beginnerb

HP Linux Imaging and Printing, will this work?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a software that can connect my Hp Officejet J4550 All-in-one to the pi. I've seen forums about cups, but i don't know what they are so I took a different aproach looking for some software from hp. I then came up with HP Linux Imaging and Printing and it works with Desbian (not sure), heres the link on intalling the software: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html . But I'm not sure if it will work and in the proccess of installing this came up:
note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
error: debian-7.0 version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using debian-6.0.6 version packages.
Press 'y' to continue auto installation. Press 'n' to quit auto instalation(y=yes, n=no*):

So now I'm not sure if this is safe or will it work, and I'm worried it could damage my pi.
Also I have no idea what it does specficly does(like printing something).Please help.

Spid

Re: HP Linux Imaging and Printing, will this work?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 pm

ONE SHOULD ALWAYS INSTALL SOFTWARE FROM REPOSITORIES IF AVAILABLE !!

Raspbian "wheezy has HPLIP in the repository and though it is slow to print it does work ! it will not hurt the Pi as that is the Hardware, you will be installing software packages

You need to be at the command line and type the following pressing the enter key after each entry

sudo su
usermod -a -G lpadmin pi
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install hplip
apt-get install hplip-gui

It will also install other dependencies, when prompted for yes/no type y and press enter

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

beginnerb

Re: HP Linux Imaging and Printing, will this work?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks Spid you're always a big help and thanks for telling me about luakit because it the only browser i like using on the pi. :D

bryan

Return to “General discussion”