Kernel

Re: FEDORA ARM INSTALLER -- Problem

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am

bredman said:

I used the Fedora remix installer without a problem on a 64-bit PC.

The processor is an i5 2540M.

I used a HTC Desire smartphone as the SD card reader.

do you mean you wrote to the card via your smartphone? or you just read from it?

bredman

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am

Kernel said:

do you mean you wrote to the card via your smartphone? or you just read from it?

I used the smartphone to write the SD card. It's a bit confusing that you use a card reader to write to a card.

steviewevie

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:25 am

Kernel said:

Looks like a nice program but I expect you'll need to resize the partitions etc. manually with this program (is the automatic resize due to fedora image itself or the installer?)

An automatic resize happens on first boot of the Fedora Remix (from Seneca's Wiki) :

During the first boot of the system, two processes take place:

1. the image is resized to fill the SD card

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 am

bredman said:

Kernel said:

I used the smartphone to write the SD card. It's a bit confusing that you use a card reader to write to a card.

Cool - do you have any instructions on how I can use my android smartphone (ZTE blade) with my computer to write to an SD card?

Also I noticed that my printer also has an SD card slot but there is no interface with the computer I think (you view the pics on the small printer screen and then print them - though I've never used it)

Now for my experiences of using: https://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index. ... stallation

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64Bit (others have had issues on 64bit but it seemed to work fine)

I used a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OF2F36

I used the inbuilt card reader in my Toshiba laptop

I ran the installer and at first a Diskpart cmd prompt opened up and it didn't work - but then I remembered I needed to run as administrator

Then I got this:

which led to this:

Looking at in windows explorer showed me this:

Card properties were:

and disk management showed me:

So it looks like everything is ok - but I guess there is no way to really test it until I get my raspi?

For information on restoring the SD card to stock state see this topic: http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....an-sd-card

bredman

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:39 am

Kernel said:

Cool - do you have any instructions on how I can use my android smartphone (ZTE blade) with my computer to write to an SD card?

I have never used a ZTE blade. I checked the specifications and it seems to have both USB and Bluetooth connections. Check the manual to see how to connect to a PC. Or just connect it to a PC and see what appears on screen.

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48 am

bredman said:

Kernel said:

Cool – do you have any instructions on how I can use my android smartphone (ZTE blade) with my computer to write to an SD card?

I have never used a ZTE blade. I checked the specifications and it seems to have both USB and Bluetooth connections. Check the manual to see how to connect to a PC. Or just connect it to a PC and see what appears on screen.

I just realised that my brain isn't working!! When I connect it to my PC via USB it mounts the SD card to the PC and this should let me use it as a normal sd reader I guess! Only takes micro sd card though which doesn't work with Fedora Remix according to the wiki – thanks bredman – though I have used app2sd to put apps on the sd card so not sure how the android system will respond to missing apps i.e. when I replace the SD card in it with the blank one I want to use for raspi (though you can also mount the sd card when it is booted into recovery mode I think – this might be a better option)

nicknml

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm

If your built-in card reader on your PC is connected to the USB bus, you could simply boot up a linux virtual machine and it should be able to see the SD card if you have vmware tools installed/virtualbox guest additions installed (depending on what virtualization product you are using) and simply use the dd command.

bredman

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm

There should be no problem using a micro SD card. An adaptor from SD to micro SD contains no circuitry at all, just straight connectors.

I never heard of problems using micro SD with Fedora Remix. This may have more to do with the class of the SD card, not the physical form.

bredman

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Kernel said:

I have used app2sd to put apps on the sd card so not sure how the android system will respond to missing apps

Android has no problem with missing SD cards. The apps will refuse to launch until you insert the correct card. Nothing is lost or corrupted.

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 pm

nicknml said:

If your built-in card reader on your PC is connected to the USB bus, you could simply boot up a linux virtual machine and it should be able to see the SD card if you have vmware tools installed/virtualbox guest additions installed (depending on what virtualization product you are using) and simply use the dd command.

Looking in device manager – under keyboards I have: Toshiba Flash cards support driver – so I assume it isn't connected to the USB bus then?

bredman said:

There should be no problem using a micro SD card. An adaptor from SD to micro SD contains no circuitry at all, just straight connectors.

I never heard of problems using micro SD with Fedora Remix. This may have more to do with the class of the SD card, not the physical form.

Yes I have read that about the adaptors but on: https://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index. ... stallation

it says:

An SD or SDHC card, with a capacity of 2GB or more. (Good-quality class 4 cards usually work well). Do not use a MicroSD card with an adapter — it will not be recognized by the Raspberry Pi.

Based on other posts in the forum it seems to be specific to the Fedora Remix (or possibly the board(s) they have for testing have a defect).

bredman said:

Kernel said:

I have used app2sd to put apps on the sd card so not sure how the android system will respond to missing apps

Android has no problem with missing SD cards. The apps will refuse to launch until you insert the correct card. Nothing is lost or corrupted.

OK thanks

nicknml

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Kernel said:

nicknml said:

Looking in device manager – under keyboards I have: Toshiba Flash cards support driver – so I assume it isn"t connected to the USB bus then?

The easiest way to tell is to insert an SD card, right click it, and see if there is an "eject" option. If there is no such option than the card reader is most likely connected to the pci-e bus. If you find out that it's not connected to the USB bus, simply buy a cheap USB card reader.

Kernel

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 pm

nicknml said:

The easiest way to tell is to insert an SD card, right click it, and see if there is an "eject" option. If there is no such option than the card reader is most likely connected to the pci-e bus. If you find out that it's not connected to the USB bus, simply buy a cheap USB card reader.
Yes I have an "eject" option so USB it is

davehiggins21

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm a LINUX newbie (but with 30 years as a programmer on mainframes) but decided I'd try to setup an SD card (Kingston 8Gb class 4 SDHC as recommended on the Wiki) since I have many months to wait. I decided to use Debian as I found that an easier distro to understand than Fedora (I'm doing this on a spare test machine as my main machine is XP).

I downloaded the Fedora installer and the Debian image but when I try to run the Python script in a terminal it just displays the terminal for a split second then disappears. If I type Python into a terminal it starts Python but I don't fancy typing the script in manually. In Debian the Python executable is /usr/bin/python2.6 so I changed the first line of the python script to #!/usr/bin/python2.6 but that made no difference. I did try copy and pasting in a few lines of the script which then failed with missing module PyQt4 so I presume that means that it probably won't work anyway in Debian unless I import the necessary libraries. Do I need Fedora?

I'm obviously misunderstanding something simple here but can't see any answers (that I understand) on the web - can anyone point me in the rght direction please - I'll have to go buy Linux for Dummies.

Kernel

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm not sure but I think the installer is only for Fedora

Try following this guide: http://www.mattsbits.co.uk/item-158.html

SN

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Its such a shame this is soooo hard on windoze - completely trivial on a linux pc - someone needs to write a rocksolid setup/install/config tool for windows users. The target market is going to need this.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Tass

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Here's quick walkthrough I've put together for the Debian image, but I think it should work for the Fedora image too.

http://myraspberrypiexperience.....-card.html

Kernel

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 pm

SN said:

Its such a shame this is soooo hard on windoze - completely trivial on a linux pc - someone needs to write a rocksolid setup/install/config tool for windows users. The target market is going to need this.

I wouldn't say it is hard - the problem is that not every system seems to be playing nice with the tools - i.e. a number of people have had issues on 64bit, yet I am also using 64bit and was able to do everything fine.

Tass said:

Here's quick walkthrough I've put together for the Debian image, but I think it should work for the Fedora image too.

http://myraspberrypiexperience.....-card.html

very nice

Yes Fedora will be the same except you'll get different partition sizes and files on the card (you can see these in my screenshots on the previous page)

nick.mccloud

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm

davehiggins21 said:

I did try copy and pasting in a few lines of the script which then failed with missing module PyQt4 so I presume that means that it probably won't work anyway in Debian unless I import the necessary libraries. Do I need Fedora?

You need the supporting GUI files:

sudo apt-get install python-qt4

which will install a shed load of other files as dependancies as well.

Tass

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I know some people have had issues with Win 7 64-bit & Win32DiskImager, so here're what I had to do to use DD the manual way:

http://myraspberrypiexperience.....ndows.html

davehiggins21

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I did try copy and pasting in a few lines of the script which then failed with missing module PyQt4 so I presume that means that it probably won"t work anyway in Debian unless I import the necessary libraries. Do I need Fedora?

You need the supporting GUI files:

sudo apt-get install python-qt4

which will install a shed load of other files as dependancies as well.

Great - did an su to root and ran the sudo. Have now got the installer to run and can select the img file. It won't let me enter the device name - when I click the device box it just goes blue and won't let me type in it. I can see the SD card and know it's address is /media/12F3-AC42. Is this another issue with Debian?

I don't want to do this under windows as I only have XP and would like to get rid of it (her indoors is the stumbling block!!) An RPi will enable to move forward towards elimination of Windows.

dave

mkopack

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Yeah, I have a problem with it too....

It doesn't run on OSX! Grrr...

Kinda bummed that Liam Frazier stopped work on the PiCard application because of this tool.. His at least would support all 3 platforms.

Guess I'll just have to do it by hand....

abishur

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

mkopack said:

Kinda bummed that Liam Frazier stopped work on the PiCard application because of this tool.. His at least would support all 3 platforms.

Even OSX offers a VM environment right?  You could always make a VM with linux, or possibly just a live CD and skip the virtual environment.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

SN

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Abishur said:

mkopack said:

Even OSX offers a VM environment right?  You could always make a VM with linux, or possibly just a live CD and skip the virtual environment.

My god!  What are you doing still running OSX!!!!  Its quite bright out here you know outside of the cave you've been sat in for a good number of years...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Joe Schmoe

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:02 pm

SN said:  

My god! What are you doing still running OSX!!!! Its quite bright out here you know outside of the cave you've been sat in for a good number of years…

I take it, you are referring to either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-X

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC/OSx

You can tell us.  Which one do you think he is running?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

SN

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 pm

doh! (backs away redfaced at this point)

Return to “General discussion”