Ray_GTI-R

Re: Where, geographically, is the 1st batch?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:34 am

After the non-announced (read elsewhere, hereabouts - think Inquirer) then the delayed but honestly admitted RJ45 manufacturing glitch and the truly excellent, in-depth explanation supplied ... there has been no news about exactly where, globally, the 1st batch is located.

Many recent Forum posts have been made guessing the answer by comparing emails sent from the 2 UK suppliers. This guessing is a complete waste of everyone's time (posters, repliers, readers/watchers etc) IMHO.

Answer respectfully requested, to exclude the following terms very recent posted:-

"cool stuff"
"awesomely"
"knee"
"birthday"

Pain I sympathise with ... deeply, personally and sincerely. Holiday involving a statistically high component for physical injury whilst being 1st PR contact overseeing a major issue during initial launch date? Me no undertando

Birthdays I've had by the 5 score +1 and I've loved every one.

(This is my best shot at a balanced perpective of the status quo. Nice isn't my strong point although I am getting better - I'm told - as I age, disgracefully.)

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:52 am

I would agree that e-mails from the distributors should be taken grain of salt they haven't been giving the most... shall we say... consistent information?

The reason we had the the post we did today was because they want to be communicating with us even when there isn't additional to provide.  It's the personal touch ya know?

As for the boards, as you've seen they provide information as it becomes available so keep paying attention to the front page and twitter feed and once they have updates to provide they will provide them
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Ray_GTI-R

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 am

Where, geographically, is the 1st batch?

Hello?

Anyone??

e-mails from the distributors should be taken [with a] grain of salt

they want to be communicating with us even when there isn't additional [information] to provide

Eh?

(The word "inept" springs to mind - no offence.)

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 am

Ray_GTI-R said:

Hello?

Anyone??

e-mails from the distributors should be taken [with a] grain of salt

they want to be communicating with us even when there isn't additional [information] to provide

Eh?

(The word "inept" springs to mind – no offence.)

Another word is dyslexic.  The result of which can lead to you thinking a word and typing it before the proper word has been placed before it.  Thanks so much for double dose or rudeness and insensitivity.  I don't know how calling someone inept can be interpreted as anything but offensive.

Despite the two missing words in my previous post it's obvious that you worked out I was trying to say and I fail to see what confusion lies in the sentence when you've filled in the missing word.  E-mails changing the delivery dates from the distributors should be taken with a grain of salt as they have had several glitches resulting in the wrong date being mailed out.  And the reason why the 1st post on the front page is basically chit chat after a stretch of silence is because there is no additional information to provide but they (the RPF) still desire to be communicating with us because this entire project has been at a more personal level with the community than you get from most projects.

What "eh" is left once you've filled in the gap I accidentally put in?

Additionally, there's no reason to be go "Hello? Anyone?"  I've already explained that once there is news to offer they will freely provide it.

Ray_GTI-R

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 am

resulting in the wrong date being mailed out

there is no additional information to provide

Eh?

A nice reply would be, erm nice.

(No offence.)

Ray_GTI-R

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 am

or, and now let's keep things reeely, reeely simple ...

Ray_GTI-R

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:09 am

Look - it's a simple question, just reply why don't you?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 am

Ray, you've been told twice in my posts what information there exists on the location of the devices and when you will receive updated information regarding their location.

What is up with the "eh?"?  If there's something your not understanding in a response then it might help to explain what you don't understand rather than just going "eh?"

Skygod

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 am

I think the OP asked a fair question.

Three weeks have now passed and there is no information about what has happened to the 10,000 initial units other than there had been a 'glitch' which needed fixing.

The boards were populated in China and were then shipped to the Foundation in England. The RJ45 'glitch' was discovered and what happened then?

Were the boards sent back to China for modification?

Was the modification contracted to a company in the UK? (I believe that this was the route taken for the extra soldering on the pre-production boards)

If they went back to China, are they going to be delivered back to the Foundation or will they go direct to the distributors?

Abishur (I'm not a part of the R-pi Foundation.  Just a fan helping out in the forums.), unless you are privy to specific knowledge, I don't think you are qualified to give a definitive answer.

The reason we had the the post we did today was because they want to be communicating with us even when there isn't additional to provide. It's the personal touch ya know?

Do the distributors really keep you informed as to their reasoning for sending out an e-mail?

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 am

Skygod said:

I think the OP asked a fair question.

Three weeks have now passed and there is no information about what has happened to the 10,000 initial units other than there had been a 'glitch' which needed fixing.

The boards were populated in China and were then shipped to the Foundation in England. The RJ45 'glitch' was discovered and what happened then?

Were the boards sent back to China for modification?

Was the modification contracted to a company in the UK? (I believe that this was the route taken for the extra soldering on the pre-production boards)

If they went back to China, are they going to be delivered back to the Foundation or will they go direct to the distributors?

Abishur (I'm not a part of the R-pi Foundation.  Just a fan helping out in the forums.), unless you are privy to specific knowledge, I don't think you are qualified to give a definitive answer.

The reason we had the the post we did today was because they want to be communicating with us even when there isn't additional to provide. It's the personal touch ya know?

Do the distributors really keep you informed as to their reasoning for sending out an e-mail?

I never claimed the OP wasn't asking a fair question.  I said he had received the correct answer and needed to accept it.  I know only what I read from the tweets, blogs, front page posts and comments.  From those I am fully qualified to say that the boards were shipped back to the manufacturer to be repaired, and I can infer that the boards will be sent back to the RPF once they are completed as this is standard business practice.

And there was a lot more information provided than some ominous "glitch".  The front page contains a very lengthy and detailed explanation of the error that occurred.

The quote I said that you're referencing is referring to the post Liz made today explaining why there hasn't been any chatter from them recently.  I've made no claims to have insider information from the distributors.

I did, however, agree with Ray that e-mails from the distributors with there fluctuating ship dates haven't proven reliable.  That every time they send out an e-mail announcing a huge delay, they turn around and go "oops, that was glitch" so their e-mails really need to be taken with a grain of salt through this ordeal.

shirro

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 am

Abishur said:

... this ordeal.

Ordeal? Exaggerate much? The 24hr news cycle has killed our language.

I am curious about where the 10,000 are. If someone from the foundation can chase that up it would be great. Meanwhile life goes on. Not an ordeal for me and I am a bit skeptical of anyone who says otherwise.

abishur

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 am

shirro said:

Abishur said:

... this ordeal.

Ordeal? Exaggerate much? The 24hr news cycle has killed our language.

I am curious about where the 10,000 are. If someone from the foundation can chase that up it would be great. Meanwhile life goes on. Not an ordeal for me and I am a bit skeptical of anyone who says otherwise.

The RPF and those of us on the receiving end (which has ranged from your appropriate no biggie response to people accusing the RPF of fabricating the ethernet issue altogether to worse) would definitely say that this has been quite the ordeal, which is to say "A painful or horrific experience, especially a protracted one."

And as I have said... what four times in this thread?  When there is information to give they'll give it.

With that I'm closing this thread, I was going to do it earlier, but then skygod posted and I didn't want him to feel like I was closing it just cause he posted.  Keep an eye on the front page and twitter when there is information to provide, they'll let you know about it there.

Return to “General discussion”