Kernel

Re: Time to give up on RS?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I think foreign customers of RS haven't all been sent an email

whereas UK-based ones have - I see you are in the UK so I guess that means registration failed - did you get a confirmation after the form? if the page just refreshed then it didn't work (only found this out from twitter so my registration after 6am didn't work, so had to do it again at 6pm)

Also I agree with rurwin that the problems will cause certain people to become disenfranchised and they may be lost forever

ptiks

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:58 pm

To be honest I agree with you, a large number of people will buy it, search around on the net for some easy media player software, then either use it as that for ever or find its all to difficult and put it to one side for another day, that will probably never come.

However, I think a number of "community" members are suffering from some sort of technological imperialism (we were here first, the general public should wait, we will show them how to do it, etc, etc) which bothers me slightly, as the beauty of this system is its openness, it"s democracy, everyone should be free to try their hand (and fail if necessary) to do their thing.

It is a shame, that many boards will probably languish unused or never used to further understanding, but to deny them that opportunity because they were not sufficiently commited, "worthy" or informed early enough would surely be far worse?

Alchemy

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Potentially 10,000 may of bought before an informed community. All won't fail in their plans. Computing is actually easy or I couldn't do it at 3AM while half asleep.

And soon enough the 500,000 expressions of interest will translate into a large community.

This project will succeed. And the negativity will die with hind sight.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't think that anyone here was being negative. They were describing what is likely to happen if large numbers of punters buy a Pi at an early stage with little infrastructure to back them up.

ptiks

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Potentially 10,000 may of bought before an informed community. All won"t fail in their plans. Computing is actually easy or I couldn"t do it at 3AM while half asleep.

And soon enough the 500,000 expressions of interest will translate into a large community.

This project will succeed. And the negativity will die with hind sight.

Excellent, I think this was what I was trying to say, but you have said it better than I.

poing

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm

I think you guys are overly pessimistic. Locally there's a forum called 'tweakers.net' with several threads on the Pi where people did get up early and we now have a 28 - page thread on 'purchase and delivery'.

On the other hand I tried to 'advertise' the Pi in two threads on two forums and the total amount of replies is one.

So my guess is there were a lot of developers and gadget freaks awake at 6 but hardly any 'normal' people. The gadget freaks might massively use it only for XMBC but still they will post about it and create manuals. That would make a sound bedding for that kind of use, which will be at least equally important for the future sales figures of the device.

I know. it's hard to be patient.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:13 pm

rurwin said:

No, it's a tragedy.
It's a "large number of people" who we will never reach; who will be repelled by the project before it even starts. That's a "large number of people" who will receive this strange object in the post, try and fail to write an SD card, maybe manage to get a Linux command-line but look around for support and find nothing useful. They will either throw it in the bin or put it on eBay. Then they will go around for months bad-mouthing us to all their mates.

When the educational release comes around they are not going to buy another.

Whats needed is a new section on the forum, not a blog or something everyone can post to or create topics on, just a page accessed through a link above "Where to buy".

I've Got A New Pi.  HELP!

It doesn't need to be complex, just a page with simple words and pictures to handhold the new owner through what they need before they can use their Pi, where to get the operating system, how to put it on the SD card and what to do after first boot.  Stuff like what the internet browser is called and so on.

I KNOW this sort of stuff is available in all sorts of places, but people WILL come here for help and if there is something in an eyecatching place on the first page they land on, then they may pay attention.

Another thing is the operating system.  Someone who is unfamiliar with the Pi may not realise (no matter what they've been told) that you need an SD card with the operating system on it to run the Pi.  They'll plug it in as they got it and whoops!  Its not working.  To many people, SD cards are only for pictures and maybe mp3s, and  getting an OS image written to a card may be a fraught process.

I'm hoping that one of the things going on in the background at this moment is planning to have some inexpensive 4Gb SD cards with Fedora installed available on the Shop site to coincide with the first deliveries of the Pi.  Not everyone will need to buy one but for a Pi owner who has come form a Windows PC background they could the difference between getting some use out of their Pi and it languishing in a box somewhere.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Edek

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm

The reason that tweakers.net is so interested in the Raspberry Pi is because it is a technology site for computer tweakers. Most people think 'huh, cool, s 35$ computer' and forget about it. I'm pretty sure that 75% of the people are geeks.

I'm eating my guts in despair I had been following the Raspberry Pi project since the very beginning in 2010 and I was there at the sales at 6:00 AM, at 6:05  I realized that i was on the wrong website, at 6:20 I managed to express my interest, by now I have signed up on Farnell, RS and Allied-I have only received confirmation messages, which really irritates me since other people, for example the one at the start of this thread have ordered one 5 days late! IT'S JUST VERY

poing

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Edek said:

The reason that tweakers.net is so interested in the Raspberry Pi is because it is a technology site for computer tweakers. Most people think 'huh, cool, s 35$ computer' and forget about it. I'm pretty sure that 75% of the people are geeks.

I've just been reading the 'tweakers' thread and I guess you're right, a lot of 'XMBC' but also a lot of 'going to learn Linux'.

Anyway RS and Farnell did only take 'interests' so if the foundation people are not stupid, which they are not, they can keep any number in their pocket and sell quietly to people they know that will contribute to the project in a meaningful way. At least that's what I'd do.

Dennis

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Got a confirmirmation on my interest registration from RS. *sigh*, then nothing

Getting absolutley not a shreed of life from farnells interest registration.

Got my order with a reseller of farnells cancelled.

I'd be happy to w8 for delivery, I'm waiting to place an order.

I can't understand why they not taking pre orders? It would be a great way to find out how many units they should order from factory.

<Placeholder for suitable bad language>

With Sincerest Regards

Ps. Needed to blow off steam Ds.

wicky0570

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I gave up on RS! I, like many others got up early and registered on the RS website at 6.01am and then nothing happened.

Later that day I also managed to get an order placed on Farnell and have since had a delivery date. Which is good, as otherwise I would still be waiting for RS to contact me.

I think RS have really messed up the order process big time!

spamel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I got a registration in with RS on Pi Day, nothing. Signed up again two days later and still waiting on a reply. They obviously don"t want my money!

Return to “General discussion”