jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi vs. Beagle Bone Black

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm

glnds wrote:I just ran an extensive benchmark comparison between the Raspberry Pi, the BeagleBone Black and the Banana Pi. You can find the results here: http://gleenders.blogspot.be/2014/07/be ... marks.html

As soon as my BBB rev C arrives i will add it to the test....
I'd like to give you a prize for best thread resurrection of the week but we had one on Monday that brought back a thread from certain 2012 death.

As for the figures - look pretty much right. I presume the Pi was running at 700Mhz?

Would be good to get some video encode/decode figures in there as well since that is an area the Pi is particularly good at, and also power consumption figures for all the tests would be interesting.

My own opinion on the craving for more CPU speed is that if 700Mhz isn't enough, first try optimising your code. You learn more from that than just buying a faster machine.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

SteveSpencer

Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm

jamesh wrote:My own opinion on the craving for more CPU speed is that if 700Mhz isn't enough, first try optimising your code. You learn more from that than just buying a faster machine.
You, sir, are a man after my own heart!
Sub-second load and search times for a music search system (by multiple terms across track title, artist and album title) for over 25,000 tracks on a 256MB 700MHz system across a 100Mb network while playing back 128Mbps mp3 files through a USB sound device. Who needs faster hardware... :) ?
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

riklaunim

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:25 pm

If you want more benchmarks here are some mine: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1407 ... 407013BY79 - there is Raspberry, Beaglebone Black and few other. The benchmark in that blog post is also on openbenchmarking and at some point I've run few extra comparison benchmarks against it: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1407 ... 407062RA24 - added Radxa Rock and Intel i7-3632QM to set the upper scale limit ;)

And if that's not enough, there are quad-core benchmarks of Odroid X2 (bit old Exynos4412) and Radxa Rock (RK3188 now on clearance) against Intel Bay Trail Celeron J1900 (the cheap Intel series):
- GPU
- Multimedia
- Compilation time
- Cryptography
- Generic speed tests

RK3188 dongles are around $50 delivered and going down, while Bay Trail-D is close to $200 for mini-ITX fanless PC, $300 for a laptop - but it can easily run desktop (Linux and Windows), can have up to 8-16 GB of fast RAM and run Virtualbox and all those x86 and OpenGL-only software that RK3188 can't (plus VPU is supported only by Android).

Return to “General discussion”