texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Farnell order moved out!

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 am

Well that"s just great!
Just got an email from Farnell and my estimated delivery has been moved out from 23/4 to 15/5.
Anyone else had the same?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

getitonbangagong

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am

Snap....  

Vindicator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 am

Mine started at 4/3/2012 and is now 5/15/2012 and wont be surprised if that gets moved also this has been very disorganized.

Still haven't received shipping price so that will be the next bombshell.

Not sure why shipping is so hard for them to post, this should have been the bonus to going to retail companies.

Mine is Newark/Element14
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

radu

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:31 am

I am not surprised at all. This is why I didn't even bother to pre order yet, because by the time it will come (maybe second half of 2012 or even later) there might be better things out there. Not cheaper, but better.

Rpi

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am

Yes, just got another delivery update. Third one I've received. So far I've been told R-Pi would be delivered on W/C 26th March, 23rd April and now 14th May.

It doesn't inspire confidence. I managed to place my order just after 8am on launch day.

What a shame that with such great launch publicity the R-Pi is beginning to emulate the delivery woes of its BBC Model B ancestor, which we experienced in the early days of home computing. Actually, not so much BBC Model B as Sinclair deliveries, which were months behind promised delivery dates.

The initial enthusiasm I had for the R-Pi is beginning to wane...

pandapi

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 am

Same. 16/4 -> 14/5.
I"ve got a mate who ordered a couple of days after me that now has a better date than me.

I think I"ll get mine about July at this rate, on the lookout for alternatives as need some hardware before then.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:06 am

I bet your mate also gets the email !
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

adlambert

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 am

I've also had the same message. Possibly the delays are caused by production scheduling in China – just guessing.

I'm fairly sure that the date will slip further in the next few weeks, probable mid summer delivery.

Does anyone know if Farnell have actually taken money from the card payments? If they have then I will consider cancelling and getting it refunded. I'm happy to wait until orders can be shipped ex-stock.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 am

14/05 now here also
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gordonb

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 am

Yep, got the email confirmation the delivery date has been pushed out to ~ W/C 14/05/2012

Previous estimate was W/C 16/04/2012

andrewlavens

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 am

Same here. Originally mid-April, now mid-May.

steviewevie

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:40 am

14th May for me too now.

The eternal optimist within me is trying to look on this as a good thing though. Hopefully it is because of huge demand and therefore the manufacturers drastically increasing their rate of production, a change which might take a bit of time to carry out but will bring big benefits (i.e. big volume production !).

PisRUS

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am

I guess delays were to be expected, but to me what is completely and utterly unacceptable is the lack of information as to exactly what is happening and what is causing the delays.

People who have pre-ordered should be afforded the common courtesy of being regularly updated by the Raspberry Pi folks and/or Farnell/RS.

jamieoliver22

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:57 am

Same here - started out as 26th March, then 23rd April and now it has been moved to 14th May. I was hoping for release around my birthday, but to no avail.

meltwater

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 am

Yep I had the same, moved from WC 16th April to WC 14th May.

Hopefully they are just being careful, afterall imagine trying to manage 20 to 30 different shipping dates worldwide and not missing any.

I wonder if they will bring another manufacturer in too, otherwise that is a lot of eggs in one basket.  Same goes if RS is also sharing the production...(anther possible reason for the shift, suddenly they find out/realise they have half the capacity they thought they did).

Anyway, hopefully it is an over-estimate, if not, well there is no way to get it faster so I will wait.  Also, there is hope that model A will end up being produced in a different factory, if the other one is already maxed out for model B...

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Nexy

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 am

Have Farnell even apologised for this pathetic farce? They couldn't even keep their own website up after being forewarned (but that's the other thread.) Same mid-May date now. Fuming.  Not RasPi's fault per se, but they seem to have picked a couple of bloody awful companies to do business with. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Bluemerlin

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 am

Mine too 16/4 to 14/5, I got my order in lunchtime launch day.

JoeDaStudd

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:17 am

Mine also went from 16/4 to 14/5

At this rate they'll still be shipping the back orders when the new school year starts.

I'm sure if a small (but perfectly formed :-p) foundation like the R-Pi foundation can get 10,000 units created within a month large companies like Farnell and RS with there buying power and industry contacts should be easily able to get 10x created in a similar time frame.

Fingers cross they have taken into account the school markets and are reserving a few hundred thousand for them.

nigelmouse

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

Same for me, first WC 26/3, then WC 23/04, now WC 14/05.

adlambert

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

I don't think there is anything particularly bad or unexpected going on here. Given  that the two companies were expected to deal with a dam-burst rush then it could only be chaotic. But personally, I do prefer the RS approach, where they have NOT taken any real orders. Farnell have been taking real orders and credit card information for stock that they don't hold, nor have any accurate idea when they will be getting it.

meltwater

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 am

Nexy said:

Have Farnell even apologised for this pathetic farce? They couldn't even keep their own website up after being forewarned (but that's the other thread.) Same mid-May date now. Fuming.  Not RasPi's fault per se, but they seem to have picked a couple of bloody awful companies to do business with. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

The companies are a good choice for producing the boards...but it's just the problem with the massive numbers involved.  Wish they would release some real figures here...

Based on the foundations plan of 10K batches every month, we'd only be looking at 120k of units in a year, I'm sure that is still a tiny percentage of the numbers which have been ordered.  At the moment this is our best chance of getting a unit, and no doubt the foundation are working very hard to resolve as much as they can with them, so that the highest number of boards can get to the widest possible number of people.

It was always going to be a problem, only big companies can smooth out these things by producing the huge numbers in advanced required to meet such demands.  Even then, they don't always get it right (plenty examples of that).

There are a 1000 ways they could have done it, and every way would have had it's issues and risks, so like everything on the project, they've looked at the options and made the best choice they could on the information they had.  I imagine one of the key considerations was, how can we get enough units produced...

babbage

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 am

Like the others, mine has also moved from April to May this morning. Interestingly, I made an order for a second unit at the weeked (i'm a sucker for a free t-shirt) and that date was also anticipated for May…I'm hoping that date doens't get moved to June in a week or so?

zag

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 am

I can't help but think using amazon or ebay would have been a better idea.

At the very least the pre orders would have been fair and stock levels visable.

They would also have had the server power to deal with all the interest.

I am guessing they wanted too much commision though. Ebay is around 10%, not sure about amazon though.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

ayster

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 am

me too! 14/05/2012, like others have said, they should give some kind of explaination or whatever so we're not left in the dark! This has to be the worst planned launch ever!

meltwater

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:35 am

zag said:

I can't help but think using amazon or ebay would have been a better idea.

At the very least the pre orders would have been fair and stock levels visable.

They would also have had the server power to deal with all the interest.

I am guessing they wanted too much commision though. Ebay is around 10%, not sure about amazon though.

You've missed the point...stock would be 0, simple.

Return to “General discussion”