pjc123

Re: Maker Fairey Tales - NOOBS and Pidora and Wayland, Oh My

Sat May 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks. Anything shorter than months is good to hear. I just ordered another SD card to play around with it.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 pm

pjc123 wrote:NOOBS? "Interesting" choice of an acronym, giving the impression that it is for newbies.
Liz said that it took them a while to shoe-horn in the words that form the NOOBS acronym because they sort of started with the acronym and worked their way backwards to the words, instead of the traditional process where the words come first to form the acronym. Going back to the 1950s, there was the ~50,000 vacuum tube SAGE system that was named before the words were picked to be Semi-Automated Ground Environment. You would be hard-pressed to decipher the acronym or name to determine that it was the first computer-aided air defense system meant to thwart the prospect of thousands of incoming Soviet nuclear bomber aircraft. SAGE predated the rabid use of TLAs in the military - the ubiquitous Three Letter Acronyms, starting with DoD and running the gamut from there, as OSS (Office of Special Services, later aka the CIA) did the same in the non-DoD agencies.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

gritz

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 pm

As someone who always finds himself fighting the corner for non-geeks I have to say that acronyms are the work of Satan - and Satan appears to be sporting a corduroy jacket with leather patches on the elbows and a row of pens in the breast pocket.

"NOOBS" - ugh! I suppose it gets the job done, but it's not very inclusive, is it? Why not just give it a proper name with real words and stuff? This isn't the military, NASA, or some focus group or middle management meeting. Aren't we supposed to be cutting through the fog and making all this technomological whatnot more accessible? The geeks have been ruling computing for more than two generations now - and yet we're still in the Dark Ages. Time to move on! :lol:

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:59 am

gritz wrote:As someone who always finds himself fighting the corner for non-geeks I have to say that acronyms are the work of Satan - and Satan appears to be sporting a corduroy jacket with leather patches on the elbows and a row of pens in the breast pocket.

"NOOBS" - ugh! I suppose it gets the job done, but it's not very inclusive, is it? Why not just give it a proper name with real words and stuff? This isn't the military, NASA, or some focus group or middle management meeting. Aren't we supposed to be cutting through the fog and making all this technomological whatnot more accessible? The geeks have been ruling computing for more than two generations now - and yet we're still in the Dark Ages. Time to move on! :lol:
I feel your pain as a lifelong bridge between the Nerdocracy and Real Worlds (and then some). Acronyms and jargon exist in every profession and walk of life - just listen to the dialogue in a typical medical or crime show to see just how bad things could be! The obvious advantage of acronyms is brevity and potentially as a mnemonic device, at the cost of immediate comprehension at first encounter. They can also provide improved precision, especially if there is a well-developed syntax, semantics, taxonomy, etc. One of the darker reasons for jargon is to increase the exclusivity of a group since it enables practitioners to cloak their work in an effort to raise the barrier-to-entry in order to reduce competition, and that's certainly the case with commercially-developed technology involving intellectual property (e.g., copyrights and patents).

You're right, we need to do a much better job translating the technical jargon to human language, which is part of the purpose of the educational material being developed with support from the Foundation. NOOBS also needs a lot of help as has been noted in other threads, e.g., Pidora doesn't even come up with an option to use startx to bring up an X desktop without additional packages being installed first (due to an early version being included in the NOOBS image, which is being corrected in the next version).

We look forward to your significant contributions to the educational content ... oh, no one told you that "He that complaineth, gets to contributeth."? Well, now you know :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”