selectany

Re: I'll probably decline my RPi Farnell order

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm

I wanted RPi for HTPC use, but it is too early stage of development of PRi at all.

No official case, no utilization of GPU for GUI elements, no remote control …

At this moment It is better to buy Apple TV1 + Broadcom(BCM970015), which is under $100, and I already did. OpenELEC is great for this hardware configuration.

So, I intend to decline my order in Farnell, and I''ll might make someone happy with that . My estimated delivery date is in the mid May (it was 16 April, but … you know – manufacturing hiccup).

PS: Nevertheless, may be I will buy RPi in the near future.

TheCrazyInventor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Go right the heck ahead and cancel that order. More slots for the rest of us!
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

mobeyduck

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Just ignore this troll you don't want apple it may sound sweet but it burns your intestines.

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 pm

mkay.  It should be noted though that the debian distro does take (more) advantage of the GPU and the F-mix won't be far behind.  Though if a media center is what you're looking for, it might indeed be a good idea to let others work out the kinks
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

selectany

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I post this because there are many people intending to use RPi as HTPC.

My modest advice is: be patient and wait (if you can)

jojopi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Abishur said:

It should be noted though that the debian distro does take (more) advantage of the GPU and the F-mix won't be far behind.

I am sure you mean "has fewer alleged performance-related bugs than".

I have seen no statement to suggest any actual function that uses the GPU in one and not in the other.

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:35 pm

jojopi said:

Abishur said:

It should be noted though that the debian distro does take (more) advantage of the GPU and the F-mix won't be far behind.

I am sure you mean "has fewer alleged performance-related bugs than".

I have seen no statement to suggest any actual function that uses the GPU in one and not in the other.

Fair enough.  I'm basing my statement off the video and the comparison of the different distros.  I'm fairly certain the XBMC team is using the debian distro to run their program on and I know that XBMC itself is taking advantage of the GPU or else it would not function.  So I am making the inference that the debian build itself must be making some use of the GPU.  While it's not unheard of, it does seem unlikely that the program would interface with the GPU yet the distro be unable to.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

danielverza

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

mobeyduck said:

Just ignore this troll you don't want apple it may sound sweet but it burns your intestines.

I think maybe they *do* want Apple.

In fact, I believe that everyone who's not *completely sure* they want a Raspberry Pi should go ahead and get something else instead (AppleTV, WDTV, Boxee Box etc.). Because those are the ones most likely to be disappointed. Those are the ones who will come back bitching and moaning about having to *work on it* before they can actually *use it*.

Of course that is just *my* opinion....

SN

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 pm

My son came home today with a little Apple TV slab, plugged into our 42" HD TV and I'm extremely impressed with its capabilities and the way Airplay works - streaming and mirroring from his iPhone/iPad (and my Galaxy S II with a suitable App)

If you are an Apple victim then I see absolutely no reason to use a raspi as a media device except perhaps as a media server for the Apple TV) - spend the £99 and be done with it.

The raspi has far better/appropriate uses which Apple can go nowhere near, nor ever will do
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Thats ok.

The point is, you need to get the kit you'll be most comfortable with.  If you just want to plug'n'go and watch films, then its possible you shouldn't have been thinking about Raspberry Pi in the first place.

Not everyone here wants a Pi to consume streamed movies; in general they want to use them in a creative manner, for developing software, to enable new devices.  One less Pi doomed to media serfdom is one more Pi for community creativity.

Bye!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm

This whole thread has much the same flavor as a killfile announcement.

The old "I'm killfiling you!" (and somehow, you're supposed to feel bad at that, when your actual reaction is almost certainly one of relief if not outright joy).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

This whole thread has much the same flavor as a killfile announcement.

The old "I'm killfiling you!" (and somehow, you're supposed to feel bad at that, when your actual reaction is almost certainly one of relief if not outright joy).

Its more fun to tell someone

"Hey yes! You're probably making the right decision. Good luck!"

Leaves 'em completely stumped when they were expecting a defensive attitude. 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jojopi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Daniel Ferreira said:

I believe that everyone who's not *completely sure* they want a Raspberry Pi should go ahead and get something else instead (AppleTV, WDTV, Boxee Box etc.). Because those are the ones most likely to be disappointed.
Worth differentiating though.  If an adult can not decide between a guitar and a stereo, he should get the stereo.  If a kid can not decide between a guitar and a stereo, you should get him the guitar first.

Smartybones

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 pm

When I read the OP I did feel the heckles on my neck rise at the trollishness of the post. I mean, for [insert deity of choice] sake, posting on a forum for a product because you decided not to buy it.

Daniel Ferreira said:

Because those are the ones most likely to be disappointed. Those are the ones who will come back bitching and moaning about having to *work on it* before they can actually *use it*.
You are so right Daniel, and I cant help but think that there will be a massive amount of people that are going to buy a RPi only to be very disappointed. The mods are going to have a really busy time of it because it is likely to descend into a free for all bitch-fest as people defend the Pi against the hordes that are going to be disillusioned. the sort of person that should have bought a apple TV or any other apple product "because it just works" anyway.

I think it needs to be made really clear in the packaging  that the pi is posted out in that it is a development board and that all the current batch of software is not fully implementing the hardware yet.

It needs to be made clear that The RPi as it stands at the moment is really only suitable and of use to people developing software or hardware for the Pi ready for its consumer launch in Q3....

Tass

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 pm

jojopi said:

Daniel Ferreira said:

I believe that everyone who's not *completely sure* they want a Raspberry Pi should go ahead and get something else instead (AppleTV, WDTV, Boxee Box etc.). Because those are the ones most likely to be disappointed.

Worth differentiating though.  If an adult can not decide between a guitar and a stereo, he should get the stereo.  If a kid can not decide between a guitar and a stereo, you should get him the guitar first.

Dangerous analogy that - you're talking to a bunch of geeks who are getting a much sort after, revolutionary, back-to-basics computer that is designed to be played and experimented with.  The line between adult and kid is very blurred at this point...

nickorossa

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Personally I too think those that simply want the Raspberry Pi for a media centre are completely missing the point of the device. I suspect that the forums will be full of "help me" type posts as they don't get Linux and have no idea where to start putting the operating system together and the other components.

Jessie

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I don't see all the angst here the guy wasn't trolling.  He let his spot in line go so he could wait for the community to work the bugs out.  Everyone just got bumped up in line one slot.

There is nothing wrong with realizing that you don't want to put the effort into getting the device working.

I personally have moved several projects that I had waiting from the R-Pi to other devices.  Does that mean I hate the Pi?  No, not at all I still have projects lined up for the R-Pi.  But all the waiting has given me time to realize that some of the projects I wanted to shoe-horn into the R-Pi weren't well suited to it.

Long story short... If you guys don't like what the OP has to say stop commenting and let it get burried.

Tass

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Maybe we need an "Are you sure the RPi is for you?" pinned post, to pre-emptively dissuade those bitchers & moaners before they go ahead with their purchase?  It'll save the admin's of hair-pulling and get us our Pi a lot faster!

(PS: Only half-serious - I know out of every 10K, we might win 100 over and that's good, right? )

selectany

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm a C/C++ software developer and have no time for home experiments, just wanted cheap bed-room HTPC.

I don't want to hack anything anymore.

Tass

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 pm

selectany said:

I'm a C/C++ software developer and have no time for home experiments, just wanted cheap bed-room HTPC.

We'll let you know when we have it all up and running

selectany

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Tass said:

selectany said:

We'll let you know when we have it all up and running

I'll appreciate that

jojopi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Tass said:

Dangerous analogy that - you're talking to a bunch of geeks who are getting a much sort after, revolutionary, back-to-basics computer that is designed to be played and experimented with.  The line between adult and kid is very blurred at this point...
Some adults already know the guitar, or some related instrument.  They do not fit into either of my original categories.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 pm

@Jessie:

Just to continue my analogy:

There's nothing wrong with killfiling someone (I do it all the time - in fact, my primary gripe with web-based fora like this one is the pretty much universal *lack* of killfile functionality).  But smart don't talk about it.  That's the point.

The point is that there's nothing wrong with deciding not to buy a Pi.  But there is no point in opening up a thread telling the world of your decision.  It is narcissism at best - and stupid at worst.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

selectany

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

@Jessie:

Just to continue my analogy:

There's nothing wrong with killfiling someone (I do it all the time - in fact, my primary gripe with web-based fora like this one is the pretty much universal *lack* of killfile functionality).  But smart don't talk about it.  That's the point.

The point is that there's nothing wrong with deciding not to buy a Pi.  But there is no point in opening up a thread telling the world of your decision.  It is narcissism at best - and stupid at worst.

It is a forum. We all share opinions here. This is my opinion. It seams you don't like it but who cares?!

JonB

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I"m a C/C++ software developer and have no time for home experiments, just wanted cheap bed-room HTPC.

I don"t want to hack anything anymore.

Me too (C++ for 20 years, now writing specs)... Are you burned out then?
I"m going to unleash my kids on it.

Return to “General discussion”