a_muzz89

Re: HTPC Blu-ray Question

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I've been reading a lot of the posts in the project ideas section and the HTPC projects really have me intrigued!

One question I have though: is there a practical way to add blu-ray/DVD capability to a Rpi acting as an HTPC?  It seems like most suggestions are to rip the disk to networked storage or a portable HDD and play the file on the Rpi, but I want to be able to just put a disk in a drive and view.

Is this at all feasible, or am I better off getting a Blu-ray player with wireless so I can watch movies straight from the disk as well as view content saved on my PC?

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:48 pm

You'd be better off getting a blu-ray player.  The R-pi doesn't have the licensing to decode blu-ray discs.  Sorry.  As a side note, can the USB 2.0 bus handle the bandwidth of a usb blu-ray player?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Abishur said:

You'd be better off getting a blu-ray player.  The R-pi doesn't have the licensing to decode blu-ray discs.  Sorry.  As a side note, can the USB 2.0 bus handle the bandwidth of a usb blu-ray player?

The bandwidth is fine. Video is up to 40Mb/s. I think 48Mb/s if you include audio.

I believe pepedog measured 23.4MB/s (or 187Mb/s) from a USB hard disk.

However Blu-Ray is encrypted and the decryption required may not be possible in real time.

Also only H.264 decode is currently licensed, so the VC1 and MPEG2 disks will not be possible (unless we support the "codec pack" option).

I have played untouched Blu-Ray disks in H264, VC1 and MEPEG2 formats (streamed from network) on Pi without issue, but it requires audio passthrough support (from receiver) or audio GPU decode (via "codec pack").

The ARM is too busy shovelling data to keep up with 6 channel audio decode.

Smartybones

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm

you can pick up a stand alone Blu-ray player very cheaply these days, and for playing disks you cant really go too far wrong.

Jessie

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Smartybones said:

you can pick up a stand alone Blu-ray player very cheaply these days, and for playing disks you cant really go too far wrong.

This ^^... I have seen them as cheep as $50, and better enabled ones for $100.  Shop around and you will be able to buy a stand alone player for less than a R-Pi, SD card, and an external BD-drive.

I just put a Blu-Ray rom into my PC and it cost me $50 for the cheapest one I could find.  Put that in an enclosure and it costs another $15.  So the cost of the Pi plus SD plus BD-Rom would be over $100 and it dosn't contain the ability to decrypt Blu-Rays without ripping them first. So it will be just easier to buy a player and forget about it.

a_muzz89

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Good deal, thanks for the help guys!

Return to “General discussion”