GodzillaWithFlippers

Shipping Cost

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm

How much does it typically cost to ship 1 raspberry pi unit in the US when buying from Element14? There's no option to estimate shipping costs. MCM charges around $10.50 for basic shipping. Is it normally that much everywhere?

PS1981

Re: Shipping Cost

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Just to compare, standard shipping in Europe (or to Germany at least) from Farnell is €7,95 for parts below the value of €150. In my opinion this is a very high price but maybe it actually does cost them that much I don't know. It does however cause me to only buy things there which I cannot get elsewhere. RS have similar shipping costs, but FOC as of €50 I think.

yakko TDI

Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 am

Just wait until they offer free shipping on order over $100. I bought 2 for me and 2 for a friend at work that at the same time because of that.

pjc123

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:40 am

When I bought my first pi, Newark charged $5.00 for shipping. I ordered from MCM this time because it was the only supplier that had it in stock and shipping was $15.49, UPS ground. Unless the shipment was insured, there is no way that shipping costs could be that high, especially since it arrived in a simple bubble mailing envelope; it should have came in a gold plated Pelican case for that price. Needless to say, that will be the last time I use MCM for anything.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ski522

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah...MCM's shipping cost are highway robbery! At the time that was the only place I could get the Pi and while I bought it from them, the shipping robbery has pretty much turned me off from ordering from them ever again...ARE YOU LISTENING MCM?!?!! I'm willing to pay fair and reasonable shipping cost, but $15 to ship a Pi?!?!?!?

ski522

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am

RaTTuS wrote:http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... dp/43W5302
??? is that not good enough?
Availability: 0

malakai

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 am

Both sites are similar in cost MCM is generally a few dollars more but not a lot more. Here is my newark receipt for 2 pi's

Mdse Total: 70.00 Sales Tax: 4.80 Freight: 7.47 Invoice Total: 82.27

So if you take $2.40 as tax for each and $7.47 for shipping (one unit or two) that's $9.87 plust $35 for the Pi. Newark was about $44.87 shipped. OP stated the Pi plus $10.50 shipping from MCM is $45.50 the difference is .63 cents. I find that MCM should be cheaper the more you buy as they are not charging sales tax. (Not sure if every state is charged tax by Newark) although MCM does scale shipping if I remember correctly.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

mcmelectronics

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm

To clarify the shipping costs - our shipping model is still based on your order value, not the weight of the order. Because of this, some smaller orders get charged a bit more for shipping, while lots of larger orders are probably being charged less than competitors would charge. Unfortunately, this affects those who order only Pi boards and other lightweight products the most.

We continue to offer free shipping on orders over $199, and we plan to move to a weight based model in the future.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics
facebook.com/mcmelectronics

HappyPiUser

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Recently ordered my Raspberry Pi from MCM and paid about $15 in shipping for regular UPS ground delivery. That was the shipping cost for three items (the Pi, a case and a USB wifi dongle).

Compared to some "high-volume discount computer resellers", the shipping seemed a little bit high. But compared to other "electronic component distributors" (think "Mouser" or "Digi-key") it was about "par for the course". Most distributors have a minimum order value and will charge more for shipping small orders.

I looked at other options for purchasing a Pi (like from Amazon or eBay), but the total cost was going to be about the same as MCM. It seems those resellers had "baked" the shipping cost into the item. It was going to cost me $45, at least, to get a Pi Model B from other sources.

Therefore, I ordered from MCM, partly because I felt like I would be getting the newest production from them. After I ordered, they promptly sent me a confirmation and tracking email. My order was placed on a Thursday and I got the Pi by the next Wed. For non-priority shipping, I think that was fast. It was well packed and I have no complaints.

W8LM

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 am

Have you tried Amazon.com?

They publish a number of "fullfillers" and rate them. The list various prices and shipping costs. There is one fullfilment company in Michigan that is selling the PI at $38.99 plus $4.98 shipping ($43.97) and is including a "free" micro USB power cable... That is less than MCM.($45+)

Now when I bought mine it was :o FREE :o to me...FREE :o :shock: :P ????!!!??? How did I do that??????

I applied and have an AMAZON.COM VISA card. I get 3 points for buying on Amazon. 2 or 1 point buying elsewhere. I buy my groceries, my gas, pay my cellphone bill, internet and electricity, all on the Amazon.com VISA card. I even charged my license plates. I never pay interest because I pay it off each month.. as I would if I only used cash...(My daughter charges her apartment rent on her's to get points)

Then I use the points for my toys. I bought a 2 way radio, Arduino, a Ethernet shield and my Rasberry Pi this year for ALL for free.

Now granted I am not some college kid, I am a business man with a few years experience. I travel about 30,000+ miles a year by car and put all my gas on the card. That's a 1000+ gallons at $3.49+ a gallon, that's 3500+ points or the Raspberry PI right there. I would of spent the money anyhow. Plus I have a credit card record of all my gas purchases for the IRS.

Buy it on Amazon and that's 132 points towards your next one :D .

W8LM

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

yakko TDI wrote:Just wait until they offer free shipping on order over $100. I bought 2 for me and 2 for a friend at work that at the same time because of that.
Don't wait... look on line for (Google-) coupons for MCM electronics.
and up pops a couple of promo codes, I used the 10% off yesterday. :shock:
as I only spent $63 total at MCM this time.

pjc123

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am

HappyPiUser wrote: But compared to other "electronic component distributors" (think "Mouser" or "Digi-key") it was about "par for the course". Most distributors have a minimum order value and will charge more for shipping small orders.
Maybe you are shipping to the Artic Circle, but here in the US I order from Mouser and Digikey on a regular basis, and shipping costs for similar values and/or weight are always half of what MCM is charging to ship raspberry pis. This is pure profit. On top of that, my Mouser and Digikey orders come in large boxes with tons of cushioning, not in a bubble mailer.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Return to “General discussion”