ameliabob

Windows to pi

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I am an experienced Windows user trying to get up to speed with this 'new' gizmo.

I can download things like Joe the editor to my desktop but how to I get it to the pi?

I have also written a couple of small programs using IDLE on the desktop. Same question.

Linux for Dummies is on the way so hopefully that will help. I have gotten putty to run but am stuck on how to move forward.

Thanks

topguy

Re: Windows to pi

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 pm

The first thing you should learn is to install software on the Pi from the package system already installed on the Pi.

Using putty you should log in to your Pi and just run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install joe
You can probably use any tutorial written for Debian or Ubuntu about using "apt-get" or "aptitude".
you will probably find a lot directly for the Pi also if you search the forum or just google.

"WinSCP" is a program for windows that is quite handy for transferring files to and from a Pi.
( Personally I'm a fan of "pscp" which comes from the same people that made putty, but it is a commandline program )

klricks

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 am

As other poster said you can use the pre-installed package manager:
sudo aptitude

I prefer the GUI based program Synaptic which is much easier to use:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

From either of these you can search and browse the repository and see what is available for the RP and read the short descriptions. There are thousands of programs there. Be sure to first do the update, either from the package manager or sudo apt-get update so that you have the latest repository information.

You can then download / install whatever you find, either by using the package manager software or manually using the sudo apt-get command.
I would not recommend trying to install something that is not found in the repository.

There are several ways to get files to your RPi:
- If your RPi is on your home network then you can share a folder on your Windows PC and access it from the RPi.
- You can copy files from PC to RPi by using a USB 'thumb drive'
- You could email files to yourself and then download the file on the RPi. (Using a web based email client)

Also if you want to remotely access the RPi system in full GUI then you can use RDP. See tutorial on my web site:
http://64.13.91.137:86/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

LemmeFatale

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:41 am

Guys, I know that it's commonplace to us, but my experience is that package managers are a completely alien concept to a great many who are more familiar with Microsoft Windows. It's likely worth explaining what it actually means, as well as advising on how to use them. ;)

That is to say...

On Linux distributions, you don't install software in "the Windows way" (i.e., typically by going onto the internet and searching for what you want, then finding it, downloading an installer to your computer, running that, and then installing the software). Instead, Linux software is downloaded from a centralised repository (a virtual warehouse of pre-prepared software - think of it like the retail shop where you might find shelves full of boxed software for Microsoft Windows, but in digital form on a server somewhere).

To download and install it, you have what's referred to as a package manager - so named because the software is pre-packaged for installation (as you might have guessed from the above), and is ready to roll with a couple of commands (or clicks, if you prefer to use a GUI for this). The package manager keeps track of what you have installed, and will let you add, update, and remove software suited to your system, from one place.

Note that whilst one can also install software in other ways, and even compile it from source code, this is beyond the scope of what I'm saying, here.

I hope that this is helpful to someone - I know that my understanding of things was helped greatly by such information, when I was new to Linux several years back. :P
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

ameliabob

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:11 pm

klricks wrote:As other poster said you can use the pre-installed package manager:
sudo aptitude

From either of these you can search and browse the repository and see what is available for the RP and read the short descriptions. There are thousands of programs there. Be sure to first do the update, either from the package manager or sudo apt-get update so that you have the latest repository information.

You can then download / install whatever you find, either by using the package manager software or manually using the sudo apt-get command.
I would not recommend trying to install something that is not found in the repository.

- If your RPi is on your home network then you can share a folder on your Windows PC and access it from the RPi.
- You could email files to yourself and then download the file on the RPi. (Using a web based email client)

Also if you want to remotely access the RPi system in full GUI then you can use RDP. See tutorial on my web site:
Wow thanks for all the answers. I have gone on line to get joe and synaptic. There must be something hidden in the synaptic as after I installed (oops apt-getted it) I tried to run it through the Putty I got the error
(synaptic:5298) : Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

????

stijn.ghesquiere

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Synaptic only runs when there is a graphic interface running. So you need to connect a keyboard, mouse and screen to the pi en start into the graphic mode. If it doesn't automatically, type 'startx'.
There are other option that allow you to connect to the pi graphic mode: a vnc-server and client, or more difficult: get a xwindows running in windows and connect synaptic to the xwindows on your pi.
I would first try to connect the pi to a monitor with hdmi...

klricks

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:52 pm

ameliabob wrote:
klricks wrote:As other poster said you can use the pre-installed package manager:
sudo aptitude

Wow thanks for all the answers. I have gone on line to get joe and synaptic. There must be something hidden in the synaptic as after I installed (oops apt-getted it) I tried to run it through the Putty I got the error
(synaptic:5298) : Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

????
Synaptic is a GUI program and will not run from the command line. Try RDP. It's easy to setup and use:
http://64.13.91.137:86/Comp/RPi/RDP.html
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

ameliabob

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks to everyone's help I have got my RDC up and running with Windows 7. My next challenge is to find the configuration file so that I can change the background color from the brilliant white.

Any thoughts there?

Leestons

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Right click the desktop, then click desktop Preferences.

Return to “General discussion”