niobium

Re: FEDORA ARM INSTALLER -- Problem

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Hello

I have a problem on W7 - 64-bit - the installer does not accept my readers.

Someone has a solution, thank you!

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:00 pm

There is a known problem with the files in directory with a space in it. Remove the space in RaspBerry Pi

Also ensure you are running as administrator

niobium

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello, thanks for the info but still the problem.... Another idea?

Kernel

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:31 pm

I think some other 64 bit users have had issues too

I have 64bit but haven't tried making a card yet

dave_s

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:21 pm

On win7 64 bit you need to right click on the installer exe file and select 'run as Administrator' for the installer to find the SD card.

niobium

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:19 pm

dave_s said:

On win7 64 bit you need to right click on the installer exe file and select 'run as Administrator' for the installer to find the SD card.

I do that but it does not work! Thank you.

scep

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Not sure if the "run as admin" thing is an issue (but you may as well do this anyway!). After a successful build on W7 64-bit in admin mode, I tried running it as normal user and it worked fine.

Any chance of trying it with a different card (make/size) and/or reader? Is the reader in a read USB port or a front port? Etc.

Could also try downloading the file and installing that way, instead of using the "download" facility (of course that should work OK, but...)

nick.mccloud

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Bit of guess work here looking at the Python code - it appears to be struggling to process the disk names on your computer - do they have any strange names or use strange characters?

julianrich

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm

I was unable to get it to work on windows 7 32 bit, dd was not transfering the image to the SD card for some reason, although it was finding it.

It might be a problem with the block size setting in dd not matching up to the card.

I transfered to my fedora laptop and after a quick update to the packages, I was able to install the rpm file it worked without a problem.

So don't use windows use LINUX and save yourself all the possible problems.

Kernel

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 pm

julianrich said:

I was unable to get it to work on windows 7 32 bit, dd was not transfering the image to the SD card for some reason, although it was finding it.

It might be a problem with the block size setting in dd not matching up to the card.

I transfered to my fedora laptop and after a quick update to the packages, I was able to install the rpm file it worked without a problem.

I don't have a linux pc - and if I did the sd card reader is built into my laptop anyway!

The program runs for me on 64bit win7 - haven't tried creating an sd card yet though

Joe Schmoe

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

There is absolutely no question that *if* you are able to do it under Linux, it will be a lot easier, straightforward, less worrisome, etc, etc.  Doing it under Windows will always be like trying put lipstick on a pig.  But, if that's all ya got, then that's all ya got.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

PSF

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I had the same issue in Win7.  If it helps, I re-formated the card, and after that it was visible to the installer and the image wrote fine.

dms05

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 am

Kernel said:

julianrich said:

I don't have a linux pc – and if I did the sd card reader is built into my laptop anyway!

The program runs for me on 64bit win7 – haven't tried creating an sd card yet though

The problem occurs when you try to create the SD card image.  With W7 64 bit I tried moving all the files to a Folder with a simple name (eg RPi) so  no spaces in the Folder name.  The Installer runs and I can choose the correct image but it fails to complete the task.  I tried downloading the image to the RPi Folder and installing that direct but it still failed to work. The Installer calls a program DD.exe which is documented as running under W7 32 bit ONLY – see the blog on the Debian image originally offered for the RPi.

So like others I switched to Fedora 16 and the process was simple.  However I did format the SD card to ext3 before I started and that may have helped.

Kernel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:49 am

dms05 said:

The Installer calls a program DD.exe which is documented as running under W7 32 bit ONLY – see the blog on the Debian image originally offered for the RPi.
ah yes you are correct I didn't notice that before: http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

This version does not actually do any conversion but it allows the flexible copying of data under in a win32 environment.

This is going to be a problem as a lot of people have 64Bit systems now

Joe Schmoe

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 am

This is so "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 am

Did you also notice the bit where the last software release was in July 2010? And that was a Beta.

This may be a problem. The source code is provided and GPL, but it is in Delphi.We would need a Delphi hacker with access to a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

There do not appear to be any other open-source projects that allow a raw disk to be read and written under Windows 7 64-bit, or indeed any other Windows versions.

There are a couple of commercial offerings, but even they don't have a drop-in replacement.

See: http://www.eldos.com/rawdisk/

Those chaps sell a library that can do the job. If someone approached them right, they might be willing to develop an application and provide it free of charge in return for the generated PR. It would not be open-source of course.

Nurbit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 pm

I haven't tried this at all but I remembered something about this on a blog I read

They suggested that you use something called

Win32DiskImager

The link to the utility is here https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer

The link to the original blog is here http://russelldavis.org/2012/0.....n-windows/

I hope this helps.....

Nurbit

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 pm

alternativly, you could boot from a linux live CD and prepare your card that way.....

niobium

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Nurbit said:

Win32DiskImager

The link to the original blog is here http://russelldavis.org/2012/0.....n-windows/

It's ok with this program. Thank you very much everybody.

Kernel

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:44 pm

rurwin said:

Did you also notice the bit where the last software release was in July 2010? And that was a Beta.

This may be a problem. The source code is provided and GPL, but it is in Delphi.We would need a Delphi hacker with access to a Windows 7 64-bit machine.

There do not appear to be any other open-source projects that allow a raw disk to be read and written under Windows 7 64-bit, or indeed any other Windows versions.

There are a couple of commercial offerings, but even they don't have a drop-in replacement.

See: http://www.eldos.com/rawdisk/

Those chaps sell a library that can do the job. If someone approached them right, they might be willing to develop an application and provide it free of charge in return for the generated PR. It would not be open-source of course.

Doesn't sound too good - there is a windd program on sourceforge but according to the comments it is something else altogether

Nurbit said:

I haven't tried this at all but I remembered something about this on a blog I read

Win32DiskImager

I hope this helps.....

Looks like a nice program but I expect you'll need to resize the partitions etc. manually with this program (is the automatic resize due to fedora image itself or the installer?)

I don't like the sound of this part either:

The main gotcha is that although your computer has a builtin sd card reader/writer and it works with your cellphone or camera sd card perfectly well it might not work for creating a bootable sd. The biggest problem builtin sd card reader/writer is the ricoh one in HP laptops although other makes of sd card hardware and laptops also have this problem. When you use a builtin reader/writer and it is goingto fail it doesn't always tell you that it's failed so the first thing you now something is wrong is that your raspberry pi (or other target device) won't boot So although you have a builtin sd card reader/writer it is a good idea to get hold of a USB SD card reader/writer and use that for making your bootable SD card. [I have no real idea why builtin reader/writers have problems making bootable sd cards but my thinking is that the controller in the builtin ones was cut down for windows machines to save a few pennies as noone thought that they'd want to write to the 0 to xxxx areas of the SD card]

R4V3N0U5

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:16 am

Strange, I used the windows installer with the downloaded fedora remix image on windows 7 home 64-bit and it installed just fine without a hitch

Well, at least to the best of my knowledge. The install "Finished" and I could see the boot partition on the card.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:30 am

Very interesting Patrick. Did you use a built-in card-reader, or a USB one?

kaspencer

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 am

Hello all ...

I spent several days fiddling about with a 32Gbyte SD Card in my Intel C2Q 8Gbyte RAM Windows Vista Ultimate x64 PC tryng to persuade DD, WinDD, WinDiskImager etc etc to copy the Debian Squeeze image release onto the SD Card.

Although one or two of the above applications did manage to produce a Linux partition on the SD Card, most of the time problems were identified on examining the partitions in GPARTED or Acronis. These problems included read-only status on the card, and partitions flagged as having errors.

So along comes the Fedora ARM Installer. I installed and ran that application and it worked first time as far as I could see. GPARTED and Acronis show exactly what I would expect to see on the card. And it appears that I have also been able successfully to extend the partition from that in the original Fedora Image to fill the card - something that is predicatably difficult to acheive with a partition that is reported as read-only! (And to the chap who asked about that - Partition sizes are part and parcel of the Disc Image.)

So my advice is to stick with the Fedora ARM Installer, and it will work for you.

One little question does occur, however - I note that the Fedora Remix does not have a SWAP partition in the image. Is that intentional, or is something wrong?

As yet I have no Raspberry Pi with which to try the newly created Fedora Linux. So I do not know whether or not, when I slide the SD Card into it, the Linux system on my SD Card will turn my Raspberry Pi into a Raspberry Tart.

All the best

Ken
2xRPi 1, 2xRPi 2, 2xRPi4.
KODI: on RPi 2.
Webserver: on RPi 2.
PDC & fileserver: 4TB disc +RiscOS Pi on RPi 2 + 4.
Book: All about your computer - http://goo.gl/ZQf7c7

Kernel

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am

Interesting to hear that some people have had success on 64bit

I put my SD card into my phone so can't test but new ones will be arriving in the post soon so will try then

as for swap space see: https://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index. ... Swap_Space

bredman

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 am

I used the Fedora remix installer without a problem on a 64-bit PC.

The processor is an i5 2540M.

I used a HTC Desire smartphone as the SD card reader.

Return to “General discussion”