realslowlike

Re: Ubuntu on RPi

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 am

On the ubuntu wiki there is a page for ARM support and under one of the paragraphs there is a little about armv6....

Limited support for earlier instruction sets (ARMv5t, ARMv6) was available in early releases of the ARM port (jaunty, karmic).

Does the jaunty jackalope build of ubuntu work on this chip?

rmm200

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 am

Good luck with it - but I really feel Ubuntu is a distribution to avoid for now given their statements on arm support. Debian is great - and the foundation likes Fedora...

realslowlike

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 am

I really don't think ubuntu meant it that way, they probably just meant they don't have the resources to devote until it becomes a more hotly requested item.  That being said, the engineers meant to run ubuntu originally but were not able to find a way to do it.  But maybe with one of the older builds, when they were first starting arm support, will run correctly.

Jessie

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 am

If you decide to run Ubuntu at this point you are on your own completly.  The foundation dosn't support Ubuntu, and Ubuntu dosn't support the ARM core in this processor.  There is a chance it could be made to work, but why not just get a distro that activly supports this ARM processor and this device?

I saw a video with Eben where he stated that he was asked to remove anything about Ubuntu from this site.  That is how much they want you using their software on this device.

Could you possibly get an older version to work?  Yeh but it will contain all the bugs and exploits and won't be patchable.  I've been working with Arch the last two months and like it.  Others here like other distros, they are all good.  Fedora will be the supported distro on this site and the rest you will have to take up questions on their respective forums.  Which is where you should point this question about Ubuntu.  Go to their forums and see if you can get an answer out of them.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 am

Allegedly, Ubuntu 9.0.4 is the last version that could even theoretically be run on the R-Pi, as that"s the last one to support ARM 11v6. IIRC, Eben was running a minimal subset of Ubuntu 9.x in one of the earliest videos, but, there were issues that needed help from the Ubuntu team, and they said, "Sorry, we"re not going to bring ARM 11v6 support into the current Ubuntu distro, and we"re no longer supporting 9.x." Don"t take this as gospel, as it"s what I dimly recall from very late-night on-line sessions

abishur

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Newbie said:

Allegedly, Ubuntu 9.0.4 is the last version that could even theoretically be run on the R-Pi, as that"s the last one to support ARM 11v6. IIRC, Eben was running a minimal subset of Ubuntu 9.x in one of the earliest videos, but, there were issues that needed help from the Ubuntu team, and they said, "Sorry, we"re not going to bring ARM 11v6 support into the current Ubuntu distro, and we"re no longer supporting 9.x." Don"t take this as gospel, as it"s what I dimly recall from very late-night on-line sessions

+1
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

steviewevie

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 pm

There are some interesting comments in the official Ubuntu bug tracker on this in bug number 848154, which someone raised asking for Ubuntu support for the Raspi and ARMv6. Specifically from a Canonical employee (though posting a personal opinion rather than an official one) :

all of the ubuntu archive is built for cortex-a8 and beyond with all optimization features the v7 architecture offers (minus NEON which we forbid to be build-time enabled by default due to teh fact that we support non NEON armv7 devices) this includes features like thumb2 i.e. vfpv3-d16, softfp and armv7-a ... with the next release we will also start move to hardfloat by default

while dropping v5/v6 support was a move that hurts, it was a requirement to get the best optimization out of the v7 arch.
if we would in parallel want to support v6 and older alongside with v7 that would mean to have a full binary archive in parallel (17000 source packages) for this arch. additionally to not slow down general operations that would need dedicated build machines and a team of say 3-5 persons full time that take over maintenance for the packages, builds and archive (more people if you actually want to develop images for a target board).

the situation you ask to resolve is pretty much like demanding i386 support for all intel packages in favor of dropping things like MMX or co-processor support or other very basic optimization that only entered this arch in 486 or pentium times. if we would do that on intel ubuntu would crawl there ...

canonical invests a lot into having the arm images and the port available, but ubuntu is not an embedded distro, its focus is on building desktop and server images and the current defaults for the arm port are focused on HW that can run these setups (dual core 1GHz, at least 1G ram etc).

if raspberry (or anyone else) would reliably commit to invest into the above resources (buildds, a few fulltime people etc) to cover the costs for such a port (and for its ongoing maintenance) i dont think this would be refused though. canonical whatsoever will very likely go on to cover only v7 and beyond.

note that, while i'm a canonical employee in the ubuntu arm team, the above is my personal opinion and view of the situation, i'm not speaking for the company here and would personally appreciate a v6 port but the resources have to come from somewhere for this.

i know that linaro has a plan (but thats still in its infancy) to provide an easy way to maintain your own archive rebuild locally for such cases where people want un-optimized binaries for older arm versions, it might make sense to contact them about the status of this project.

Return to “General discussion”