kevtheislander

Wifi expansion board

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I have spent countless hours researching the possibility of an in built wifi module to the pi and read many power relating articles. However a USB wifi dongle works great and since this draws power from the supply why is it an issue to created a version of the dongle on to an expansion board or even built into the pi module b its self. I got a wifi dongle for £4 that is small and seems this little device would easily fit inside a pi case freeing up a USB port. Reasons for freeing up the USB port is I use a remote control for one of them and want to use the other USB port for booting raspbmc from the sd card while keeping my wifi connection.

tonyhughes

Re: Wifi expansion board

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 pm

By booting from the SD card do you not mean the onboard SD slot?

kevtheislander

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Yeah I currently use the sd card which is slow in loading raspbmc menus. I learnt that when installing the image to the sd card check the USB option and insert a USB drive into the USB port makes raspbmc run faster. So I'm guessing the USB drive boots the software from the sd card

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

kevtheislander

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks spid, the wifi slice card looks exactly the kind of solution am looking for. Would the XA-SK-WIFI slice on its own work with the pi's GPIO. Has this been tested already?

Return to “General discussion”