jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: CSI camera module

Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 am

meltwater wrote:
jamesh wrote: I don't have a 512 board at all, and I wrote all the example software...
Way to step up for technical support there... :)
In fact, I did a lot of the dev work on a preproduction Raspi Pi, serial number 000000000000001!

Yup, I'm expecting some tech support calls/posts!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

meltwater

Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 am

jamesh wrote:
meltwater wrote:
jamesh wrote: I don't have a 512 board at all, and I wrote all the example software...
Way to step up for technical support there... :)
In fact, I did a lot of the dev work on a preproduction Raspi Pi, serial number 000000000000001!

Yup, I'm expecting some tech support calls/posts!
There always will be, such is life.

Will be fun as always to get it up and running. I have a feeling any mods I make to it will probably end up with white or black output as I mess up the exposure. I wouldn't mind trying out the higher frame rate modes for slow-motion at some point.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

simplesi

Wed May 15, 2013 3:08 pm

And here is mine :)

http://ow.ly/i/27yeB

:)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

DirkS

Wed May 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Just got mine too.

BTW: the UPS info was correct. The package I received is indeed 2kg. Over the last year I ordered a few bits and pieces from CPC and I just remembered that last time around they threatened to send me their complete catalog and that's what they did... all 3500 pages of it :o
I'm glad it didn't squash the camera.

Gr.
Dirk.

Zxa

Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Is there a way to detect if a camera is present via the command line, such that a script can be told to test if the camera is present before executing?
Like how we can use the board revision from '/proc/cpuinfo' to determine the GPIO layout, its obvious from looking at the board but nice to be able to determine in software.

simplesi

Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Now - which RPi 'bot is going to get it :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

leol

Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Mine arrived from CPC by Royal Mail. Box is a bit squashed but camera looks ok. Have to wait until this evening to try it.
Ordered at 0545 yesterday morning!

Leo

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Zxa wrote:Is there a way to detect if a camera is present via the command line, such that a script can be told to test if the camera is present before executing?
Like how we can use the board revision from '/proc/cpuinfo' to determine the GPIO layout, its obvious from looking at the board but nice to be able to determine in software.
Er, dunno a quick way. You could take the example code, and modify it (rip out loads of stuff) to just open and close the camera component. It will fail to create the component if no camera is present.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Ravenous

Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm

simplesi wrote:Now - which RPi 'bot is going to get it :)

Simon
Both. Have one take pictures of its surroundings, including the other, and send the other copies. That way both robots can have collision detection and the like with one camera.

(OK that's probably a bit advanced for the primary school! :ugeek: )

Or mount it on the ceiling with a third pi, and transmit the pictures to all of your robots. I think this is used for the robot football competitions and so on... (I'm half serious...)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Mine arrived by Royal mail with box a bit squished as well. Got it up and running within 5 minutes. I'd prepared everything yesterday.

Awesome job on the software James. Well done! :D

Now I've got back from teaching I'll try and do something more with it. I showed it to my class but there wasn't time to demo it. They were pleased that they might be the first class in the world to see one though. :)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 pm

alexeames wrote:Mine arrived by Royal mail with box a bit squished as well. Got it up and running within 5 minutes. I'd prepared everything yesterday.

Now I've got back from teaching I'll try and do something more with it. I showed it to my class but there wasn't time to demo it. They were pleased that they might be the first class in the world to see one though. :)
Glad you like it. I'm open to suggestions on improvements - for new features or ways to make the code itself easier to understand for beginners.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

jamesh wrote:
alexeames wrote:Mine arrived by Royal mail with box a bit squished as well. Got it up and running within 5 minutes. I'd prepared everything yesterday.

Glad you like it. I'm open to suggestions on improvements - for new features or ways to make the code itself easier to understand for beginners.
My first hurdle is how to get the .h264 raw video files into something my editing suite can handle, like mp4. There must be an FFMPEG command or something, but I haven't figured it yet.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamesh

Wed May 15, 2013 6:26 pm

alexeames wrote:
jamesh wrote:

My first hurdle is how to get the .h264 raw video files into something my editing suite can handle, like mp4. There must be an FFMPEG command or something, but I haven't figured it yet.
I think I used avconv on ubuntu when I tried this. Just took a few (completely non-intuitive) command line options!

Return to “General discussion”