- LDV

abishur

Re: I Give Up!!

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 pm

holeysocks said:

Newark told me today that my projected Aug. 2012 delivery date may not happen

The man said they had thousands of orders,,

Thanks to those who answered questions

I seriously trust nothing those call members or live chat people say.  In my experience, they usually have no idea what the thing even is and are trying their best to interpret a sheet of paper (or database entry) that makes no sense and has a jillion margin notes tucked away on the side.  The e-mails they send tend to be reliable (tend to be), just keep a front eye on the home page.  The RPF is being diligent to provide information as it becomes available despite the constant howling that comes with every update that the information isn't good enough or doesn't count as an update.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Enlightenment

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm sure almost everyone would take a RPi today, even without compliance testing.  Just mark it as educational and "as is" and I'll take mine now

spurious

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 pm

You reject or refuse your order.. people who are generally interested in the project will benefit!

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 am

just wait until you get an email saying your order is progressing - or check on the website .
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

dognosh

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:31 am

Just like "Infinity:quest for earth" I am happy to wait for a good thing

(the former being in production for 6 years now !!!)

grumpyoldgit

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 am

A bit like the wait for the Acorn Electron.

meltwater

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

A bit like the wait for the Acorn Electron.

I hope not...I've seen micromen...it does not end well.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

JoeDaStudd

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:08 am

Sssh.
Let them give up then the rest of us will have our Raspberry Pi's sooner ;-D

Silva Girl

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:26 am

JoeDaStudd said:

Sssh.
Let them give up then the rest of us will have our Raspberry Pi's sooner ;-D

I agree! Heh, heh.

Tronetix

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm

To speed up assembly production, which is where any lag will be, The RPi should come default without the RCA, Audio and GPIO connectors. Perhaps even some others that are thru-hole. Just let the end user determine which connectors he/she wants and supply them in a bag. Will save alot of time in production not having manually soldered parts in the mix.

It seems everything else I buy, especially stuff from China, there is some assembly required anyways.

Phil Spiegel

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Remember the PRIME purpose of the RPi is to supply schools etc ... and to have several class-sets (or even 1 per pupil) arrive at the beginning of term, and THEN require soldering to complete when not all school technicians may be practiced in the art, ... but also bearing in mind the time taken and the warranty situation ... and how to you prove or disprove the product is working correctly if the essential output connectors are not fitted?  The education/release boards will be cased at-source, but still require to be the same product for stock and support.

No, they've got it right ... especially now they share the same amount of memory ... as ethernet and more USB ports CAN be added via USB hubs.  - even this is a 40% price difference in upfront-costing.

n3tw0rk5

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 pm

It's a system auto generated error at the Newark/element14 end just ignore, apparently they are sorting it.

Lynbarn

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Tronetix said:

To speed up assembly production, which is where any lag will be, The RPi should come default without the RCA, Audio and GPIO connectors. Perhaps even some others that are thru-hole. Just let the end user determine which connectors he/she wants and supply them in a bag. Will save alot of time in production not having manually soldered parts in the mix.

It seems everything else I buy, especially stuff from China, there is some assembly required anyways.

Deleting those items from the build will make very little difference to the assembly process - probably only a matter of seconds. Getting the cost down is the most likely reason for deleting components, and if, as it seems, they can be produced fully populated within the target price, then not only are they provided, but a de facto standard is established for peripheral attachment via these headers. It would seem sensible, on balance, to include them fully fitted.

nick.mccloud

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:12 am

Lynbarn said:

Tronetix said:

Deleting those items from the build will make very little difference to the assembly process – probably only a matter of seconds. Getting the cost down is the most likely reason for deleting components, and if, as it seems, they can be produced fully populated within the target price, then not only are they provided, but a de facto standard is established for peripheral attachment via these headers. It would seem sensible, on balance, to include them fully fitted.

These connectors will be just a few cents and take only a few seconds to fit although they are likely to be hand soldered. My preference is that they come with the GPIO header on – I'm happy to get people to solder an interface board together from a kit of parts (Gertboard or mine or some other) but less keen on the newly-introduced-to-soldering to add things to a working Pi board less it stop being a working Pi board and become an ornament.

Return to “General discussion”