sim_tcr

Is ps3mediaserver available for Raspberry Pi?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello,

Will ps3mediaserver work on a Raspberry Pi?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

Spid

Re: Is ps3mediaserver available for Raspberry Pi?

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:52 pm

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... =3&t=14688

The PS3 uses a PPC based CPU Architecture

The Pi uses an ARMv6 CPU Architecture

..completely different!
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

mline

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Spid wrote:http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... =3&t=14688

The PS3 uses a PPC based CPU Architecture

The Pi uses an ARMv6 CPU Architecture

..completely different!
?!
ps3mediaserver not running on PS3. Its only a Java DLNA server to share multimedia for PS3 ;)
sim_tcr wrote:Hello,

Will ps3mediaserver work on a Raspberry Pi?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
Yes but not very satisfying...
<~~>

sim_tcr

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

mline wrote: Yes but not very satisfying...
Are there any instructions available?
I am currently using minidlna, but looks like it does not suppport srt subtitles. ps3mediaserver supports srt subtitles. Thats why I am trying to install it.
Are there any other dlna software available for raspberry pi which support srt subtitles?

Thanks,
Simon Mandy
http://raspisimon.no-ip.org
Raspberry Pi Model B x 2, Raspberry Pi 2 x 2, Transcend 32GB Class 10, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 8GB Class 4, Custom 12V 1.5A (stepped down to 5.5V)

Jessie

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 pm

I doubt it's been ported. You would have to be the first. If it java like you say then the only way to get it running well would be to install the Oracle VM. Which is still in beta state, you will have to search up on that.

As a side note I have a friend that runs that software on an atom NetBook and it chokes during transcode often. So I wouldn't hold much hope for the R Pi of dealing with anything other than native formats and containers. The PS3 makes a pretty poor media player which is why I stopped using mine as one. Lack of mkv support and constant dlna errors just made it unusable.

Jessie

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Just by doing some some searches I have found Debian and Ubuntu directions. Since raspbian is a Debian dirivitive as long as there are no x86 specific instructions you should be able to get it up and going. I may give it a try for you today or tomorrow but don't count on it.

Jessie

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:02 pm

So far not much luck, it looks like it requires libraries not avalible for ARM. I am not done yet but thus far nothing has worked.

Geoneil

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I'm assuming that this won't work with OpenJDK?

The reason why I'm asking is I'm looking for a DLNA server for the Pi, I've tried to install MiniDLNA and Mediatomb but they both fail with an "Illegal instruction" message, Rygel doesn't appear to crash but isn't great, I think it only runs when I'm logged in as a user which isn't what I want really.

Jessie

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 pm

The problem had nothing to do with Java. It's been a couple weeks since I attempted it but as I recall it required a couple external (not java) libraries that only work on x86 platforms. Java is very portable but some programmers still find ways to make their code platform specific.

But maybe I didn't try hard enough or something slipped my grasp. There are plenty of instructions on installing it on Debian if you google around give them a shot with raspbian.

I have never had any issues with miniDLNA, but I also admit that I have only installed it on other ARM platforms like the PogoPlug. Anymore, I don't often bother with DLNA anything because XBMC (assuming that is how you are viewing your content) will find media on a samba share which is much faster. I will look into miniDLNA for you in the next couple days when I get some time, but I'm not messing with ps3mediaserver again that someone else can mess with.

Geoneil

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

The problem had nothing to do with Java. It's been a couple weeks since I attempted it but as I recall it required a couple external (not java) libraries that only work on x86 platforms. Java is very portable but some programmers still find ways to make their code platform specific.
Ah right, I'm still at the stage of follow instructions and hope that it works and I seem to be running into bother with there being no ARM ports for certain software, they code for Intel and that's it!
But maybe I didn't try hard enough or something slipped my grasp. There are plenty of instructions on installing it on Debian if you google around give them a shot with raspbian.
I'll give it a go next time I'm at the Pi, either that or read up on the whole structure of Debian's /etc/init.d/* scripts in the hope I don't break something! Kludging Rygel into running as a daemon may be easier, especially with Rygel not being a Java app...
I have never had any issues with miniDLNA, but I also admit that I have only installed it on other ARM platforms like the PogoPlug. Anymore, I don't often bother with DLNA anything because XBMC (assuming that is how you are viewing your content) will find media on a samba share which is much faster. I will look into miniDLNA for you in the next couple days when I get some time, but I'm not messing with ps3mediaserver again that someone else can mess with.
There seems to be a few people having bother with minidlna, my guess is at one point is the minidlna package was all ARM6 code then was at some point updated with a package containing some ARM7 code (though having said that, I can't install from the source package either)

I haven't yet tried multiarching with armel but I'm a wee bit nervy of that, again, something I could try quite easily when I get back home. It's just a shame Debian went with the policy of writing their armhf branch for ARM7 processors as it means more and more work for the Raspbian team to make sure that ARM7 code from upstream doesn't end up on their repositories (if that is the problem, I certainly can't blame them for not watching all 20000+ packages)

Oh, and my PCs read samba shares fine, I have a "Smart" TV that will only access DLNA, doesn't support CIFS at all.

Jessie

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I see, I will see what I can come up with to help you. It may not happen till this weekend.

Jessie

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:37 am

I hate to disappoint but so far the installation is going smooth. Here is my installation procedure with Raspbian:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install minidlna
I haven't configured and tested yet, but I will give you the results when I do.

Jessie

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Last night I configured miniDLNA using this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MiniDLNA the guide is for Arch but works fine on Raspbian which is what my Pi is set-up for.
These are the changes I made to the config in that guide:

#network_interface=eth0                         # Self-discovers if commented (at times necessary to set)
media_dir=V,/media
friendly_name=test server                      # Optional
db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna                      # MiniDLNA Media_DB dir needs to be un-commented
log_dir=/var/log                                # Log dir needs to be un-commented
inotify=yes                                     # 'no' for less resources, restart required for new media
presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php     # or use your device static IP http://192.168.0.14:8200/
And then did this from the CLI after that:

# mkdir /var/{cache,log}/minidlna
# chown pi:pi /var/{cache,log}/minidlna
That was enough for me to view a DVD rip on my PC. I will test with other devices tonight and tomorrow to make sure it is working ok and get back with you.

Edit: so far I have tested on a Windows PC, iPhone 5, and PS3 all are able to play the 1.5G DVD rip.

Return to “General discussion”