aaa801

Surely this is unethical?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Last edited by aaa801 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBunsy

Re: Surely this is unethical / illegal?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Why would it be? It doesn't seem to be lying about anything.

aaa801

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm

MrBunsy wrote:Why would it be? It doesn't seem to be lying about anything.
Its basicaly selling all of the open source tools =/

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:05 pm

So do numerous others.

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm

No it is just mining E-bay for the gullible people. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

pluggy

Re: Surely this is unethical?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Good luck to him(?). Methinks a lot of people don't appreciate how tough making money in this economic climate is.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:18 pm

We should allways leave space for the lazy and gullible it allows us mediocre types to look smart and worldly wise even if thats not the case. :lol:

Also as pluggy says the entrpenurial types have to have some field to exploit and it stops them trying to sell me illusions of ppi fraud.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 pm

I get this is upsetting to many people, but look at it this way: Even though you can download and install virtually any version of Linux, there are firms like http://www.osdisc.com that exist only because they sell CD's of Linux. They just provide a public service!

unclejed613

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 pm

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

apparently there's nothing wrong with it as long as they follow the guidelines.

pluggy

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm

There are many who don't want to know, and are prepared to pay those who do. It keeps my family fed and housed and the wolves from the door.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Jim JKla

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:32 pm

This is just as unethical when the recipie is flour eggs and milk with a pinch of salt http://www.bettycrocker.co.uk/Our-Produ ... cake-Mixes it bases a profit margin on the fact that some people are too dumb too understand a pancake recipe. ;)

hexelpdkk

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Surely the main objectionable thing is the seller's misuse of the poor, abused apostrophe. "Welcome to the new home of Linux disc's[sic] on eBay"

recursor94

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

No, most hardcore opensource/freedom respecting software advocates argue that the only kind of unethical software is the software that's proprietary--meaning software that isn't open source.

They wouldn't argue that selling open source software is against the spirit of the open source movement, because they don't respect the validity of selling software under restrictive proprietary licenses in the first place thereby meaning that the only valid way you could sell software is by selling open source software.

By selling open source software, you are doing nothing to restrict the freedom of the users and you aren't hurting them in anyway. You are providing a potentially useful commodity for them--a single media in which all of the open source software they need is installed. So they don't have to fish for the material themselves online. If they wanted to get the software themselves, they could go out of their way to download and install it themselves.

Here are two links regarding the positions of the open source movement and free (as in freedom) software movement on selling open source software.

http://opensource.org/faq#selling
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

klricks

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I ordered a Fedora 17 DVD off of E-Bay. I knew it was all available for free download but I have a slower internet connection and my ISP tends to throttle down or even drop large downloads. So it was worth it for me to spend $4.00 US to have the DVD sent to me.

I do think that the seller should inform the buyer that the disk contains free content.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

johnbeetem

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 pm

unclejed613 wrote:https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

apparently there's nothing wrong with it as long as they follow the guidelines.
Absolutely true. Free-as-in-Freedom is not the same as free-as-in-beer. Richard M. Stallman used to sell magnetic tape copies of Emacs for US$150 (link). Sure, you could get a free-as-in-beer copy from an FTP site, but in the early Internet days it could be hard to find a site. By buying directly from RMS, you knew you were getting the latest release.

I think it's great that people are selling FaiF software as long as they're following the rules. If someone provides an easy way to install FaiF software so that more people use it, that helps the long-term goal of weaning people away from proprietary software. Also, the customer then has someone real to contact if there are problems instead of having to find on-line forums, many of which aren't as helpful as this one.

PS1981

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:10 pm

johnbeetem wrote: By buying directly from RMS, you knew you were getting the latest release.
Contrary to Raspian which you have to download to be sure about getting the latest release! :D

mikerr

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I see nothing wrong unless he was charging a huge amount -
£2.50 for a DVD including postage ? Not bad at all.

Bear in mind some have download limits and/or slow connections - buying a DVD will save them a fair bit of time.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

aTao

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:44 pm

How much would you charge for your time needed to download and burn a DVD plus material costs plus equipment maintenance plus postage and packaging? If there is anything unethical then its that this is slave labour. Now cough up and pay the seller a decent wage!
>)))'><'(((<

Oysterville

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 pm

hexelpdkk wrote:Surely the main objectionable thing is the seller's misuse of the poor, abused apostrophe. "Welcome to the new home of Linux disc's[sic] on eBay"
THANK YOU! Dreamgirl Disc's? Dreamgirl disc's...what?

As far as the unethical part, it's not. They aren't selling the software as much as they are selling the medium with the software on it. I think that as long as they include the source code that they are fine.
Google is a helluva drug.

Return to “General discussion”