hagiz

Music (remote controlled via) Bluetooth

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:34 pm

RaTTuS wrote:http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... 5341359084 is a very nice thing - not as cheep as a raspberry but ..... not far off
-Subject: Cubieboard vs RaspberryPi B
The idea is to take this lovely little thing out on trips. Attach small stereo speakers with aux and play music. I'd like to remotely control it with an iphone.

I want this to be portable, so no rotating harddrives will be used.
I have an SSD, but the SSD is probobly bigger than the PCB and would not run at the high speeds it really can do(AIUI).
So I'm leaning towards the eMMC module(never heard of before) to store music on.

Should I have the OS on a SD class 10 card, and the music on the eMMC.
To avoid writes to the SD? Or is putting music and video files on the SD card not a problem since it reads more than it will write?

The earlier idea was to order a Pi. Attach a 32GB nano usb and a nano usb bluetooth to it. This way I think I could, by using bluetooth, access and remotly control the music stored on the 32GB USB? (Maybe not a bad idea?)

I need more knowledge! :D
So you easier can help me out:
  • Pie: Rev B.
    Power: 12000mAh Battery OR Phone Charger
    SDHC: 32GB Samsung (Class 10) [MB-SSBGA/EU]
    Wifi USB: Belkin N300 Micro [F7D2102az]
    16GB USB: SanDisk Cruzer Fit (USB 2.0) [SDCZ33-016G-B35]

malakai

Re: Music (remote controlled via) Bluetooth

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 am

I personally don't really go into it with the fear the SD Card will fail or that the speed of the card is an issue.

If your constantly trying to write 32gigs of data onto a 32gig card say 10 times a day then a faster card will help but will die faster in this case you might have the wrong device.

USB Flash, SD as well as SSD all have a limitation to writes vs lifespan.

For a portable music player I think your missing the most important element = the battery you will get a longer run time if you stick to just SD but adding something else won't run the battery down unless you don't get the right one for such an application. I would for cost get just the bare setup decide on a battery based on cost see if it works for you if you still have budget left over add devices rinse and repeat until you have no money left :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

hagiz

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

malakai wrote:I personally don't really go into it with the fear the SD Card will fail or that the speed of the card is an issue.

If your constantly trying to write 32gigs of data onto a 32gig card say 10 times a day then a faster card will help but will die faster in this case you might have the wrong device.

USB Flash, SD as well as SSD all have a limitation to writes vs lifespan.

For a portable music player I think your missing the most important element = the battery you will get a longer run time if you stick to just SD but adding something else won't run the battery down unless you don't get the right one for such an application. I would for cost get just the bare setup decide on a battery based on cost see if it works for you if you still have budget left over add devices rinse and repeat until you have no money left :)
Haha, I will have to do that, one thing at a time. You might be absolutely right - Strategy wise.
Well, I left the battery option out for now. I wanted to see what other things I really was in need of.
Seems like a Raspberry pi + big SD card(OS&Music) + Bluetooth (for remote control) with a battery will suite my needs very well.

I'd like to control it through my phone(since I always have it with me). Do you have any tips on the remote control thingy?
I've only thought of these below options, but there might be more that I yet have no knowledge of:
-With Wifi it has to go through a router(witch is hard to find on a beach).
-Bluetooth seems to be an implemented standard, am I right? How much does Bluetooth affect the battery, I'm only aware of it draining mobiles?

Or maybe as you say, Malakai, there is no need for worry. I only need a good battery that will stand as a good backbone supplying enough power.

ghans

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 am

I think WiFi + (hostapd +) something like a captive portal
would be way easier and much more cross-platform
(esp. considering iOS) .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

malakai

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

For connectivity search for a cheap USB Wireless that supports AP EDUP and such make some but there are quite a few. sudo apt-get iw install
then iw list at command prompt shows what modes are supported by cards. Then a lightweight webserver hosting probably a php page and hostapd I believe will allow you to connect your phone to the pi and choose a song. Add security give the code to friends and they can control what is playing at the beach.

Throw in a large car battery a sound system amp and some speakers any you have enough to buy an IPod and docking station though :D

Some of what you can do with the Pi is because you want the experience to do it other times though you'll find a ready made solution that is about the same price though. Not to discourage but you have to keep that in mind when planning. I am on the, I would rather do it myself and be in complete control because the knowledge is better than the device side of it. That and bragging rights are priceless.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

hagiz

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:50 pm

I agree, one just wants a Pi to do something with!

Right now I have to much ideas that I could apply, but I try to focus my energy on this moblie music system.

I've justbuilt a small pair of speakers into a wooden cabinet. I am really satisfied but it was missing the 2013 update(wireless communication).

Therfore I decided for Raspberry and as you suggest power from battery

EDIT: ipod docks are boring(unless you build it :)

hagiz

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 am

ghans wrote:I think WiFi + (hostapd +) something like a captive portal
would be way easier and much more cross-platform
(esp. considering iOS) .

ghans
Okey, i followed your lead. I bought, what you may now see in my sig.

I've installed RaspBMC without problems.
Should be said: I haven't tried any media with it, just the interface.

How do I accomplish your suggestion? Can I do it through XMBC?(I'm open for other distros aswell, this is fun!)
XMBC seems to have webserver, airplay, control via other periferals. Could that work?

ghans

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am

You should research on the RaspBMC forum how and
which WiFi dongles have been made to work , and then you
could try turning you Smartphone into a WiFi accesspoint.
Then you can use apps like Yatse to control your Pi.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

hagiz

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am

ghans wrote:You should research on the RaspBMC forum how and
which WiFi dongles have been made to work , and then you
could try turning you Smartphone into a WiFi accesspoint.
Then you can use apps like Yatse to control your Pi.

ghans
Thank you! I'll try that!

I bought my USB Wifi since it was on the http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

EDIT: I did a search on the Raspbian forum:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php ... 7#pid40047

I did try the official XBMC Remote controller for ios. It found it by itself and it seems to work fine.
But i have yet to try wireless.

hagiz

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 am

Hi!

It worked like a charm! This little fellow is amazing!

Right now, the raspberry tries to find my iphone. The sharing of wifi is draining the phonebattery. I only want the phone to send commands to the Raspberry Pi.
Could I let the Raspberry Pi have it's own wifi network?. So my phone(or others) can connect to. It wont have any internet, but that's perfectly fine. My goal is just to have wireless control.

Any thoughts? (I've tried searching since my last post, and tried to learn what ad-hoc means in practice but with no further luck I'm afraid)

ghans

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:33 am

Search for a hostapd/dhcpd tutorial. Sadly i have no experience
in setting up a WiFi dongle in Access Point (AP)
mode. To complicate matters , not all dongles support
AP mode. You can check that with the "iw" command
IIRC , but you have to apt-get it first.

I believe i have to google that all myself again ...

ghans

hagiz

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm

ghans wrote: I believe i have to google that all myself again ...

ghans
Hehe! Please share if you find something relevant.

How do I get to the command line interface in this Raspbmc?
I'm only familliar with it on full installations of linux

ghans

Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

SSH is enabled by default , you have to get the IP Address of the Pi and then connect with PuTTY

ghans

TheIllegalGiant

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 am

I just wrote this post, then found yours. Seems we are all in the same boat here:
Looking to create a Raspberry Pi _server_ with dropbox like drag and drop file handling over a network.
This Raspberry Pi could create a que of things to play next based on user input. These files would be held on the external drive connected to it. Some sort of code would have to be created to keep a running tally of what is next in the que and what to do with the specific items after the last song has played.
Is there a way to create this? It would have to somehow have to be accessed on a network, have files added and removed to an external drive and then keep an order of play.

My dream is to have a website/address you could go to (only accessible from my home network) to pick songs to play next and remove songs from the que. I could also add in some Pandora support here.

There are plenty of airplay solutions that will work, but this seems like a much better way to do it to me. Would this just be too much effort for not a lot of reward?
It looks like XMBC may be the best bet but I have no idea how to go about even getting this started. I'm currently studying abroad and am coming home in ~3 weeks so ordering a Pi to myself here/at home may be a little ridiculous at this point.

ghans

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Sounds exactly like Music Player Daemon (MPD) to me.
Lots of Clients for iOS , Droids and various PC mediaplayers
available.

ghans

hagiz

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:54 am

Okey, I got hit by the

Code: Select all

nl80211 not found.
when doing the iw list command.
I did purceede with this & this tutorial anyways(why not try).

I have followed the steps many times and went through the steps so thorough that I even submitted correctings(But maybe that's where I'm wrong).

I configured a open network that I can't see at all. I don't think the wifi is even starting up(since it's not blinking blue). And I know the wifi adapter is correctly recognized, since I checked that from the beginning.

Am I screwed with this wifi adapter or what are my options? Other drivers? Different OS?

Now I did it once more, but I see another result:

Starting advanced IEEE 802.11 management: hostapdSegmentation fault
 failed!
Do you have a smart idea that's not regarding AP mode but would solve my problem. Please share.
I basically want to be able to connect to the RaspBMC with a smartphone. I know that my phone can supply a wifi, but it's draining my phones battery. Any thoughts are super duper welcome

Eloverphx

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 pm

hagiz wrote:Okey, I got hit by the

nl80211 not found.
when doing the iw list command.
I did purceede with this & this tutorial anyways(why not try).

I have followed the steps many times and went through the steps so thorough that I even submitted correctings(But maybe that's where I'm wrong).

I configured a open network that I can't see at all. I don't think the wifi is even starting up(since it's not blinking blue). And I know the wifi adapter is correctly recognized, since I checked that from the beginning.

Am I screwed with this wifi adapter or what are my options? Other drivers? Different OS?

Now I did it once more, but I see another result:

Starting advanced IEEE 802.11 management: hostapdSegmentation fault
 failed!
Do you have a smart idea that's not regarding AP mode but would solve my problem. Please share.
I basically want to be able to connect to the RaspBMC with a smartphone. I know that my phone can supply a wifi, but it's draining my phones battery. Any thoughts are super duper welcome
You need to change the driver in the /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf file to match your wifi card.
RTL8192CU
It's looking for A wifi device that doesn't match what you have plugged in. Make sure that you have the drivers installed.

Now go to /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf and comment out the line driver=nl80211 and add line driver=rtl871xdrv

Give that a shot. That should work for the missing part. I had a heck of a time getting my wifi setup and running. I am using raspian wheezy and just using it as a samba server to and xbmc clients on my tablets for my mobile movie server. Also I installed airplay so you can send music from your iPhone and play it using the 3.5mm audio jack.
Let me know how it goes.

Return to “General discussion”