Smartybones

Re: Pirate bay wants to use Pi in flight

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:06 pm

error404 said:

Oh of course it's feasible given an appropriate budget.

Forget about TPB, and take a step back for a moment.

Just look at the world we live in. Given your reasonably technically skilled and educated person with a modest budget that is in the realms of what people spend annually on hobbies like golf, football or computing...

That person can take photographs at the edge of space, launch a remote drone to fly around autonomously and returning to base...  plus look at half the projects people have in mind for the RPi...

It is truly an amazing time to live in.... give it 30 years and your going to have groups of hobbyists land a probe on the moon !!...... closely followed by a Pirate Bay server!!

haitek

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm

pi's on the moon is next

Lynbarn

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:32 pm

haitek said:

pi's on the moon is next

No, I think we'll be happy to see one in near-space on the end of a weather balloon or some such first - the Moon may take a little longer!  See http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....i-in-space

Smartybones

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Lynbarn said:

I think we'll be happy to see one in near-space on the end of a weather balloon or some such first
isn't it amazing though that this is a realistic thing to do. A couple of mates on a Sunday afternoon with not a lot to do, that instead of going the pub can take some photos from the edge of space?

the only thing that bothers me about launching a weather balloon in the uk with a computer and camera attached to it, that we are not that big on an island, and quite possible that the payload will be lost at sea on return to Earth   I have seen two projects, one done by The register and the other by James May on BBC's man lab, both landed on terra firma, with the wind and the rotation of the earth, How??

poing

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

If you look at this project (http://projecthorus.org/?page_id=1773), the distance traveled was 111.5 km. The balloon goes up rather quickly, so if the wind is as quick as that you travel 30km upwards under 45 degrees, then down quicker with about 5 m/s.

And if you launch a sail plane (glider) from the balloon @ 30 km height it could travel something between 500 and 1000 km before touching down. According to my not-so-scientific calculations, that is

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Smartybones said:

I have seen two projects, one done by The register and the other by James May on BBC's man lab, both landed on terra firma, with the wind and the rotation of the earth, How??
I don't know about James May, but The Register cheated -- they launched from Spain.

Lynbarn

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

poing said:

If you look at this project (http://projecthorus.org/?page_id=1773), the distance traveled was 111.5 km. The balloon goes up rather quickly, so if the wind is as quick as that you travel 30km upwards under 45 degrees, then down quicker with about 5 m/s.

And if you launch a sail plane (glider) from the balloon @ 30 km height it could travel something between 500 and 1000 km before touching down. According to my not-so-scientific calculations, that is

Ah! but IF the glider was in fact an autonomous drone, controlled by the Pi. following a predetermined flight path back to its point or origin (or close to it), then the recovery crew wouldn'y have nearly so far to walk, and the 'Pi would have something useful to do during the descent...

I'm not sure what the CAA etc. would have to say about it though - we may all have to decamp to Spain after all

poing

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 pm

Indeed, but let's continue this conversation at a 'legal' place, in the proper thread. This thread is a bit too 'illegal' for my taste, although I started it myself

Lynbarn

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Okay poing, we can close this one, as we have got a little off the original topic, and there are a couple of others on the newer parts of this thread.

Locking now . . . Click!

Return to “General discussion”