kghunt

Re: Found A cheap monitor

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

spurious

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 am

good find...

and remember kids, it's the DVI-D that was the important interface, not the VGA.  ;)

Joe Schmoe

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 am

Is this all that good?

I'm pretty sure that I routinely see 19" (or more) HDMI TVs on TigerDirect for about $100.  I'm not real up on exchange rates, but I think 65 pounds is about $100, isn't it?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

XAPBob

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 am

But then add 20% tax - just one of the reasons that electronics tends to be about $=£

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:09 am

Might as well look for the cheap TVs that the likes of Aldi sometimes sell for about 60 squid all in. AND they include HDMI, SCART, composite, component and VGA for when you want to use it with a conventional netbook/laptop/PC.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

kghunt

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

Im experience even the supermarkets don't get much cheaper than ebuyer.com. The cheapest tv asda do is £85 and tesco is £100.

Tass

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 am

XAPBob said:

But then add 20% tax - just one of the reasons that electronics tends to be about $=£

That's £63 all-in, including tax & delivery (UK prices inclusively)

steviewevie

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 am

Most goods are cheaper in the US than the UK, not just electronics. And let's not even start on petrol (gas) prices …

But back on-topic, that does seem like a good price, albeit with a few quid extra for a DVI->HDMI adapter.

dabs.com have a Philips 18.5" VGA/DVI LED monitor for £64.18 currently.

kghunt

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

I also thought about something like this for access to the command line. As most things I intend to play with are embedded projects with no or Web GUI.

Chromatix

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

Given the high cost of new, basic monitors here in Finland - where often the slightly *bigger* monitors turn out to be slightly cheaper - I'm seriously considering one of the miniature models posted earlier.  The ability to clamp it to the windowsill would be greatly appreciated.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

deepthought

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

Good prices for new monitors!

There are also a ton of cheap second-hand Dell LCD monitors on eBay and (in UK) at branches of CeX: http://uk.webuy.com/

Many of them have DVI-D input and built-in USB hubs (not charge powered as far as I know).

Wikipedia lists which models have DVI-D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.....l_monitors

I paid £20 for a 15" at my local CeX with a 12 month guarantee.

julianrich

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am

HDMI - VGA converters are about the same price £20.

ebay or direct check out via google, search 'HDMI to VGA converter box'

steviewevie

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am

julianrich said:

Do those boxes work though ? I thought they only converted the pinouts, and not the actual signal (digital to analogue).

Tass

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 pm

steviewevie said:

julianrich said:

Do those boxes work though ? I thought they only converted the pinouts, and not the actual signal (digital to analogue).

Quite correct.  As has been stated on these forums several times before, these cables will not work!

Smada

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I got really lucky two month ago, I found a 15" TFT (NEC LCD1570NX-2) with DVI  for just 20€ in a local newsgroup.

It's just perfect, any bigger wouldn't have worked as there are already two monitors on my desk and it really fits the RasPi, small and cheap.

I know it's not really helpfull to others, but I just had to celebrate a bit

Smartybones

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:54 pm

its all this messing about trying to get a monitor for the Pi that is really making me wish that the pi did have a VGA output.

I know its easy to say the pi was designed to work with most components we already have around the house, and keyboards, mice & memory cards that's fine...But the monitor is an issue...

I have a couple of displays I could use... one being the tv in our bar, which one Pi is going to take up residence with anyway. but its not practical to take over the TV... The other option is my Monitor I use on one of my desktop PC's that is reserved for my photography work. it has an asus PA246Q connected to it.  and is calibrated for perfect colour,I  really dont want to be messing about with that monitor at all.

All of my other computers are getting a little long in the tooth and just have standard VGA monitors attached to them. but thats all I need for those, they do the jobs I need them to do.  Down in the basement I have half a dozen 'spare' VGA monitors too...

It makes me wish the RPi came with VGA connections as this is going to be the biggest outlay people are going to have to make to consume some pi.

I understand why it doesn't, and that to include VGA would push the price over the set in stone price point, but untill I can get a (very) cheap DVI-D monitor I will have to play with my pi through SSH

Montala

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:07 pm

You could always but one of the cheap LCD TV's mentioned on the first page, with an HDMI input, and then use them in the kitchen or bedroom when you are not using your RasPi…. just a thought!

poing

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

@ Smartbones: I totally agree, have a plethora of VGA monitors in the house, not one HDMI or DVI. The two TVs are old CRTs. Only way I see is to use the RCA of the video recorder.

I'd really wish those-in-the-know could create a cheap attachment board with a VGA port. I read some discussion about it and it seems a real problem. A pity, not so much for me but more for the schools.

Smartybones

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm

poing said:

I"d really wish those-in-the-know could create a cheap attachment board with a VGA port. I read some discussion about it and it seems a real problem. A pity, not so much for me but more for the schools.

its not that its hard, its all about price.you can already buy adaptors that will convert the HDMI to a VGA signal, but they are not cheap. its a bit more than just a few bits of wires going to the right pins on a plug....  they cost around 40 quid each, so by the time you have paid that, you may as well pony up the rest and get a new monitor.

When I get the time, I am going to get all my spare monitors together and get them on ebay then buy a cheap(ish) DVI monitor... but I want one that will work at 1080p the cheap monitors and TV's do only do 720p

Vindicator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 pm

I have 4 monitors in my home and all of them support VGA/DVI, and out of 5 TV's in the house 3 support VGA and HDMI, all of the TV's have composite and all but 1 has component available

The big problem is that to add VGA to the Raspi would likely cost most of what it would cost to buy a digital to analog converter to convert a monitor that only has VGA.

Understandingly I know that there are many VGA only monitors still out there, I have VGA/DVI monitors as I update my equipment as needed and these newer monitors cost less to operate, (power bill say's this is true.)

I have not looked at school equipment in a long time but I believe this may be the case with them as well in that some schools have updated and have monitors that will use at least DVI and some schools will still have VGA only equipment.

Either way though you will pay a cost to upgrade your monitor or buy an adapter to provide the VGA and of course it is up to you which is more cost effective.

Personally if I did not have any thing but VGA equipment I would choose a new monitor (all of my monitors allow you to choose an input or auto select and this increases flexibility as you can have one system using the VGA and one system using the DVI and switch between them) as adapters are useful item but are also only a fix for a bigger problem in the end.(and most of the adapters almost cost what a monitor does anyway)IMHO

I have a 19" TV that is being multitasked as it is attached to a 8 port KVM for the VGA input and that serves 3 computers and a 4th computer is attached to the HDMI port via a HDMI to DVI converter cable(video card does not support VGA only Dual DVI) and it has a Roku attached to the component port and speakers and then is hooked to the cable for regular TV via a regular cable connector and that still leaves a composite port and a S-video port open.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

forumisto

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

Is this all that good?

I'm pretty sure that I routinely see 19" (or more) HDMI TVs on TigerDirect for about $100.  I'm not real up on exchange rates, but I think 65 pounds is about $100, isn't it?

you can use one like this:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/New-HDM.....4cfecd49e9

Vindicator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 pm

The cable in your link is a passive cable and will not work with the Raspberry-pi you would need an active converter to get analog signal from the digital signal that is sent from the Raspi's HDMI port.

If you read the notes on the page it confirms you need a converter to use this cable
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

jonboy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am

Another way I will be trying is a composite to Scart adapter (for those inflicted with Scart on a TV...). These are around £2.50-£4.00 on amazon etc. I have also seen them in poundshops.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch.....038;sr=8-2

I will be recycling one from an old hi-8 camcorder or games console.

lewmur

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I have yet to see this mentioned but there is always the option to connect the composite video out to an RF Modulator.  This, of course, will not give the best video quality in the world, but it is cheap and will allow you to connect the Pi to any TV.

lewmur

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Just came across this 7" 'rear view mirror' monitor.  Looks like it would be a good fit for a "portable Pi".

Return to “General discussion”