Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi there, first time writing here.

First my specs
Raspi B
16GB class 10 sd micro card with an adapter. I ran expand_rootfs
Hard Drive 160GB SATA via USB file system format ext4
Rosewill RX25-AT-SC-BLK 2.5" enclosure with is supposed to need 2A at 5v but works just fine with [email protected] and the enclosure gives power to the Raspi, all that said, lets talk about the problem.

Before posting here I did some search but I could find something that could help me.

I set it up my raspberry pi with raspian days ago, at first I had multiple troubles but I manage to create what I want, a torrent box.

I installed transmission and I've download several files without any problem but know I'm getting an error
Error: Unable to save resume file: No space left on device and effectively I don't have any space left on root, but why?

Code: Select all

@raspberrypi:/# df -m
Filesystem     1M-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs             14895 14895         0 100% /
/dev/root          14895 14895         0 100% /
devtmpfs             212     0       212   0% /dev
tmpfs                 44     1        44   1% /run
tmpfs                  5     0         5   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                 88     0        88   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1        56    19        38  34% /boot
/dev/sda1         150230   188    142411   1% /mnt/hdd
tmpfs                 88     0        88   0% /tmp

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/etc/transmission-daemon# df -i
Filesystem      Inodes IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
rootfs          974848 71536  903312    8% /
/dev/root       974848 71536  903312    8% /
devtmpfs         54033   331   53702    1% /dev
tmpfs            56097   264   55833    1% /run
tmpfs            56097     1   56096    1% /run/lock
tmpfs            56097     2   56095    1% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1       0     0       0     - /boot
/dev/sda1      9773056    13 9773043    1% /mnt/hdd
tmpfs            56097     3   56094    1% /tmp
this is my transmission json configuration

Code: Select all

{
    "alt-speed-down": 50,
    "alt-speed-enabled": false,
    "alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
    "alt-speed-time-day": 127,
    "alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
    "alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
    "alt-speed-up": 50,
    "bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
    "bind-address-ipv6": "::",
    "blocklist-enabled": false,
    "blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist",
    "cache-size-mb": 4,
    "dht-enabled": true,
    "download-dir": "/mnt/hdd/complete",
    "download-limit": 100,
    "download-limit-enabled": 0,
    "download-queue-enabled": true,
    "download-queue-size": 5,
    "encryption": 1,
    "idle-seeding-limit": 30,
    "idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false,
    "incomplete-dir": "/mnt/hdd/incomplete",
    "incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
    "lpd-enabled": false,
    "max-peers-global": 200,
    "message-level": 2,
    "peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
    "peer-limit-global": 240,
    "peer-limit-per-torrent": 60,
    "peer-port": 51413,
    "peer-port-random-high": 65535,
    "peer-port-random-low": 49152,
    "peer-port-random-on-start": false,
    "peer-socket-tos": "default",
    "pex-enabled": true,
    "port-forwarding-enabled": true,
    "preallocation": 1,
    "prefetch-enabled": 1,
    "queue-stalled-enabled": true,
    "queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
    "ratio-limit": 2,
"ratio-limit-enabled": false,
    "rename-partial-files": true,
    "rpc-authentication-required": true,
    "rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
    "rpc-enabled": true,
    "rpc-password": "password",
    "rpc-port": 9091,
    "rpc-url": "/transmission/",
    "rpc-username": "username",
    "rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
    "rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
    "scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": false,
    "script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
    "script-torrent-done-filename": "",
    "seed-queue-enabled": false,
    "seed-queue-size": 10,
    "speed-limit-down": 100,
    "speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
    "speed-limit-up": 100,
    "speed-limit-up-enabled": false,
    "start-added-torrents": true,
    "trash-original-torrent-files": false,
    "umask": 0,
    "upload-limit": 100,
    "upload-limit-enabled": 0,
    "upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
    "utp-enabled": true
}

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/# ls -l /mnt/hdd
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi  4096 Apr  1 19:37 complete
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi  4096 Apr  1 05:33 incomplete
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 16384 Mar 30 14:58 lost+found
what else?
The transmission damon is running with root instead of pi.

I don't know right now what to do, please help

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Difficult to say what is taking up the space based on that info. I suggest you try some tool so you can more easily examine what's taking up all the space, you could try ncdu (sudo apt-get install ncdu if it's not installed, just delete the apt-cache files or something you don't need if there's not enough space to install it). Run it with the command ncdu, after it examines your system you can go to a folder of interest with the arrow keys and press enter to go to a deeper level.

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 pm

I ran the raspi-config command and remove the option to boot it up to X which I don't need, rebooted and then following command as per this information http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... ess-server

Code: Select all

apt-get remove --dry-run --auto-remove --purge libx11-.*
still rootfs 100% used

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm

azeam wrote:Difficult to say what is taking up the space based on that info. I suggest you try some tool so you can more easily examine what's taking up all the space, you could try ncdu (sudo apt-get install ncdu if it's not installed, just delete the apt-cache files or something you don't need if there's not enough space to install it). Run it with the command ncdu, after it examines your system you can go to a folder of interest with the arrow keys and press enter to go to a deeper level.
Thank you for the answer, I'm leaving work right now, I will check at home
I ran

Code: Select all

find / -size +10000000c -exec ls -l {} \;
and still couldn't find anything big enough

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Can I delete this file?

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# find / -size +10000000c -exec ls -l {} \;
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 43485555 Mar 28 21:32 /root/.rpi-firmware/.git/objects/pack/pack-6aa6e410bc6f64f4d24371c1127211f21de59df9.pack

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Nehemoth wrote:Can I delete this file?

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# find / -size +10000000c -exec ls -l {} \;
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 43485555 Mar 28 21:32 /root/.rpi-firmware/.git/objects/pack/pack-6aa6e410bc6f64f4d24371c1127211f21de59df9.pack
Yes, should be safe to remove.

coyotebush
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I suspect your settings.json file is not getting read by the transmission daemon.

Instead of placing the downloads in the /mnt/hdd directory, the downloaded files are probably going to the default location somewhere under /var. Consequently, the root file fills up while the /mnt/hdd filesystem remains empty.

As a quick test, you could introduce a deliberate error into your settings.json and see if you get an error message when the daemon starts up.

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 pm

coyotebush wrote:I suspect your settings.json file is not getting read by the transmission daemon.

Instead of placing the downloads in the /mnt/hdd directory, the downloaded files are probably going to the default location somewhere under /var. Consequently, the root file fills up while the /mnt/hdd filesystem remains empty.

As a quick test, you could introduce a deliberate error into your settings.json and see if you get an error message when the daemon starts up.
Good point. The settings.json is in different locations depending on the distro (and maybe transmission version) and has caused me some headache earlier untill I realized that. On my RPi it is located at /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 pm

coyotebush wrote:I suspect your settings.json file is not getting read by the transmission daemon.

Instead of placing the downloads in the /mnt/hdd directory, the downloaded files are probably going to the default location somewhere under /var. Consequently, the root file fills up while the /mnt/hdd filesystem remains empty.

As a quick test, you could introduce a deliberate error into your settings.json and see if you get an error message when the daemon starts up.
That was my first though but if that is the case I should be able to find file above 10MBs, but I can not, even worst, I've now delete multiple files and the root file system is still at 100%.

I search for .mkv, .avi , .part, .temp and nothing arise, this is really weird.

I must be doing something wrong, right now I can no do any change cause transmission won't start and I believe the settings file is corrupted

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Again the ultra weird stuff, just deleted 19MB and still 100% full

stubright
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Have you checked in
/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads
for your downloads?
Stu

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Nehemoth wrote:Again the ultra weird stuff, just deleted 19MB and still 100% full
How are you deleting your files? Is transmission running?

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep transmission
Disconnect the RPi from the internet (unplug the cable or whatever), reboot, delete some files and see if it makes any difference.

Have you been able to try ncdu?

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:29 pm

stubright wrote:Have you checked in
/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads
for your downloads?
Stu
yes, no files there

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 pm

azeam wrote:
Nehemoth wrote:Again the ultra weird stuff, just deleted 19MB and still 100% full
How are you deleting your files? Is transmission running?

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep transmission
Disconnect the RPi from the internet (unplug the cable or whatever), reboot, delete some files and see if it makes any difference.

Have you been able to try ncdu?
To delete files, rm file path, even I deleted some path complete.
transmission isn't running

Code: Select all

 ps aux | grep transmission
root      2146  0.0  0.1   3540   812 pts/0    S+   19:34   0:00 grep transmission
ncdu

Code: Select all

Total disk usage:   0.0  B  Apparent size:   8.5KiB  Items: 327
disconnected from the Internet, turn it off, disconnected everything (the hdd, the power, the memory) and still the same.

I couldn't care less about a reinstalation, that's really easy but I would like to know about what's really happening here.

Also, this is a great place, love it already. Thank you for your time and kindness

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Try starting ncdu while you are in the root directory (cd /) or run

Code: Select all

ncdu /

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 pm

azeam wrote:Try starting ncdu while you are in the root directory (cd /) or run

Code: Select all

ncdu /
excellent

Code: Select all

 1.0GiB [##########] /usr
  165.6MiB [#         ] /var
   81.7MiB [          ] /lib
   59.4MiB [          ] /root

 496.3MiB [##########] /share
  357.7MiB [#######   ] /lib
  118.5MiB [##        ] /bin
   18.9MiB [          ] /include

  150.1MiB [##########] /locale
   68.1MiB [####      ] /doc
   47.1MiB [###       ] /scratch
   29.7MiB [#         ] /icons
   27.1MiB [#         ] /fonts
   19.8MiB [#         ] /perl
   17.7MiB [#         ] /man
   12.2MiB [          ] /i18n
   11.9MiB [          ] /poppler

 5.1MiB [##########] /fr
    4.3MiB [########  ] /ru
    4.0MiB [#######   ] /uk
    3.9MiB [#######   ] /es
    3.9MiB [#######   ] /de
    3.8MiB [#######   ] /vi
    3.6MiB [#######   ] /pl
    3.5MiB [######    ] /ja
    3.5MiB [######    ] /sv
    3.5MiB [######    ] /it
    3.4MiB [######    ] /id
    3.4MiB [######    ] /nl
    3.3MiB [######    ] /cs
    3.2MiB [######    ] /da
    3.0MiB [######    ] /fi
    3.0MiB [######    ] /zh_CN
    2.7MiB [#####     ] /ca

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:07 am

Nehemoth wrote:
azeam wrote:Try starting ncdu while you are in the root directory (cd /) or run

Code: Select all

ncdu /
excellent

Code: Select all

 1.0GiB [##########] /usr
  165.6MiB [#         ] /var
   81.7MiB [          ] /lib
   59.4MiB [          ] /root

 496.3MiB [##########] /share
  357.7MiB [#######   ] /lib
  118.5MiB [##        ] /bin
   18.9MiB [          ] /include

  150.1MiB [##########] /locale
   68.1MiB [####      ] /doc
   47.1MiB [###       ] /scratch
   29.7MiB [#         ] /icons
   27.1MiB [#         ] /fonts
   19.8MiB [#         ] /perl
   17.7MiB [#         ] /man
   12.2MiB [          ] /i18n
   11.9MiB [          ] /poppler

 5.1MiB [##########] /fr
    4.3MiB [########  ] /ru
    4.0MiB [#######   ] /uk
    3.9MiB [#######   ] /es
    3.9MiB [#######   ] /de
    3.8MiB [#######   ] /vi
    3.6MiB [#######   ] /pl
    3.5MiB [######    ] /ja
    3.5MiB [######    ] /sv
    3.5MiB [######    ] /it
    3.4MiB [######    ] /id
    3.4MiB [######    ] /nl
    3.3MiB [######    ] /cs
    3.2MiB [######    ] /da
    3.0MiB [######    ] /fi
    3.0MiB [######    ] /zh_CN
    2.7MiB [#####     ] /ca
Good. Seems as if it's just df giving you a false report and there's actually plenty of space left after all. A reboot should solve it and is probably the easiest way, see if that does it.

stubright
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 am

The transmission daemon runs as a different user (login details and daemon user are not the same), called
debian-transmission
and your hard drive is only accessible by your username pi. So transmission cannot write to the folder therefore it states the drive is full.

Could you, as a temporary measure,
sudo chmod 777 /mnt/hdd/complete
and restart transmission with
sudo service transmission-daemon restart
and see if transmission works.

Stu

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:24 am


Good. Seems as if it's just df giving you a false report and there's actually plenty of space left after all. A reboot should solve it and is probably the easiest way, see if that does it.
rebooted several times already, but the same

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am

Nehemoth wrote:

Good. Seems as if it's just df giving you a false report and there's actually plenty of space left after all. A reboot should solve it and is probably the easiest way, see if that does it.
rebooted several times already, but the same
Hmm. Noticed now that there's no /home directory in the output from ncdu, did you really paste everything? What does it say about total disk usage at the bottom? You can also try this (disconnect the external drive first though)

Code: Select all

sudo du / -shx

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am

azeam wrote:

Hmm. Noticed now that there's no /home directory in the output from ncdu, did you really paste everything? What does it say about total disk usage at the bottom? You can also try this (disconnect the external drive first though)

Code: Select all

sudo du / -sh
did not copy everything, just the big things, there's home

Turn it off the raspi, disconnected the hdd, turn it on, ran ncdu from / and same result as before.

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:00 am

Nehemoth wrote: did not copy everything, just the big things, there's home

Turn it off the raspi, disconnected the hdd, turn it on, ran ncdu from / and same result as before.
Ok. Can you paste the whole output after running it? What does it say about total disk usage at the bottom? Try this command as well and paste the output

Code: Select all

sudo du / -shx

Nehemoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 am

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 am

azeam wrote:bottom? Try this command as well and paste the output

Code: Select all

sudo du / -shx

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# sudo du / -shx
1.4G    / 

Code: Select all

ncdu 1.8 ~ Use the arrow keys to navigate, press ? for help
--- / ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.0GiB [##########] /usr
  166.0MiB [#         ] /var
   81.7MiB [          ] /lib
   59.4MiB [          ] /root
   49.3MiB [          ] /mnt
   18.6MiB [          ] /boot
    6.7MiB [          ] /sbin
    5.8MiB [          ] /bin
    5.6MiB [          ] /opt
    4.4MiB [          ] /etc
    2.0MiB [          ] /home
  360.0KiB [          ] /run
e  16.0KiB [          ] /lost+found
e   4.0KiB [          ] /srv
e   4.0KiB [          ] /selinux
e   4.0KiB [          ] /media
e   4.0KiB [          ] /boot.bak
    0.0  B [          ] /sys
    0.0  B [          ] /proc
    0.0  B [          ] /dev
    0.0  B [          ] /tmp
    0.0  B [          ]  p

 Total disk usage:   1.4GiB  Apparent size:   5.5GiB  Items: 90347
I reconfigured transmission again and right now is working, downloading again but still rootfs reported as full

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs          15251960 15046392         0 100% /
/dev/root       15251960 15046392         0 100% /
devtmpfs          216132        0    216132   0% /dev
tmpfs              44880      360     44520   1% /run
tmpfs               5120        0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs              89740        0     89740   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1     57288    18992     38296  34% /boot
/dev/sda1      153834532   191944 145828188   1% /mnt/hdd
tmpfs              89740        0     89740   0% /tmp
Days ago was having a similar issue but was a .part file which did not cleared after a 'trash data & remove from list', the rootfs was reporting 100% then but after the file deletion everything went back to normal, that its 21% utilization.

User avatar
azeam
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks. So it's definitely df reporting a wrong number.

This can happen when you, for example, delete a file that a running daemon is using, a reboot should solve this though.

My guess in this case is that you mounted the external hard drive on top of an existing file or directory (and not an empty directory), I believe this would cause df to count that file/directory even though you can't see or access it (maybe you started downloading to the mount point without the hard drive being mounted, then mounted the hard drive while the file was still there and then deleted it, or something like that). If it's working now though I don't think it's a big deal but you could try to investigate the mount directories, remove the old mount point/s and mount the hard drive properly.

coyotebush
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Transmission: No space left on device

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:53 am

Another possibility. Earlier, you might have unplugged the external disc drive. Files written to /mnt/hdd would have filled up the root directory instead. Now, with the disc drive plugged in, the earlier files would be hidden and would still be taking up space on root.

Suggestion: "umount /mnt/hdd", then "du -s /*" to see which directories are using space.

Return to “General discussion”