Page 1 of 1

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:17 pm
by grumpyoldgit
Just seen this on the Element 14 discussion forum.

Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to let you know we've temporarily removed the Fedora download. When the Fedora Remix was first available, we tested it on our Raspberry Pi unit to make sure it worked. We discovered a few issues with username and password authentication which prevented us from accesing the OS. This made it a bit unstable. We've shared this info with the guys at Fedora, and they are working on a new release. Once they fix the software issue, our friends at the Raspberry Pi Foundation will test it out and we'll put the stable version up for you again. Until then, check out the Debian Squeeze distro in our Download Center.

Thanks! 

Sagar

http://www.element14.com/commu.....rt=0#47279

They are clearly also getting twitchy about the release.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm
by steviewevie
Interesting !

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm
by Kernel
Not very surprising especially as RS have also stated that they aren't happy with it (plus all the QEMU issues on the forum here)

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm
by grumpyoldgit
Kernel said:


Not very surprising especially as RS have also stated that they aren't happy with it (plus all the QEMU issues on the forum here)


Where did you see that?

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm
by rmm200
Kudos to RS for actually taking a hand in checking it out!  Not many Electronic suppliers could/would do that.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:28 pm
by jamesh
We've got a few things to update in the Fedora image, which should also help with performance.

Also, I'd like them to replace Firefox with Midori as Firefox uses too much memory, but that's JMHO!

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:30 pm
by grumpyoldgit
It is Farnell who have made the statement. I am asking for a link to any RS statement, bearing in mind that RS site is still a skeleton with one short FAQ.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm
by bob_binz
JamesH said:

Also, I'd like them to replace Firefox with Midori as Firefox uses too much memory, but that's JMHO!

First thing I did in GUI was pull FF (great as it is on the desktop PC) and replace with Midori.  Still not perfect performance-wise but I guess there's no real lighter alternative.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm
by jamesh
Grumpyoldgit said:


It is Farnell who have made the statement. I am asking for a link to any RS statement, bearing in mind that RS site is still a skeleton with one short FAQ.


I think it was an RS employee twitter feed.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:26 pm
by grumpyoldgit
JamesH said:


Grumpyoldgit said:


It is Farnell who have made the statement. I am asking for a link to any RS statement, bearing in mind that RS site is still a skeleton with one short FAQ.


I think it was an RS employee twitter feed.


I think this must be it.

First trials suggest that Fedora Remix is currently too slow & unstable for @Raspberry_Pi. Debian distro looks to be much better. ^WM

https://twitter.com/#!/RSElectronics/st ... 0451641344

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 pm
by walney
Grumpyoldgit said:


JamesH said:


Grumpyoldgit said:


It is Farnell who have made the statement. I am asking for a link to any RS statement, bearing in mind that RS site is still a skeleton with one short FAQ.


I think it was an RS employee twitter feed.


I think this must be it.


I think it's this: http://www.designspark.com/con.....-pi-review

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:38 pm
by andytuk
I found Fedora Remix very slow too, but didnt have the password issue. (I had it connected to the internet, so it obtained its time via NTP)

Sticking with Debian for now. Just need to get sound working.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:04 pm
by nick.mccloud
andytuk said:


I found Fedora Remix very slow too, but didnt have the password issue. (I had it connected to the internet, so it obtained its time via NTP)

Sticking with Debian for now. Just need to get sound working.


Someone with real Pi speaks!

God I wish I'd bought a charity one off eBay when the Foundation auctioned those 10. Would help answer so many questions!

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 pm
by Kernel
Grumpyoldgit said:


Kernel said:


Not very surprising especially as RS have also stated that they aren't happy with it (plus all the QEMU issues on the forum here)


Where did you see that?


As others have already mentioned Twitter and the DesignSpark website

Grumpyoldgit said:

I think this must be it.

First trials suggest that Fedora Remix is currently too slow & unstable for @Raspberry_Pi. Debian distro looks to be much better. ^WM

https://twitter.com/#!/RSElectronics/st ... 0451641344



walney said:

I think it's this: http://www.designspark.com/con.....-pi-review

nmcc said:

God I wish I"d bought a charity one off eBay when the Foundation auctioned those 10. Would help answer so many questions!
and left a big gap in your bank balance!

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 pm
by nick.mccloud
Kernel said:


nmcc said:


God I wish I"d bought a charity one off eBay when the Foundation auctioned those 10. Would help answer so many questions!


and left a big gap in your bank balance!


Actually, the distraction of all of this has cost quite a few billable hours!

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 am
by Morgaine
Although the Fedora 14 Remix did give me a bit of pain under QEMU emulation (particularly the inappropriately-fascist password interface), I did manage to get it working.

Here are the details, a link to the very good HOWTO by cnx-software, and my sample output obtained over an ssh session:

http://www.raspberrymod.com/vi.....b55d29b760

Morgaine.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:07 am
by Ian3
Hi,

I tried it on my Beta board and found it quite slow (but that could have partially due to the SD card I used). I had to put onto the card twice as the first attempt wouldn't accept my attempts to set up the user names and passwords. The second attempt only went into the graphical interface after an additional reboot from the initial setup phrase. If this reboot is necessary then users should be prompted to reboot. Also I was getting error messages related to 'Timer hc timer callback'.

Ian3

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am
by Gert van Loo
I had two SD-cards from the same vendor (Kingston) but I have not yet found out what their speed is.

The 8Gbyte SD card was noticable slower running the same SW. (I run the Debian) Not sure yet why.

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:57 am
by jojopi
Ian3 said:

If this reboot is necessary then users should be prompted to reboot.

The reboot was intended not to be necessary.  The firstboot script goes through all the motions of making the user's runlevel choice effective immediately.  Unfortunately, all the motions fail because the script uses the shell variable RUNLEVEL internally.  /etc/init/rc.conf exports RUNLEVEL and runlevel(8) trusts RUNLEVEL over utmp(5).  So the script always thinks it is in the runlevel it wants to be in, whether it is or not.

It is difficult not to conclude that they must not have tested that.  Even more obviously the timezone selection, which goes through all the motions of finding the correct zonefile but then forgets to copy it to /etc/localtime, so you are left in EST no matter what you choose.

At least the much-denounced date/password bug only affects users who did not read the installation instructions and "Plug in an ethernet cable connected to an IPv4 network with a DHCP server and Internet gateway" before the first boot.  So they must have known about that one...

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:14 am
by bob_binz
jojopi said:

At least the much-denounced date/password bug only affects users who did not read the installation instructions and "Plug in an ethernet cable connected to an IPv4 network with a DHCP server and Internet gateway" before the first boot.  So they must have known about that one...

Or users that *did* read the installation instructions but did not have access to a DHCP and/or internet enabled network connection

BBz

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdrawn download from site

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am
by Kernel
Gert said:


I had two SD-cards from the same vendor (Kingston) but I have not yet found out what their speed is.

The 8Gbyte SD card was noticable slower running the same SW. (I run the Debian) Not sure yet why.



do you know what class they were?

Re: Issues with Fedora Mix distro - Element 14 have withdraw

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 am
by manunc
Hello, do you have any update on Fedora remix distro ?
Is there a date for the newt release ? Maybe Fedora Remix 17?