BrianXP7

Hide LXTerminal when launching Pi Store

Sun May 05, 2013 5:17 am

I'm a little annoyed that a separate terminal window is launched along with the Pi Store's GUI. Personally, it come off as looking ugly. It feels unnecessary for normal use unless required for real-time diagnostics and troubleshooting. Since the Raspberry Pi is targeted at children, it may freak them and other inexperienced users out a bit. Is it possible to hide the terminal window by default and have an option to enable it on a later update? I hope I'm not asking for much. Thanks.

DeeJay

Re: Hide LXTerminal when launching Pi Store

Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 am

This doesn't happen for me using a default install of 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian, plus apt-get update/upgrade.

If I understand the script correctly it seems to be triggered by /usr/bin/pistore-desktop checking whether sudo is able to get elevated privilege without prompting for a password. If a password is needed it uses an Lxterminal to provide the prompting mechanism. Otherwise it just brings up the pistore window alone.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

BrianXP7

Sun May 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Oh, I see. I guess I'll have to edit the sudoers file. Thanks.

Pankoi

Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

That's correct - the terminal should only stay open (when launching from the desktop icon) if it thinks it might require a sudo password at some point. If I get chance, I'll take another look over the script to make sure it's behaving as expected. :)

~Richard Williams
The Pi Store: the home of games, apps, tutorials and other content for Raspberry Pi - store.raspberrypi.com
Want to hear about new Pi Store content? Follow @PiStoreReleases on Twitter.

Return to “General discussion”