RaTTuS

Re: Pi as Video player;software?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am

the software that will be available will expand on the foundation pages a lot after we get hold of them until then we have a small collection of stuiff
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JoeDaStudd

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am

ProDigit you need to remember that the general release and average Joe release wasn't supposed to be until batch 2 or later.
The initial batches were supposed to be for hobbyists, devs and programmers. The idea being they would write the documentation and create the programs for the average Joe and less tech savy people.

Your comment about people being unable to use wiki's, search engines and the like is sadly true. However the Raspberry Pi is designed to be an educational tool, so if to find the documentation you have to learn how to use wiki's, search engines, etc its already being educational.

Personally I believe the use of wiki's, search engines and similar tools should be taught in schools as its an (almost) essential part of the internet.

mole125

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am

JoeDaStudd said:

Personally I believe the use of wiki's, search engines and similar tools should be taught in schools as its an (almost) essential part of the internet.

It is (in the UK at least) at primary school level - at least searching for information and how to evaluate and use that information. Clearly how well it is taught depends on the teacher.

bbramble

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:18 am

ProDigit said:

You are saying only some "elite" have the right to use this product?
That"s ridiculous!

It"s a product made for schoolkids!
Don"t tell me you need to be an expert at certain things to just USE the product!

No, I said the initial release is for people who know what it is and what to do with it, and if you are not able to use the internet to look for information then it's not the product you think it is.

It's a product intended to be used to teach school kids in a classroom environment.

If you are able and willing to put the effort in, you will get on absolutely fine, but don't complain that others are expecting you to be able to do just that.

abishur

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:31 pm

SN said:

@abishur I hope you weren"t referring to me as an Apple fan boi I"d be massively upset at that

lol no, but to the person I was talking about, please don't take offense, I can see you're quite passionate about apple products and I couldn't pass up a bit of teasing but I meant it in good fun
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

fakeplastic

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Besides the others mentioned already. there are some other more commercial projects that you might be interested in that will have a much more "ready-out-of-the-box" approach.

This one seems interesting, but I havn't seen anyone license it yet

http://alwaysinnovating.com/pr.....dongle.htm

And this one is more expensive, but might be available sooner:

http://store.cstick.com/

Not that I would want to discourage people from getting a rPi, but if you want something that you won't have to tinker with, these will be more to your liking.

Return to “General discussion”