumor is true that the Wheezy distro actually contains Maxima, how does one go about finding and installing it?

ghans

Re: Maxima in Wheezy?

Wed May 22, 2013 6:56 am

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install maxima
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

woodchuck

Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

Thank you!!

I imagine the same approach would also be used to find and install OpenVG. I'll give that a try, too. :)

DirkS

Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 am

FYI: You can search what's available by using

Code: Select all

apt-cache search whateveryouarelookingfor
It also searches descriptions so sometimes you may even find an alternative to what you were looking for.

Gr.
Dirk.

woodchuck

Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 pm

I think my mind is officially boggled. RPi and Raspbian are so much more than I imagined! The entire installation process of Maxima was amazing to behold. Couldn't believe it was happening on a $35 board with an SD card as the drive!

I did encounter one problem, though. When the whole installation was through and LXTerminal was back to the $ prompt, I closed the terminal window and went in search of a Maxima icon. Didn't find one. So I figured I ought to reboot. Still no Maxima icon.

Years and years of Windows have not prepared me for Linux. What would be the next step in bringing up Maxima?

dr_d_gee

Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Try the menus. It might be listed under Education; if not, try looking in Other (a very long list). Failing that, open a terminal window and type maxima at the prompt.

You might also like to install a "better" interface in the form of wxmaxima; haven't tried this on the Pi so I can't say how it will perform.

woodchuck

Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Thank you, Dr. Entering "maxima" at the prompt worked perfectly. So delighted to have Maxima on RPi!

Return to “General discussion”