basel

Re: Soft SIP Client

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:13 pm

the best sip client i have found is linphone , it have a CLI and you can pipe commands to it vey easy and to do scripts to do calls or answer calls
to install it write
sudo apt-get install linphone

to use CLI type
linphonec

to pipe commands to programe
linphonecsh

chnyc

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Basel,

Have you had occasion to test Linphone's videophone feature, as well? If so, how did it perform on the RPi?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Charles

basel

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 pm

actually i didn't till now but i will start to trying because i think that there will be some problems because of the cams power consumption but i will give it a try

chnyc

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 am

Great. I'll look forward to your findings. BTW, I wasn't clear on your setup: would you be using the RPi camera or a webcam with Linphone?

Charles

chnyc

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

chnyc wrote:Great. I'll look forward to your findings. BTW, I wasn't clear on your setup: would you be using the RPi camera or a webcam with Linphone?

Charles
Basel,
Have you had any success using the video side of Linphone, yet?

And do you use the Raspicam? I've been trying to get Raspicam to work with Linphone since it may be a better choice for video telephony than a webcam. Would you have any thoughts about that?

Also, I'd been using the compiled binary on Linphone.org, but keep reading in various places that a recompile and install is probably best. I'm a noob, so I'm having some difficulty understanding the precise steps and commands for doing the build. I've spent a lot of time googling around for the procedure but without success. And on the linphone.org site (http://www.linphone.org/eng/download/git.html) they have very rudimentary instructions. Would you mind outlining the steps for compiling and installing?

Thanks very much for any guidance you can lend.
Charles

chnyc

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:56 pm

zachgold wrote:"All we want is a basic non GUI SIP client that can be used on a headless Pi - essentially just auto answering inbound calls, piping audio output through the audio jack to a separate device, and possible using a USB microphone desk based mic"

I'm trying to solve this exact same problem right now. Do you have any further news regarding this? I've run into these same problems. PJSUA seems so perfect, but I just can't seem to get that to work. Granted I abandoned that a bit early after I couldn't get it to build on a mac.

I looked into linphone as well, specifically for their command line tools (http://www.linphone.org/eng/documentati ... ntrol.html). I got it running without much trouble, but when anything happens, (call is requested, call dialled etc), linphonec blocked and then froze the terminal instance. Using linphonecsh is supposed to prevent it from blocking, but even after using that to trigger the linphonec daemon, it didn't seem to give me any feedback that the call was happening or being received. I had headphones had hooked up and I also I didn't hear the call work. I tried it with both the autoanswer mode on and off, and no luck.

I have a GUI based app called ekagi working, but the linux version is at 3.2.7 wheras the windows one is 4.0, and the autoanswer feature was added in at 3.3. My hope was that I could somehow figure out a way to script the screen or something if I could get a GUI version working. That's probably not a good route though.
Hello,

For a similar softphone project, I've been struggling with Linphone recently, trying to compile the latest version from source. One of the reasons I'm doing the build instead of just installing their binary is because video functionality is very limited with the pre-compiled version. And my project requires video.

So far, I've not gotten a successful compile; the dependencies are killing me, along with the opaque README file. And the Linphone dev team doesn't have a lot of resources for support.

Were you ever successful at finding a suitable SIP client or getting Linphone compiled from source?

Regards,
CharlesH

chnyc

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello,

I appreciate everyone's contributions on this thread, as it's been extremely helpful in jumpstarting my approach for building a video-enabled softphone on my RPi B. Here are my (incomplete) results so far in searching for the right client app, along with some questions.

LINPHONE
I've been trying to wrangle and compile from source the VOIP app Linphone, hoping to install it on my RPi. An actual compile is required, as I understand it, in order to enable video functionality. However, I've had nothing but trouble getting it to compile. The README files with Linphone are incomplete, opaque, and full of typos for many of the pkg dependencies. And the app's development team has limited resources, so they're not so speedy in responding to queries. A few quick questions:
  • 1) Has anyone successfully compiled from source and installed a current version of Linphone on their RPi? If so, would you mind sharing your steps? I'm happy to share mine, but I'm not convinced they're a roadmap to success right now.
    2) Do you know if the compile assumes that java is installed on the RPi?
EKIGA
Installed from binary. However, video (neither USB webcam nor RPi camera) recognized. If anyone's had another experience getting video to work, I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

JITSI
A not particularly fun compile and install, but I did finally get it "working." It's deathly slow on the Pi, however. Perhaps I haven't optimized it for the Pi, but in its current config, it's really unusable given the screen latency.

PJSIP
Just installed this, and I'll be testing it over the next several days. I'm skeptical that it'll support video calls, but we shall see.

Has anyone had any success -- or know of projects -- with any of the tools above making video calls? Or, might you have other suggestions beyond these for a client app on the Pi?

Thanks very much for any thoughts and guidance.
CharlesH

mpodroid

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:06 am

I plan to add video support to my door-berry project, based on pjsip.

I experimented a bit some months ago, but I'm afraid that Raspberry support to USB is very very bad and could not probably support both audio and video: currently, I had to force USB 1.1 to avoid packet loss on USB bus.

Maybe, a good solution is to move to rasperry camera.

hank007

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:10 pm

A CLI based SIP client for the Pi. Uses USB audio. Based on a proprietary SIP stack.
See help for available commands.
Note: It will work work with Ethernet only. Request a WiFi version!

Cheers

PS: Forgot to mention, you need to rlogin to port 5130 to access the CLI.
Attachments
rpiphone.zip
SIP client for RPi
(57.6 KiB) Downloaded 815 times

mikeybsae

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:10 am

I would like to get a sip client running on raspbian that will autoanswer all incoming calls. It will be used for intercom type functionality. The RPi will not have a microphone, it will only play the audio of the incoming call.

hank007: I tried using your CLI sip phone but I was not able to control it in any way. It starts up ok and I get the following output:

HK400VOP Firmware Build 2315

Initializing kernel......
Configuring system.......
Initializing sound.......
Initializing network.....
Initializing UI..........
Initializing signalling..
Adding supported codecs...
Registering with server...
FindSession: No matching registry

I tried to: rlogin -p 5130 localhost
but the command just hangs...

if I: telnet localhost 5130
I get a connection, so the port appears to be open and listening, but I'm not sure how to connect to it or send commands to it...

can you give any better instructions on how to use this properly?

I also tried using linphone with the CLI linphonec. It starts and registers properly with freepbx running on another machine, but it crashes on me immediately when a call connects without giving me any feedback. The CLI just freezes. I have to kill -9 the linphonec PID to get it to die.

I can't seem to figure out how to get sflphone to work with a headless RPi. So I'm out of ideas. Seems like a pretty simple goal...

Can anyone provide any help or suggestions?

hank007

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 pm

1- You have to run it as root
2- It will work with eth0 only (interface name it hard coded for now)
3- You need a real rlogin client which is available in PuTTY

For now, there is no auto answer mode but can be implemented.

Cheers
Hank

guffy

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:48 pm

mikeybsae wrote:I would like to get a sip client running on raspbian that will autoanswer all incoming calls. It will be used for intercom type functionality. The RPi will not have a microphone, it will only play the audio of the incoming call.

hank007: I tried using your CLI sip phone but I was not able to control it in any way. It starts up ok and I get the following output:

I tried to: rlogin -p 5130 localhost
but the command just hangs...

if I: telnet localhost 5130
I get a connection, so the port appears to be open and listening, but I'm not sure how to connect to it or send commands to it...

can you give any better instructions on how to use this properly?

I also tried using linphone with the CLI linphonec. It starts and registers properly with freepbx running on another machine, but it crashes on me immediately when a call connects without giving me any feedback. The CLI just freezes. I have to kill -9 the linphonec PID to get it to die.

I can't seem to figure out how to get sflphone to work with a headless RPi. So I'm out of ideas. Seems like a pretty simple goal...

Can anyone provide any help or suggestions?
Hi. I was just wondering if you have had any success. I'm just starting on a similar project.
Thanks

hig_jevans

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 am

I would also be very interested in this,

I assume this is the same binary as the ones used here?

http://www.eicss.com/

Using a PI for a SIP Intercom would be way better then a cheap handset or an ATA

SamF

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Hank,
Can you give us some more info?

hank007

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 pm

SamF wrote:Hank,
Can you give us some more info?
I haven't seen any kind of feedback from any of those who downloaded the binary. Nevertheless, this is a demo binary built from our proprietary VoIP stack source base that we use in our products. The stack was experimentally ported to RPi and the port was successful. We thought we could share it with other RPi users. If somebody needs customization for commercial purpose, please visit our website.

SamF

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 am

Hank,

I would be interested in trying it.
I am noob - What do I do with this download?
I do not see it has an extension type.
Is run on Raspberry?

Thanks-

hank007

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm

SamF wrote:Hank,

I would be interested in trying it.
I am noob - What do I do with this download?
I do not see it has an extension type.
Is run on Raspberry?

Thanks-
Zipped is an ELF binary which can be run in RPi shell. First unzip and change permissions to executable:

>$ chmod 777 rpiphone

Run as root (you may be root by default)

>$ sudo ./rpiphone

Please note that (as mentioned above), it will work with Ethernet interface eth0 only. Unfortunately, the binary has to be rebuilt with some modifications to support WiFi device.

If everything goes ok, you should see the prints as posted by mikeybsae but no CLI. To access the CLI, you need to rlogin to port 5130. Now if you run rlogin from Linux shell, it invokes ssh because rlogin is no longer supported in Linux (we are using it because it is easy to implement). You need to download PuTTY which has rlogin client. Select rlogin as client and type in IP address of your Pi and port 5130. Press 'Open' and you should see rpiphone CLI. Please enter 'help' for available commands. The first thing you would like to do is configure your SIP account using ippconfig command. Further note that rpiphone uses USB audio, so USB audio device should be plugged in before powering up your Pi.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues and I will guide you further.

Cheers

Hank

SamF

Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Hank
Thanks for the explanation, I will test it shortly.

SamF

Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Hank

Thanks - I made progress.

I am using Archlinux - A USB sound card
I installed the card via this post
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 6&p=333438
and it seems to be working.

When using the software i get this

unable to open pcm device for capture: No such file or directory

As well I notice i get it registered if anything goes wrong or even after a reboot I need to delete ee.bin and start over or else status stays at pending.

hank007

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:27 pm

SamF wrote:Hank

Thanks - I made progress.

I am using Archlinux - A USB sound card
I installed the card via this post
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 6&p=333438
and it seems to be working.

When using the software i get this

unable to open pcm device for capture: No such file or directory

As well I notice i get it registered if anything goes wrong or even after a reboot I need to delete ee.bin and start over or else status stays at pending.
"unable to open pcm device for capture: No such file or directory" is an indication that USB audio device is not the default device. Once you make it default one, there shouldn't be any issues.
Not sure what the ee.bin issue is! Are configuration parameters ok when it shows pending?

SamF

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Hank-
I figured out some of the issue of ee.bin, it only allow you to save the server in numeric.
It still doesnt answer if you use alpha why you cant overwrite and must delete it first.

Putting that aside I am still struggling to get the sound card recognized.
As far as it looks to me the USB is set for both speaker and mic as default, the arecord and aplay test confirmed that.

Thanks

hank007

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Can you test it out in raspbian as we have done the same. Please see logs posted by someone above (running in raspbian) where there is no audio issue.

Cheers
Hank

techwharf

Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Has anyone had any luck since late 2013 to use RPi as a VoIP/SIP client?

hank007

Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 am

Already using RPi as SIP client. Have you tried the binary posted in this discussion?

hank007

Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 am

There is a newer version of the same client posted here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... nt#p552207

The version has a local CLI as well an auto-answer mode.

Return to “General discussion”