wot

Re: using logo or pictures of raspi board

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Am I allowed to use the Raspi logo in a free publication to give readers an idea about what it is and why it's important? I'm not selling anything and I link back to the raspberry pi website. I searched for copyright but it's mainly got posts about software used on on the raspi.

sorry if this is a dumb question.

Smartybones

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

You can use a trademarked logo, product in a legitimate editorial article if you like without prior consent.

I learned this from a "argument" that I had over some photographs I took of a theme park ride for a newspaper article. They claimed I couldn't publish the pictures without their prior consent as the rides were subject to a trademark. The law was that I can use them for legitimate editorial work. If they could block the publication then people could effectively block any news report that showed the product in a negative light.

Best practice is to inform whoever that you are doing an article and ask for any press packs they may have, then forward a copy of the article to the company involved before publication so that any errors can be corrected or any issues you have with the product could be satisfactorily resolved and your article updated accordingly before going to press..

some companies are a nightmare to deal with, others are fine and very cooperative, some can be both !!!

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm

I believe that the foundations general stance is that you can use them for non-profit advertising activities such as this.

It would probably be nice if you let Liz know where you are putting it by emailing [email protected]

However you aren't allowed to say put it on a T-shirt and sell them etc.

Michael

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:38 am

Please see this post for the draft logo policy.  Please contact Jack Lang for further information.

Return to “General discussion”