lucian

LogiLink USB audio card with S/PDIF

Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 am

Hello all,

I have a RaspberryPi model B and I am running the latest version of raspbian and I would like to use it among other things to play movies. The problem I am having now is reagarding the sound. I can get great image through HDMI and the sound also but, I would love to use my 5.1 logitech sound system via S/PDIF instead of the stereo speakers on my TV. For this reason I was thinking of buying this USB audio card:

http://www.logilink.com/showproduct/UA0 ... anguage=en

Does anyone know if I will have problems installing and using the S/PDIF port?

Thank you very much for your help

gkreidl

Re: LogiLink USB audio card with S/PDIF

Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Even if there is a linux driver for it, you'll not be able to use it for the sound of movies, as usb sound cards are not supported by omxplayer (and will not be, at least not in the near future).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

lucian

Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

If this is the case, then is there a way for me to get the sound though S/PDIF? What can I do to accomplish this with a RaspberryPi?

Update:

I am starting to understand the problem a bit better now. If the omxplayer does not support this type of sound then is there another player that can be installed on raspbian which support such an usb audio card?

gkreidl

Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Not a video player which is supported by hardware acceleration (and all others are too slow). For audio only you can use usb audio cards, of course, with lots of different players. But you were asking for video with 5.1 passthrough to your sound system.

Maybe there is a hardware solution, splitting your sound from the hdmi cable to s/pdif.

Edit: maybe this one, search for: Ligawo ® HDMI Audio Extractor - HDMI to 2.1 Stereo - Toslink SPDIF / RCA
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

lucian

Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 am

Thank you for your suggestion!

I found this on amazon and I think I am going to buy it soon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-Premium- ... 21-2768937

It seems that this is the best solution and does not involve drivers and other problems that may arise with other audio cards. All I need now is to figure out how to install a remote control to the Pi and I am in business.

lucian

Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 am

I have found three others on the amazon.de site but I don't speak german and I am not sure which one is better. They seem quite similar:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CAQN ... =computers

and

http://www.amazon.de/Ligawo-%C2%AE-HDMI ... omputers_1

and

http://www.amazon.de/Ligawo-%C2%AE-Cinc ... omputers_8

I should order it from this site because the postage should be cheaper than the UK site. Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention that I live in Romania :)

gkreidl

Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am

I'm German and I also found it on amazon.de.

The first link is the right one (and cheapest!). But it is important, that your audio receiver has an optical input (not coax!).

It can output stereo sound to HDMI, analog and SPDIF at the same time. It can also pass 5.1 audio in AC3 or DTS to SPDIF.

One of the user reports came from a RasperryPi user!

Guenter

lucian

Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am

Thank you very much!

My audio system is a Logitech Z906 which has 2 optical inputs so I should be ok with it. I am already using one port for my xbox.

When you say that "It can also pass 5.1 audio in AC3 or DTS to SPDIF" does it mean that the movie or music I am playing must be encoded only in these formats? Anyway I am buying it!

This has been a very helpful discussion!

Cheers,

Lucian

Edit: Slight financial problem! It seems that on amazon.de the product is 38 odd euro and shipping is 63!?!?!?!?!

Found it on another site:

http://www.deluxecable.de/6518725-hdmi- ... a-6518725/

But I am still unsure about the two models (the one above and this https://www.deluxecable.de/audio-video- ... a-6518995/ ). It seems that the second one has an express switch between 2.1 and 5.1 configurations, while the first one is only 2.1

gkreidl

Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

even cheaper there (good company) - I hope the delivery to your country doesn't cost too much.

True, the second has a switch between 2.1 and 5.1 (if both are streamed, I suppose) - I'm not sure if omxplayer supports sending two audio streames in passthrough mode. It also has Coax and Optical outputs. And more formats supported, too.

lucian

Thu May 09, 2013 11:08 am

It works out a lot cheaper! For the more expensive model I pay 66.70 euros in total. It is a mystery to me why delivery is so expensive on amazon.

gkreidl

Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 am

You should report, how this works on the RPi. Might be a good solution for people running media centers on the RPi. There is also a cheaper version that only extracts HDMI audio to analog.

lucian

Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 am

I will report back once I have it up and running! It does seems to be the simplest solution for the sound problem.

lucian

Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello,

As I promised I am reporting back on the HDMI audio/video splitter I just ordered.

I just got it today and I am happy to report that it works flawlessly! I just had to plug-in the HDMI cable coming from the RaspberryPi into the small converter box and then another HDMI cable to the TV plus an optical cable to the sound system. Perfect! Sound and video came out as expected!

I did not have time to play around with the 2.1/5.1 setting but as far as I gathered, if the video has 5.1 sound then you get 5.1 sound in the speakers. I will play around with it more and if there are questions I will try to answer them.

Thanks a lot for your support and advice,

Lucian

yogitea

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Which adapter did you end up buying?

Thanks

lucian

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 pm

I got the second one with the 2.1 to 5.1 switch. The only thing is that your video file has to have 5.1 audio otherwise you will only get 2.1 sound through the 5.1 system. That's what i am getting anyway!

If there is a way to get around this I'd be glad to know!

Good luck

Return to “General discussion”