muwlgr

what to use as an UPS with 5v DC output ?

Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Dear all,

I see this item on AliExpress : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable ... 09945.html

What I think I need, is a kind of UPS, normally connected to 220v AC mains, preferably with multiple 5v 1A+ USB power outputs. Will this AliExpress device be fit for this purpose, or should I look for something different ? I would appreciate your pointers/links.

Now I use APC SmartUPS 1000, made in about 1998, with serial interface and apcupsd on Linux side.
Is there any way to get uninterruptible 5v DC out of it ? I don't need its output inverter, it will be only an additional efficiency loss in my setup.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

pjc123

Re: what to use as an UPS with 5v DC output ?

Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 pm

muwlgr wrote: Now I use APC SmartUPS 1000, made in about 1998, with serial interface and apcupsd on Linux side.
Is there any way to get uninterruptible 5v DC out of it ? I don't need its output inverter, it will be only an additional efficiency loss in my setup.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
I suppose you could completely remove the sine wave inverter and hook up one or more 12v or 24v (Not sure what is in there) to 5v converters directly to the battery. The issue might be the higher battery charging voltage.

I know this isn't what you want, but I run my pi's with usb chargers plugged into the AC outlets of my APC Back-UPS RS 1500. My Windows and Linux computers are also hooked up to the UPS. When my pi is in the field, I am running off of scooter batteries (Converted to 5V with a cigarette lighter adapter), but I charge those separately with a motorcycle charger after a few days usage.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

dliloch

Re: what to use as an UPS with 5v DC output ?

Thu May 23, 2013 2:51 pm

check out unibat.com .. you can run off the battery and have it charge at the same time .. very small light footprint. most small batteries I've seen can either charge or run but not both ...

Return to “General discussion”