froschi

DTS License

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 am

Is there anything new about the topic?
Do the negotiations with DTS are progressing well ??

greetings,

froschi

Jessie

Re: DTS License

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Last I heard there were no negotiations. From what I have gathered DTS wants it paid for with all devices or none.

Just as a side note this is not the first time DTS has done this with a device.

ghans

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm

AFAIK the only problem isn't DTS , but GPU code , too. Passthrough
does need modifaction of DTS data (on the GPU) , which
seems counter-intuitive but has been sensibly explained by
dom elsewhere (too lazy to search now).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Jessie

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 am

I'm fairly sure that OP is referring to decoding the DTS stream via the GPU. Although he dosnt specify decode or passthrough. Currently DTS decode is done via software, but sometimes this creates choppy playback (although it is much better since Frodo came out.) The XBMC team has been able to hardware decode via the GPU for some time now but for some reason this cannot be enabled without a license. As always James or Dom are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Passthrough is as you (ghans) have stated. Not working and in need of a firmware patch.

goujam

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 am

As stated above DTS can be a pain to work with, take a look at the WDTV forums and the ongoing problems with it not doing DTS-MA pass through. This isnt even decoding, but just to pass the audio through and DTS wont allow any device without a physical drive to have a liecence and so the WDTV will never get a liecence.

Return to “General discussion”