cbassett03

GUI Programming for Raspbian

Sat May 04, 2013 7:35 am

Is there a good tool for doing GUI programming with the Raspbian distro (either using C/C++ or Python)? I'd like to get into GUI programming a bit for LInux distros, and want to try it on the Pi.

I'm experienced in C/C++, but a little new to Python...

scotty101

Re: GUI Programming for Raspbian

Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 pm

I have mainly used Tkinter in Python for creating GUIs.

I've found it a great place to start and simple to get going with. There are also lots of example on the internet and Effbot Tkinterbook is a great resource for figuring things out.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

ghans

Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Qt has its own Raspi community , commercial backing
and works on Windows and Mac OSX too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

cbassett03

Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 am

What about using C/C++ for GUI programming in Raspbian? Any good books or sites that have good beginner/novice examples/tutorials?

Are there any good Python GUI programming books (or just good Python programming books) available? (I learn more by example than by just reading directions on how to do something--so lots of examples is very helpful to me).

I want to be able to make some utilities that have GUIs (not games or command-line utilities) so I'd like to get into GUI programming (I guess I could use Python--it looks easy enough to learn since it seems similar to BASIC).

gkreidl

Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 am

GTK+, pygtk and perhaps Glade as WYSIWYG editor:

http://www.pygtk.org/

Introduction to using Glade with pyGTK:

http://www.pygtk.org/articles/pygtk-gla ... _Glade.htm
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

dr_d_gee

Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

You'll probably get lots of different replies to this question.

I'd have suggested wxPython in preference to PyGtk. There is rather more documentation (including a book, wxPython in action) and it's probably more future-proof (PyGtk is effectively obsolete; for Gtk3 it's been replaced by python-gobject). There's an equivalent of Glade, too (wxGlade).

ghans

Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Qt is a toolkit . KDE was ( is ?) built with it. AFAIK C++ is the
preferred way to use it , but bindings for other languages exist , for
example PyQt for Python.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”