Cylon

Re: Learning - Good use of your time

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am

Firstly I would like to say thanks for the arrival of my Raspberry Pi Stickers Hurrah.

Now the Sensible bit :

I think we should all be concentrating on the goals of the foundation of which one of them is to learn and propagate the knowledge to the/a wider community.

Most of us have a good 5 to 7 weeks of waiting for the PI's to arrive. What better and productive use of your time would be to get to grips with Linux (any distro to be honest) preferable the Default reference Foundation option Debian or researching other related items.

I always find learning when I know nothing most rewarding and the benefit is you understand what's actually happening at the time your doing it.

Obviously some of use can't be super techie or have masses of virtual machines etc but starting somewhere helps you and possibly others in the same situation and skill as yourself.

Using the time for me will be with learning Python as I have neglected my time on programming for far too long.

Hopefully some of the negativity out in the forums both here and Licensed Manufacture's will subside. I think most of us are very happy to be involved even if we have to wait longer than anticipated. Even I ranted on the day but im glad our forum and helpful people are here.

steviewevie

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am

Excellent suggestion !

... preferable the Default reference Foundation option Debian ...

Isn't the default Foundation distribution Fedora though ?

Cylon

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 am

I refer to the currently posted download on the downloads page  but yes i take your point when its available

jamieoliver22

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 pm

I've already been getting to grips with Debian, and learning Python - the delay will definately give me time to learn and practice things before it arrives!

JollyRoger

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm doing the same. I'm a Windows 7 user, but want to learn Linux & Python in preparation of the Pi.

I've got an ancient Pentium III laptop (about 12/13 years old) which I've dragged out of a cupboard, with 64 Mb of RAM and 10 Gb hard disk. I've upgraded the RAM to 512 Mb (its maximum) and managed to install Fedora 14 with the Gnome desktop on it. But it's pretty slow (the processor registers at 500 Mhtz), and it stutters when playing youtube or other online videos. I've installed VLC on it, and that plays downloaded stuff OK.

I guess that with a 500 Mhertz processor and 512 Mb of RAM it's roughly equivalent to a Pi in power. Does that mean that the Pi will also struggle to play videos? And is there anything I can do to speed up my ancient laptop?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

steviewevie

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

JollyRoger said:

I guess that with a 500 Mhertz processor and 512 Mb of RAM it's roughly equivalent to a Pi in power. Does that mean that the Pi will also struggle to play videos?

RPi has hardware decoding support for H.264 videos. So it should be able to do a very good job of it, given a player that uses this.

Prometheus

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 pm

JollyRoger said:

And is there anything I can do to speed up my ancient laptop?

Try using a lighter desktop environment – GNOME is pretty heavy!

LXDE and Xfce will be the options available in the initial version of the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix, so I would strongly suggest trying those, instead. You don"t have to reinstall the OS to switch to one of these – just install it in the same way as anything else (on Fedora, that"s done using YUM, if memory serves – if you already installed VLC this way, then you already know how it's done ), and then choose it at the login screen the next time you log in. On most distros, you should see an option such as "Xfce session" or "LXDE session" – this means that, once you log in, you"ll find yourself in whichever desktop environment you chose to use.

You should find that the machine is much nippier with one of these! This also makes quite a difference to much newer machines, as well.

clacktronics

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 pm

JollyRoger said:

I'm doing the same. I'm a Windows 7 user, but want to learn Linux & Python in preparation of the Pi.

I've got an ancient Pentium III laptop (about 12/13 years old) which I've dragged out of a cupboard, with 64 Mb of RAM and 10 Gb hard disk. I've upgraded the RAM to 512 Mb (its maximum) and managed to install Fedora 14 with the Gnome desktop on it. But it's pretty slow (the processor registers at 500 Mhtz), and it stutters when playing youtube or other online videos. I've installed VLC on it, and that plays downloaded stuff OK.

I guess that with a 500 Mhertz processor and 512 Mb of RAM it's roughly equivalent to a Pi in power. Does that mean that the Pi will also struggle to play videos? And is there anything I can do to speed up my ancient laptop?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It has a separate processor to deal with video offloading work from the main processor

Have you thought about looking at these tutorials?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ra.....ture=watch

they show you how to install a virtual machine on your Windows computer so you can mess around with Debian/Fedora on your PC without messing it up!
My Kickstarter for a analogue AV out - kck.st/1SuGDvV

JollyRoger

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Many thanks to the above for their trouble in answering my query. I'll investigate further the possibility of a lighter desktop. And it's a relief to know the Pi will outperform my ancient beast!

count_zero99uk

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Ive just made the virtual PI using that tutorial, its very straight forward going to start looking though the rest of his tutorials tommorow.

Take care

Have fun.

Return to “General discussion”