zag

Re: 3rd party sites

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey I just noticed in the front page comments that a 3rd party raspberry pi website was *censored*.

I run another site(nothing to do with *mods), should I remove my signature on this forum?

I try not to advertise it anywhere else and its not commercial like some of the other ones.

There are loads of sites springing up everywhere so a clear policy (rather than censorship) would be good.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:24 pm

No, you're fine. The site in question was trying to raise money for its owners by selling shirts with our branding on, and its owner had also spent quite a lot of time here and on Twitter (and, I imagine, elsewhere) trying to get people to stop using this site (broadly speaking, by badmouthing the foundation) and use his instead. We're perfectly happy for fan sites to appear, but we don't take very kindly to that sort of behaviour.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

grumpyoldgit

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 pm

The issue was that they were abusive, arrogant and obnoxious, not that they had set up another site.

zag

Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Its the biggest sign of success to have people try to emulate you
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

AlArenal

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Actually, that site does not design and try to sell shirts itself. It's members there who are sort of creative and started a thread posting possible design ideas.

Besides that, I had a lengthy discussion there about different point of views when it comes to blaming people for disrespecting the community and not putting enough effort in.

I have a feeling that some have a hard time imagining how time consuming this project is for you and others and how hard it is to make a living full-time and simultaneously building such a great product, driving this community, keeping the site running somehow, being there for the media, for support and business partners, figuring out the legal stuf, etc. etc. etc - and try to do it all at once.

Hold on, it's getting better

Andre_P

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Liz : have you considered selling Tshirts ? I think they would be great

abishur

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Indeed they have!  I believe on the twitter feed liz has mentioned that one of the reasons they asked the other site(s) not to is because they plan to release their own shirts/merc.  They would probably have done it by now if it weren't for that pesky pi thingy be so dang popular
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”