Dreeass

Python IDE

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

I've been looking around for some Python IDE's that work on the Raspberry Pi. The results that I found on this forum weren't the one that I was looking for since they didn't work on the Raspberry Pi. So is there a list with all the Python IDE's or does someone know quite a few Python IDE's? What I want in the IDE is the following:
  1. Code autocompletion
  2. Nice and editable syntax highlighting
  3. Testing environment and debugger if possible but not necessary
  4. Nice GUI and explorer
  5. Decent speed since when I use Geany it lags when I type
Increase attachment and avatar size limit or use a third party system?

KenT

Re: Python IDE

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I think IdleX does most if not all of what you want, its basically an add-on to Idle.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Dreeass

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:01 pm

KenT wrote:I think IdleX does most if not all of what you want, its basically an add-on to Idle.
I'm sorry to be rude, but don't you see the requirements of the IDE that I'm looking for?

DeeJay

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Perhaps you could move this forward and educate the rest of us by saying "Your suggestion does not meet my requirements because... <fill in the dots>" ?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

KenT

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 pm

IdleX eems to match most of them:

Code autocompletion - in IdleX
[*]Nice and editable syntax highlighting - Idle has this
[*]Testing environment and debugger if possible but not necessary - IdleX seems to improve on Idle. There are other Python debuggers around, there used to be one in an early Raspbian
[*]Nice GUI and explorer -Gui nice and simple. Explorer - Tabs, File Open, and Recent Files in Idle. Nice path browser for looking at Python internals.
[*]Decent speed since when I use Geany it lags when I type - IdleX addons don't seem to have slowed down Idle editting.

What I particularly like about IdleX is:
[*]Its fast
[*]It has multiple tabs
[*]It has line numbers
[*]It has a horizontal scrollbar.

If only it remembered open files between incarnations I would love it.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

Dreeass

Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm

KenT wrote:IdleX eems to match most of them:

Code autocompletion - in IdleX
[*]Nice and editable syntax highlighting - Idle has this
[*]Testing environment and debugger if possible but not necessary - IdleX seems to improve on Idle. There are other Python debuggers around, there used to be one in an early Raspbian
[*]Nice GUI and explorer -Gui nice and simple. Explorer - Tabs, File Open, and Recent Files in Idle. Nice path browser for looking at Python internals.
[*]Decent speed since when I use Geany it lags when I type - IdleX addons don't seem to have slowed down Idle editting.

What I particularly like about IdleX is:
[*]Its fast
[*]It has multiple tabs
[*]It has line numbers
[*]It has a horizontal scrollbar.

If only it remembered open files between incarnations I would love it.
Well I use Python object oriented as most people probably use it and keep everything nicely in folders and that's also why I want to edit the folders on the fly. And I need an explorer for that, IdleX is basically just a text editor.

Dreeass

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm

I found a great IDE that is lightweight and has everything or most of it that I was looking for. It's Ninja IDE, great IDE that is quite simple and built in Python.

dr_d_gee

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Not sure that this will work on a Raspberry Pi--in any rate in Raspbian: it requires PyQt and Python 2.7, but the only version of PyQt available in the repos is for Python 3. As it will need the Qt libraries loaded, it may well be *slower* than Geany.

RolfBly

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:00 am

In my experience, Pi just doesn't have enough horsepower to run any decent IDE if your code is longer than one screen.
Geany and Ninja IDE are nice, but scrolling lags hopelessly. IdleX doesn't do code collapsing and looks sloppy to me.
(I used them all over TightVNC)

When coding Python for Windows, I use Notepad++ with a DOS-box. Notepad++ can save files with Unix line termination. It's not really an IDE because it doesn't let you step or inspect variables, but I can live with that. (I'm used to putting in print statements for checking variables etc. )

So I made a share on Pi which I can access from my Win laptop, have all the power of that dual core 2 GB RAM in my hands when developing Pi projects. Works for me. I can edit in NPP, and run the code on the Pi from SSH. MUCH faster and more comfortable than anything in TightVNC.

Getting a share on Pi accessible for Windows was not easy. Prepare to read up on Debian file and directory permissions. More on this here.

wongss

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:07 pm

I just learned that that sftp is turned on in rpi with ssh.
Managed to use notepad++ in Windows to directly edit files in rpi through sftp.
This could be simpler than using samba?

Gerrelt

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:56 pm

wongss wrote:I just learned that that sftp is turned on in rpi with ssh.
Managed to use notepad++ in Windows to directly edit files in rpi through sftp.
This could be simpler than using samba?
Wow, this is excellent, thanks for this!! 8-)
Notepad++ is brilliant.

Just go to Plugins -> NppFTP -> Show NppFTP Window

And then add a profile to the rasperry pi through settings (the small cog wheel).
You can then connect with the most left button in the NppFTP window.
Tip: turn on the message window with the most right button, to debug connection problems.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

pvaloret

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:25 am

Was investigating Pi based py IDE .. use npp on windows for other languages .. the NppFTP approach is ideal.. thanks for the insight!

Nightime

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 am

Notepad++ worked perfectly.

tarpista

Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 pm

But how do you make your code running on the raspberry instead of the windows pc which is running notepad++?

Gerrelt

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 pm

The NppFTP plugin in Notepad++ uses ftp to edit the files directly on the Raspberry.

So you make your changes on windows, in Notepad++, and when you press "save", the changes are done on the Raspberry through ftp.

Then you can use Putty to login to the Raspberry using ssh (telnet), and run your code.
Last edited by Gerrelt on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

johnb_summers

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:06 pm

the one i use and find the best is SPE Stanis Python Editor, its great, can run and debug and supports the raspberry pi.

apt-get install spe -y

will download and install it for you, I don't use sudo as I log as root because I am a grownup, but if a minor then use

sudo apt-get install spe -y

hope this helps
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

rompelstilchen

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:24 pm

the best way is to install samba

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install samba
edit the config file (/etc/samba/smb.conf)

Code: Select all

[dev]
   comment= whatever
   path=/home/pi/
   browseable=Yes
   writeable=Yes
   only guest=no
   create mask=0777
   directory mask=0777
   public=no

(then) 
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart
smbpasswd -a pi
and access the folder under windows with sublimetext ( \\raspberrypi or \\[ip adress] )

(you turn on vnc on the rpi and launch your python scripts from there)

just the best solution ever, all ide under raspberry pi suck donkey balls

paulv

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:24 pm

I have been using PyScipter (version 2.6.0.0 x86) on my WPC in combination with Samba and PuTTY on the RPi for several years now. It is a full blown IDE and well integrated with Windows. I always run my RPi's headless and use PuTTY. Because PyScripter is fully integrated with Python on the PC, you can use the interpreter and also execute and debug code on the PC directly, which is great for prototyping and testing non RPi specific scripts. I use PyScripter for all my computer languages like html, c, php, etc.

When I wanted to switch to Python 3 somewhere last year, to my dismay, it turned out I was forced to ditch PyScripter because I could't get it to work in conjunction with Python 3 on the PC and the RPi. I then tried all IDE's that supported Python 3 I could find, unfortunately, none worked to my satisfaction (vs PyScripter), if at all.

I also use Notepad++ a lot, but not as an IDE, because it isn't one.

So after giving several Python 3.x versions a serious try, I ditched my efforts and went back to my trusty PyScripter and Python 2.7. I do use the __future__ import for the print function and try to stay as close to coding in P3 as I can.

I should note that PyScripter is written in Python and freeware. Highly recommended.

Return to “General discussion”