RobinJ

Re: VGA/DVI?

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:08 pm

I read that the Raspberry Pi will have an HDMI port... but what about a normal VGA/DVI? I haven't got a single monitor/television set in my house wich actually has an HDMI port... And it's the same with most people I know. A cheap computer to experiment with is great... but isn't much use if you've got to spend a bunch of money on a monitor/television with an HDMI port. Maybe it's a good idea to make it optional when you order one? I'd rather pay 5 euros more for a VGA/DVI port than having to buy a 200 euro monitor/television.
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

Michael

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:46 pm

The board won't have VGA or DVI output as both require additional components and both connectors are physically large. The board does have composite output though, so if your TV or monitor has composite input you are in luck.

You can also get HDMI to DVI-D and composite to Scart converters, so that might be another option.

abishur

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm

The "Read before posting" thread (which can be found in my signature) details the outputs the r-pi has. The wiki page is also an amazing resource. Among other things they mention that the r-pi also includes a composite RCA output for TVs/monitors that do not support HDMI. The idea of offering a HDMI->DVI/3.5mm audio for separate purchase is also being tossed around (I hope they do and brand it with their logo ;) ).
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

gerits

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Little problem with the forum though, if you search for VGA or DVI you get no results, even though this topic is made and I've also asked the same question in some other topic. So you can't really blame him for asking, because he would not have found the answer by searching for it.

@robinj: here is your $5 extra: http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI.....038;sr=8-1
vga to hdmi are not that expensive...

abishur

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:28 pm

That's why I suggested they look at the "Read before Posting" tread rather than searching for DVI/VGA :P

Thorn

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Quote from gerits on August 17, 2011, 19:20
@robinj: here is your $5 extra: http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI.....038;sr=8-1
vga to hdmi are not that expensive...

No! Always read the amazon reviews, those cables DO NOT WORK!

You cannot convert HDMI to VGA without a transcoder (eg the HDFury2). I was actually suckered into buying a VGA-HDMI cable before reading the amazon reviews.

Chris Tyler

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm

HDMI is the same as DVI-D signalling with the addition of audio during the retrace periods, so you just need a simple cable to connect an HDMI port to a DVI-D device (you won't get sound over that connection, but you should be able to use the 3.5mm analog audio port for that). However, DVI-A and VGA are both analog, so connecting an HDMI port to a DVI-A or VGA device require an active converter.

(@gerits -- the cable you mention is a special case for VGA->HDMI connections where the card can do digital output on the VGA port)

RobinJ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Quote from Michael on August 17, 2011, 17:46
The board won't have VGA or DVI output as both require additional components and both connectors are physically large. The board does have composite output though, so if your TV or monitor has composite input you are in luck.

You can also get HDMI to DVI-D and composite to Scart converters, so that might be another option.

What's a composite port? Never heard of that before...
And how much would an HDMI-to-DVI or composite-to-Scart cost me? I don't think that'll be very cheap either...
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.

DaQatz

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 pm

What's a composite port?
Composite Video

It's pretty standard for connecting to TV's. Well at least the old kind.

Chris Tyler

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm

@RobinJ - HDMI to DVI adapters are pretty cheap, e.g., http://www.dealextreme.com/p/h.....apter-8308 - EUR2.06 - they're entirely passive.

RobinJ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Quote from Chris Tyler on August 18, 2011, 17:08
@RobinJ - HDMI to DVI adapters are pretty cheap, e.g., http://www.dealextreme.com/p/h.....apter-8308 - EUR2.06 - they're entirely passive.
I've got a bad experience with ordering adapters on dealextreme, they never work. Also, my package I ordered at the 19th of april has just been delivered.

Quote from DaQatz on August 18, 2011, 16:40
What's a composite port?
Composite Video

It's pretty standard for connecting to TV's. Well at least the old kind.
I've got one of those on my TV..... only I haven't got a cable >.<

magnitux

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Hello everyone.
for useRaspi with a VGA screen must have a cable (rca vga)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop.....2eb73b242a
and a Mini changeur HD15 Femelle/Femelle (VGA)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-HD.....415c51c26b
and a rca output output cable .
Sorry for my english im young french.

Gert van Loo

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 pm

You can't use the "Mini changeur HD15 Femelle/Femelle". Wrong type of video!
You just need a cable with at both ends what the English and Americans call 'phone' (And the Dutch call Tulip) plugs:

You plug that in the yellow connector of your TV. That gives you video but no sound. For sound either use headphone or connect the audio out of the Raspi to your TV the read and the white connector. You will need an adapter cable for that.

abishur

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:28 pm

It's actually a phono plug :P but most people recognize it as an "RCA" cable.

Return to “General discussion”