pandapi

Re: Someone, somewhere must know the whereabouts of the Pis

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Seeing as the other thread got locked before i got a chance to comment.

Someone, probably in the RPF must know where the first 10,000 boards are. Are they in China? Are they in England? Are they in transit? If they don't then they must be lost.

I'm NOT asking what the mods know. If the mods only know what is on the front page and twitter then i already know that.

I really don't understand what was wrong with the other thread. If this question got ANSWERED then it wouldn't keep getting asked. Is the answer "No-one in RPF knows where the boards are"? If so, that is worrying

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Yes, someone somewhere does know their location. Everyone will just have to be patient and wait, and ask themselves, do I really REALLY need to know exactly where they are, bearing in mind it makes no difference to when I get it?

The other thread was getting a bit out of hand. If this one does it will also be closed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Liz and Eben will be the ones who know

they have just got back from holiday.

there is a meeting with both farnell and RS early next week.

as to where the 1st 10K -10 - 1k are we don't know
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Put a pin where you think the 10,000 Pis are.

pandapi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

JamesH said:

Yes, someone somewhere does know their location. Everyone will just have to be patient and wait, and ask themselves, do I really REALLY need to know exactly where they are, bearing in mind it makes no difference to when I get it?

The other thread was getting a bit out of hand. If this one does it will also be closed.

Personally i don't care. But this forum at the moment is filled with people asking the question.

I'm not surprised that activity on the forum has dropped off. Everyone is fed up of reading it the same questions. Questions that could be answered, but aren't.

If there was an answer to it though it would probably stop the threads. Do you not agree?

Alchemy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

The question was answered from map co-ords on a photo in another thread. The answer was the "The Shanghai New International Expo Centre". The photo also showed networking was working.

pandapi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Alchemy said:

The question was answered from map co-ords on a photo in another thread. The answer was the factory in Shanghai. The photo also showed networking was working.

I don't read every post on this forum, and as you can guess neither do most other users. So, frankly, its next to useless.

I don't understand why the question seems to get the mods/RPF's backs up. People are asking because they've ordered and want to know when they'll be arriving. If the info is available, bung it on the front page for everyone.

Are Liz and Eben the _only_ people that have access to update the front page?

bwoodbury

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:07 pm

JamesH said:

For those that were lucky enough to get in on the first 10k the location of those boards does have some bearing on when they might get their Pi. If the boards are still sitting in China then its unlikely that the early ship dates quoted by the distributors will be met.

grumpyoldgit

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Alchemy said:

The question was answered from map co-ords on a photo in another thread. The answer was the "The Shanghai New International Expo Centre". The photo also showed networking was working.

The photo is of the RS stand at the Electronica China 2012 Conference in Shanghai. We just need to work out where the other 9,999 are.

ArborealSeer

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:23 pm

/ harry hill ?
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 pm

JamesH said:

Weird, it's almost as if I knew what I was talking about in the other thread when I kept telling people the answer was "They'll provide information when there is information to provide"!

Still no, the questions wouldn't stop.  They would have a subtle change but still effectively be the same question (for instance, instead of the question being "Where are the Pi's" it would become "Where are the Pis now?" )  Still the other thread wasn't closed because the question was asked, it was because the individual who did so was being belligerent and more than a little rude.

I'm all up for speculation so I provide the following bits (I will now offer some details based off no insider knowledge, but simply being an Admin that reads every tweet, post and blog comment)

1) When the issue with the network adapter was first announced they had finished almost finished replacing a set of the defective boards with the correct jacks.  Manufacturing logic dictates that they would first test a small set of boards to ensure that the issue with the ethernet jack would indeed be fixed by swapping it for whatever jack the manufacturer had available that actually had the magnetics.

2) We further know that there was going to be an issue for subsequent batches because the manufacturer had ordered something like 100,000 of the *wrong* ethernet jack and this needed to be fixed

3) Liz made a reference in one of the blog comments that this would require renegotiating with a supplier and they would do this as quickly as possible

4) Farnell and RS announced that they have, for some reason, decided not to release the boards until they can do en masse (Though I take announcements from them with a grain of salt)

Now based on those 4 points there are *lots* of possibilities of where the boards could be (and I'll let you have fun speculating on that )
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 pm

pandapi said:

Alchemy said:

The question was answered from map co-ords on a photo in another thread. The answer was the factory in Shanghai. The photo also showed networking was working.

I don't read every post on this forum, and as you can guess neither do most other users. So, frankly, its next to useless.

I don't understand why the question seems to get the mods/RPF's backs up. People are asking because they've ordered and want to know when they'll be arriving. If the info is available, bung it on the front page for everyone.

Are Liz and Eben the _only_ people that have access to update the front page?

Because we don't know the answer, and have repeatedly posted that we don't know the answer,and yet people still ask the same question. When the answer is known, the answer will be posted.

Whether Eben or Liz are the only ones who can update the front page is irrelevant - to update the front page still requires information, which we don't have.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

We used to have a little dog that delighted in chasing its own tail.  It would go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on until it got dizzy and spun into the settee.

All these "Where are the Pi's"? questions remind me of that dog.

Keep on folks, its all very entertaining!!!!!

Edit:  To be honest, even though the perpetual speculation is most entertaining, its getting to the point where I for one would just lock each new thread without warning. And if people kept on, deleting the damn things too.  What was that about the admins being easy going? 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Alchemy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Jongoleur said:

Can you name a single delay caused by customer impatience?

JoeDaStudd

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

It is a bit weird. If they really were all about repaired and ready to ship by the time the hiccup blog was posted they should have been shipped, cleared customs and be in RS/Farnell warehouses by now.

lewmur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Alchemy said:

Jongoleur said:

Can you name a single person who claimed that it did?  And do you honestly think that constantly harping at people who have no control over the delay is going to shorten it?

pandapi

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Right, so we now know that no-one knows where the boards are. Seems a little strange considering the amount of effort and risk that RPF members have gone through to make them.

If i had put so much effort into this i would make sure i knew where they were. Maybe thats just me.

Then again, i don't really care. I can see the mods et al are getting their knickers in a twist again so might as well just leave it

drgeoff

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:34 pm

I think what people including myself find strange is that no-one seems to know where that batch of 10,000 is.  We were given to understand that certain individuals had put their own money up front to have these produced.  Those individuals appear to be much more laissez-faire about where their property is than I would be if I had been one of them.

It may be that those individuals have sold that first batch to RS and Farnell and have already recouped the money they laid out.  But then RS and Farnell would surely have some knowledge of where those RPs are.  Even though they are large companies, £100,000 or thereabouts is not exactly random noise in their finance figures!

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:38 pm

JamesH said:

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Alchemy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:45 pm

lewmur said:

Alchemy said:

Can you name a single person who claimed that it did?  And do you honestly think that constantly harping at people who have no control over the delay is going to shorten it?

The laughter was aimed at customers, I'm sure customers aren't to blame. There is a problem due to the choice of factory. The delay now to mid August means this years educational launch won't work.

The foundation should have a plan B. If I were them I'd push scratch, IDLE and Alice on existing computers before schools choose their own route. A route that may never be RasPi compatible. I really hate to see so much good work get wasted. During such a critical year.

meltwater

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Was it really planed for this school year?  I think that wasn't the case anyway, things take a lot longer than that to go through the mill anyway, regardless of the hardware being produced.

As for knowing where they are...obviously someone will know and I expect we will be told as soon as they are where they need to be.

Failing that, we could ask around and see if they've gone behind the sofa...can you all have a check please!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm

pandapi said:

Right, so we now know that no-one knows where the boards are.

drgeoff said:

I think what people including myself find strange is that no-one seems to know where that batch of 10,000 is.

Woah woah, lets back up, no one is saying that no one knows where they are.  James said specifically that *someone* in the RPF knows exactly where they are.  His point was the knowing where they are is A) not a news worthy post (i.e. they've already told us what's going on so there's no new news to provide) and B) our knowledge of their exact location will not change when we get them.  Now I view point B as besides the point, that it doesn't matter if it won't change when we get them, we're curious people and will want to know.  The main issue for me is point A that there is not any change going on that is worthy of a news post.  Once there is, they'll make a post.  After 8 months the fact that they always let us know the moment there is something (or that they're allowed to tell us there is something) should be painfully obvious.

JoeDaStudd said:

It is a bit weird. If they really were all about repaired and ready to ship by the time the hiccup blog was posted they should have been shipped, cleared customs and be in RS/Farnell warehouses by now.

Actually what was said was that a set of boards were almost done having their jacks replaced.  As I said earlier in this post manufacturing logic dictates that they would first test a small set of boards to ensure that the issue with the ethernet jack would indeed be fixed by swapping it for whatever jack the manufacturer had available that actually had the magnetics.  Coupling this with the fact that in the post announcing the ethernet jack issue they specifically referred to the first batch and then separately referred to a "first set" would seem to indicate that it was a test set which was almost done having it's ethernet jacks swapped out and not the entire 10K batch.

Even if I'm wrong about that, we're talking about... 10ish business days since that post was released?  Assuming that they finished the boards that very day, you still would have taken the rest of the week to test them again which means that if it was mailed out that following Monday it's would have been 9 days since the boards were finished.  It takes a lot of time to get things mailed and sorted through customs, 9 days isn't that much time when it comes to a global scale.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Gawd almighty.

I don't know where "the missing batch" is.

None of the other Admins who aren't closely connected to the Foundation know where "the missing batch" is.

None of the ordinary members who suppose and surmise with great freedom know where "the missing batch" is.

Right.  Thats settled then.

Its highly probable that members of the Foundation know, but for commercial reasons (to do with sourcing certain parts for continuous production perhaps?) aren't free to tell us every twist and turn.

Farnell and RS Components probably know too, and are equally constrained by commercial realities.

Those who are the lucky recipients of "the missing batch" will get informed soon enough when it is available for delivery.  The rest of us (myself included) will be informed when continuous production allows us to buy from adequate stocks.

Now pipe down, hold your horses and stop whining like a child told it CAN'T have a sweetie.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”