prodata

Re: Time to give up on RS?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 am

I'm in the camp who 'registered an interest' with RS in the 0610 - 0630 time frame, apparently successfully, but who has received no emails at all. (No, I don't run a spam filter and so don't have a spam mailbox into which any emails might have been diverted.) And I know personally of one other person in the same boat. Not having heard anything at all from RS in the interim, I guess it's time to give up all hope and assume that there's a whole batch of RS registrations that simply got lost because of the website overload.

What's frustrating about this is that I understood that this initial batch of units was primarily aimed at developers so that some software and applications could be developed prior to the more general autumn launch. But as a developer myself I'm going to be potentially 2-3 months behind some of my competitors by the time that we actually get our hands on a Pi. It starts to look questionable about whether it's now worth putting any effort at all into Pi-related development projects.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am

There have now been two mass-emails. If you did not get either then I think you have to conclude that you are not on the list... or that if you are, you wouldn't receive the  email that invited you to order.

chickey

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 am

I'd agree if you havn't had anything by now then your registration probably didn't successfully go through

I wasn't sure if my personal address had gotten through so had re-registered with my works email just incase and i got emails to both addresses, i'm only buying one though before anyone says i'm skirting around the one per order limit

ArborealSeer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 am

I understand it must be frustrating.

But a serious question, there are lots of posts where people say they *need* pi in their life, for their project as if their life depended upon it.

The question is, does your project *really* depend on your having one in your hands? Especially as you called yourself a developer it sounds like you're not a hardware guy.

My planned RPi project is software only, and really.. I don"t even need RPi for it. I"s perfectly possible to write software for on linux without one, and fine tune it later. Hell, I may even develop parts of it on windows, and just make sure it compiles and runs on pi down the line. (i"m going full screen opengl though).

Is your project really going to make the autumn launch worse, or is that ego talking?

My project is damn cool to me, but I don"t think its going to make much difference to the world at large – I do hope if it comes off how i"d like it might inspire at least one person, possibly get featured on a blog as a 'cool thing' but thats it.

Is your project really so pi specific you can"t do it without a pi, or the pi vm?

Is your brain clouded by your (understandable) disappointment so much you can't see another way out?
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:43 am

To echo ArborealSeals post, if you have a Linux box, you can develop for the Pi.

For example, you can install OpenGLESv2 libraries on Ubuntu (I use the mesa ones), and if you write code that uses those, it will run accelerated on the Raspi. That's what I am doing, as I don't have Raspi either. Write compact efficient code and it should behave pretty well.

As to the registration itself, I think that the server overload probably lost it. Sorry.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

prodata

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:21 pm

ArborealSeer said:

The question is, does your project *really* depend on your having one in your hands? Especially as you called yourself a developer it sounds like you're not a hardware guy.

I do understand the - perfectly valid - point you're making. But this particular project would actually be closely tied into hardware and so isn't software-only. And if the proposal is not fully compatible with the Pi hardware then it would be a non-starter, hence the strong preference for wanting the Pi hardware available at a very early stage.

But sure there's also some frustration too, to some extent at the way the build-up seemed to be focused around generating developer interest but then the actual launch was allowed to become a worldwide free-for-all. Water under the stable door of course, but allow me one quick moan.

poing

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I registered around March 7 and got an email from RS.

ArborealSeer

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:54 pm

prodata said:

ArborealSeer said:

I do understand the - perfectly valid - point you're making. But this particular project would actually be closely tied into hardware and so isn't software-only. And if the proposal is not fully compatible with the Pi hardware then it would be a non-starter, hence the strong preference for wanting the Pi hardware available at a very early stage.

But sure there's also some frustration too, to some extent at the way the build-up seemed to be focused around generating developer interest but then the actual launch was allowed to become a worldwide free-for-all. Water under the stable door of course, but allow me one quick moan.

After googling I can guess what business you're into.. even if thats wrong.. one thing is that being a little late you might be able to learn from other peoples mistakes.

I'm sure some will appear on eBay.. btw you didn't register with Farnell too? that was far easier. I registered with both, but still don't hold out much hope for RS!

Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Oh pleeeeeease "give up" on RS!

Those who hang on will get their slice of Pi that much sooner.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

n3tw0rk5

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm

My only gripe is with how ARSE Have handled things, i've managed to get more info and feedback out of a seance than these.

Just as well I know near enough where in the queue I am with Farnell.

Alchemy

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't think Farnell is any better. Registering again with both last week its only RS that have emailed me.

I agree they lost registrations first day.

jamesh

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

prodata said:

ArborealSeer said:

The problem is that putting a check box on the order form that says "You are a developer, aren't you?" doesn't really cut the mustard. Point being - how do you sell to a subset of your prospective market? As it happens, I'm thinking that quite a large proportion of the boards will go to developers. However, there are 100k's of developers out there.....so there were always going to be shortages, even if only developers got boards.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

tufty

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:52 pm

JamesH said:

As it happens, I'm thinking that quite a large proportion of the boards will go to developers.

I think you're being - how can I put this - "overly optimistic"

niggle

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm

[...]  I "registered my interest" just after 0600 on launch day. I got an email from them on 9 March thanking me for registering and telling me that they would be in touch again sometime in the future to accept an order from me.

Days earlier I had already had the "free T-shirt and order" invite from element14 and ordered my RPi with them.

[Mod edited for language - Michael]

prodata

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Jongoleur said:

Oh pleeeeeease "give up" on RS!

Those who hang on will get their slice of Pi that much sooner.....

Not sure there's really much option at this stage TBH - having waited, as suggested, until into last week to hear from RS (because it looked at the time like the registration of interest had been successful and they were reputedly still recovering the initial backlog of registrations), I suspect that the queue is now long enough that it's not going to make much difference holding off with RS until the supply/delivery situation becomes clearer. But I'll desist from moaning any further.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:05 pm

tufty said:

JamesH said:

As it happens, I'm thinking that quite a large proportion of the boards will go to developers.

To the power of 20 perhaps! There was a complete free-for-all on the day, and the Pi was massively oversubscribed. It is clear that in the days leading up to the launch many may punters who wouldn't know one end of a computer from the other were told it was going to be a really great and cool thing to have. They didn't know why. They were just told that was the case. The result is that in a couple of weeks time a large proportion of the punters in the first batch are going to receive kit that they have no idea what to do with.

JoeDaStudd

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Yep.

After the Airplay and XBMC announcements the number of people on the mailing list and the number of non-hobbyists dynamically increased. From there on in the Raspberry Pi became the $25 (yep they got the pricing for model B wrong) media centre.

It went from 2:1 (hobbyist:non-hobbyist) to about 1:10.

ptiks

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:23 pm

And isn"t a "large number of people receiving kit they"ve no idea what to do with" the whole idea of the project? That people would learn to code, develop and innovate despite having no background in the field. Some might say this was the prime audience, those of you who can do all of this already should, morally, take a back seat....

grumpyoldgit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

ptiks said:

And isn"t a "large number of people receiving kit they"ve no idea what to do with" the whole idea of the project? That people would learn to code, develop and innovate despite having no background in the field. Some might say this was the prime audience, those of you who can do all of this already should, morally, take a back seat....

No .not at this stage. The Pi is still a development board with no casing aimed at developers who would test its capabilities, write some manuals, get the thing up and going and generally advise and assist the next group. Instead, the Pi has hit the ground running and has gone straight to the end user. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

tufty

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

ptiks said:

The reason it's been punted out to the public is so that "the community" can produce the software required for the prime audience to be able to learn to do all of this, etc etc.  Now, "the community" was originally quite small (there's a "500 members, wow!" thread here somewhere) and largely composed of people who want to produce stuff that kickstarts the Pi's original purpose.  As it stands now, "the community" is nearly 15,000 people registered on the forums, and (probably conservatively guessed) twice that who haven't bothered registering.  But all they want is a $25 media player, they aren't going to be developing, or even learning, anything.  Burn SD card, plug into telly and hard disk, enjoy.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 pm

ptiks said:

And isn"t a "large number of people receiving kit they"ve no idea what to do with" the whole idea of the project?

No, it's a tragedy.

It's a "large number of people" who we will never reach; who will be repelled by the project before it even starts. That's a "large number of people" who will receive this strange object in the post, try and fail to write an SD card, maybe manage to get a Linux command-line but look around for support and find nothing useful. They will either throw it in the bin or put it on eBay. Then they will go around for months bad-mouthing us to all their mates.

When the educational release comes around they are not going to buy another.

axiomprime

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Like all those people that wanted an iPhone but gave up as soon as they saw there was a queue?

hippy

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm

tufty said:

JamesH said:

That's my feeling too but there's just no way to tell.

I suspect a good share of the first 10K have gone to people who will be waiting for others to tell them how to do what they want to do, more "consumers" rather than "developers".

I expect most of those R-Pi will sit in drawers until what they need is provided for, then they'll get it running, and that's quite possibly the end of their involvement in the R-Pi community. Hopefully some of those will help others achieve what they've achieved and even venture further but we'll have to wait and see.

abishur

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:48 pm

And 83.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot

While there is absolutely no denying that the level of interest increased after the XMBC announcement, there was already a very high level of demand for it long before that little gem came along.  It's also a bit of an unfair assessment that xbmc interest = non-hobbyist or xbmc user = someone who doesn't know one end of a computer from the other.  Indeed, not that long ago it took a modicum of knowledge to get xbmc working at all.  It's a very reasonable supposition to believe that many in the xbmc crowd are intelligent people who will use the r-pi for much more than a media center (not that there's anything wrong with using it for the media center only aspect).

As for the OP, I did finally give up on RS and ordered one of Farnell, only to get an e-mail the next day from RS saying that I had registered early enough to get one from the first batch!  If this actually pans out, I'll probably see what I can do to cancel the order from Farnell, I only have enough for one board right now and if I can get one of the first 10K I'd much rather get that one!

Also there seems to be some misunderstanding about what was said concerning the first batch and developers.  The confusion arose after a random interview with Eben in which he said something close to "we plan on the first batch going to developers".  At the time, there was outrage on the site because people felt that referred to the same group of people who got the development boards (I.E. all 10k would go to hand selected people and we, the end user wouldn't see a single board).  It was quickly explained that this was *not* what Eben was talking about.  The only thing he was saying was that the interest being shown in the r-pi, based on the forum content, at the time was predominately developers.  Now we have the flip side, the board was released for all and developers think they should have had top billing when that was never what Eben or the RPF was ever trying to say.  It's always been a general release to the public and was never *ever* a developer only release.  Sorry you missed this post on the front page that clarified that mistake.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

cashaw

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I think you need to define the term 'developer' , I would suspect that the majority of those who were up and awake at 0600 and got one of the initial batch of 10,000 would have been die-hard developers who had followed R-Pi for months, realised it's potential and wanted to contribute.

I think the cheap media player brigade would have only picked up on it later in the day when seeing the announcments on Engadget and the like.

I first learnt it had gone on sale at 0630 when Chris Evans mentioned it on his Breakfast Show. I managed to register @ 0640 but was far, far too late, though I did get the confirmation message from R.S. the Sunday before last.

I presume that the foundation must have kept a few back for themselves and for those projects such as XBMC, Fedora etc which can contribute must highly towards the complete R-Pi ecosystem rather than developers just looking to create something for the own specific needs.

Return to “General discussion”