Nick Brian Walters

Re: Cheapish HDMI portable display

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm

I've mentioned this display before here : http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ays#p45502

10", battery, USB, HDMI, speakers, lots of ins and outs. 1024x600.

arm2

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:04 pm

JamesH said:

More to the point, where on the planet do 4 vesa bolts cost £3.78? And that USB cable is mightily expensive.

I think not, I've been testing today a number of sub £5 microUSB to USB cables and the best I found had according to our micrometer 7 strands of 0.15mm dia cable, that gives it a rating of 560mW which would be o.k. for a model A if wasn't for the voltage drop which would make it very marginal. 560mW capacity is understandable for a normal USB cable expected to never draw more 500mA but two of the cables were listed as "Charging cables"! The worst cable (thickest from the outside) would have been hard pressed to cary 200mW and it was sold as a charging cable.

I have now found a better spec cables but only the 0.3m version is within spec and it has a quantity trade price of over £5 inc VAT.

I think there are going to be a lot of unreliable R-Pi's out there unless people pay for the right spec cables.

BigAl1452

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:02 pm

God,  I thought the Pi was aimed at "low-cost-computing power".

At this rate you will not be allowed to use the Pi unless its connected to a 52" LED all "dancing&singing" TV with home theatre surround sound and Magic Keyboard

(Oh just realised those TV's have internet......oh well back to the drawing board)....... Anyone know or tried to build the SPACE SHUTTLE?

My point is, like all computer systems you can spend as much or as little as you want.  The fun with Pi is how cheap it is, so have fun and enjoy....  Its the programming and hacking....... thats the fun part!

Morgaine

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:22 am

BigAl1452 raises a reasonable point.

It's really out of kilter to pair a $35 Rpi with a $100 display.  I applaud the choice of a digital graphics connection (although that was determined by the SoC, not a board design choice), but it does create a bit of a problem for sourcing a correspondingly inexpensive 1920x1080 HDMI display.

Perhaps the contacts made with the manufacturers in China could be called upon to find a suitable no-frills device over there, without the premium of western branding?
Intolerance is a failure of education. Education is predicated on tolerance of the uneducated.

thepete

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 am

For any American RPiers out there, I spotted a small handfull of cheap, small LCD TVs for under $100 on Amazon and Google Shopping. Also, Amazon had a number of very cheap (probably crap) keyboards for $10-$15 with low shipping fees.  So, I think there are quite a few options out there.

Skygod

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:28 am

tawalker said:

Longer-term: in the UK at least, if you're not a "brand snob" (and I'm not, if the product works well), supermarkets sometimes sell small (16-18") flat-panel TVs with HDMI for about £70-80-ish. I guess one of these might make a passable monitor (albeit usually limited to 1280x720 (720p)) so I'd keep an eye out for a good offer on one.

How about this unit? 16" 720p TV with built in DVD player and 1 HDMI for just 50 quid or this one which is 19" and handles 1080p for sixty quid (both prices inc. VAT)?

GizmoB73

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am

Skygod said:

How about this unit? 16" 720p TV with built in DVD player and 1 HDMI for just 50 quid or this one which is 19" and handles 1080p for sixty quid (both prices inc. VAT)?

I am not saying it isn't a good find for £60 for a 19" LCD, but I am pretty sure it can't be 1080p with a stated resolution of 1366 x 768.

I think I might find the bright pink a bit hard to live with as well.  Although if I wasn't holding out for 1080p I would certainly consider a spray job on it.

BigAl1452

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 am

There's nothing wrong with the pink!  Get a purple keypad, yellow mouse, orange speakers, tinted glasses, long hair and a few beer or (dare I say it) some of LSD or Magic Mushrooms and we r all back in the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GizmoB73

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am

BigAl1452 said:

There's nothing wrong with the pink!  Get a purple keypad, yellow mouse, orange speakers, tinted glasses, long hair and a few beer or (dare I say it) some of LSD or Magic Mushrooms and we r all back in the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were you, I would probably ease back on them mushrooms now, sounds like you've had enough.

Montala

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:30 am

Rock on Big Al... it all sounds real cool to me!

Jeff2

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Here in the US, I regularly see 19" 720p tv/monitors on sale for less than $100.  I'd think that would be a good solution for a development monitor as long as you don't require 1080p for some odd reason. The built in TV tuner would be a bonus.

A cheaper solution would be an old (recycled?) DVI monitor using an HDMI to DVI adaptor/cable.  At work I've even seen old DVI monitors with dual inputs that you can switch between.  The only downside there is no sound through HDMI, which isn't ideal if high audio quality is a requirement.

The cheapest solution by far would be an old TV with a composite input.  I'd think most US households have one of those somewhere in the house.  I've still got my 80's era TV/monitor I used to use with my C-64 which would fit the bill quite nicely.  No the display isn't the greatest by today's standards, but it was certainly good enough back in the day.

Engineering solutions are often a compromise.

thepete

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Jeff2 said:

Here in the US, I regularly see 19" 720p tv/monitors on sale for less than $100.  I'd think that would be a good solution for a development monitor as long as you don't require 1080p for some odd reason. The built in TV tuner would be a bonus.

A cheaper solution would be an old (recycled?) DVI monitor using an HDMI to DVI adaptor/cable.  At work I've even seen old DVI monitors with dual inputs that you can switch between.  The only downside there is no sound through HDMI, which isn't ideal if high audio quality is a requirement.

The cheapest solution by far would be an old TV with a composite input.  I'd think most US households have one of those somewhere in the house.  I've still got my 80's era TV/monitor I used to use with my C-64 which would fit the bill quite nicely.  No the display isn't the greatest by today's standards, but it was certainly good enough back in the day.

Engineering solutions are often a compromise.

Ahhh, I look forward to when that under $100 is under $50  Maybe I should keep my eye on Craigslist.... but in my case, a big move came just months before the official change-over to digital so we just left the old analog TVs behind. But bringing them across country seemed pointless.  And I totally agree on the compromise angle you mention.  Unless the RPi is going to be specifically used for HD video viewing or high end gaming, I don't see the logic of connecting a low end computer like this to an HD screen.  Even 720 seems like overkill.  But hey, we all have our ideas for the RPi.

Montala

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Like a lot of other folks on here, I was wondering what to use as a small(ish) display and have just checked out the rather smart white 19" Toshiba LCD TV which we bought a year or so ago for our guest bedroom, and which rarely gets used (except when we have overnight visitors!).

Anyway, I was delighted to find that it has an HDMI input... result!

I am also looking at the 7 port USB hub with a 3 amp power supply, which was mentioned in another thread... at least it helps pass the time while waiting for my Raspberry Pi!

creation

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

It's a shame the Pi doesn't come with a LVDS connector as you can pick up this screen for £16.59 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507.....314wt_1114

forumisto

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I will use my actual monitor (with dvi), keyboard and mouse for the first contact with rpi. Then I'll configure a vnc server and it will work alone, without monitor, mouse and keyboard. My idea is to use it as NAS,  maybe as dynamic webserver (php, jsp, ...) and media player. For this case, I'll search remote controls like wireless keyboards and mouses, or specialized remote control like dvd player.

Vindicator

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 pm

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....CatId=5987

This TV only has 720P but also has 2 HDMI and has a PC input also which is usually a VGA port. $120.

the next TV down from it is $150 and is 1080P 1 S-Video 1 HDMI 1 PC port 1 AV port

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....CatId=3649

My Pi is going on this monitor as it has a powered 4 port hub built into it and DVI as well as VGA purchased more than a few years ago like 2005)

http://www.geeks.com/details.a.....38;cat=MON
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

thepete

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I just realized what I'll probably do: just connect my RPi to my USB TV stick's RCA inputs and set things up that way. Then VNC it after I plug it into the living room HDTV where it will serve as a media manager.  Though I do hope I can get my Android phone and iPad to stream video from it. So many possibilities!

BigAl1452

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 pm

creation said:

It's a shame the Pi doesn't come with a LVDS connector as you can pick up this screen for £16.59 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507.....314wt_1114

Have a read of this thread, http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....spberry-pi  (sorry don't know how to link these threads). it shows you more discussions on your request.

Return to “General discussion”