jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Never used linux "building" a pc

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:50 pm

abishur wrote:
tonyhughes wrote:I hated Ubuntu's Unity desktop initially. Then left and went with Gnome and XFCE.
I still can't stand the unity desktop, especially the way I am forced to keep the "taskbar" on the left hand side of the screen with no options to move it. It's linux, I'm supposed to have complete control over basic things like this :x

I recently moved to mint 14 and have (thus far) been very happy with it. It's ubuntu minus unity, I'm using the cinnamon desktop and its rather nice.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/33605/ca ... y-launcher

Answer - no - but I can see why they have made the decision.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

tonyhughes

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Downloading now... (Cinnamon ver)

unclejed613

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 am

i've been using slackware linux for 12 years but even though it has several different desktop environments to choose from, i wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. there are many things that work better from the command line, and the install requires you know your way around command line utilities such as fdisk. the install itself is a text menu installer. Mint would be good for a beginner. Ubuntu has some "features" you may or may not want, such as sending local search results to a server connected with Amazon.com (this is turned on by default, but it's better to turn it off). one of the things about slackware (if you don't mind learning to use the command line a little) is that every version back to version 3 is available. so even if you are putting together an old '386 or '486 machine, there are older versions of slackware available for them. a lot of the newer versions require i586 or i686 architecture for many of the programs. modern desktops (even linux desktops) require more disk space and memory than the older machines were capable of providing. for instance an older pentium 1 machine may not be able to have more than 128 or 256 megs of memory installed. so you would be better off using something like slackware 7 or 8 for such a machine. the older versions will also need more command line interaction than newer versions do. or if you could find an older version of Debian, that would probably work as well, but i know for sure the older versions of slackware are still available.

excollier

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 am

tonyhughes wrote:Downloading now... (Cinnamon ver)
You won't regret it. I use Mint 13 Cinnamon LTS. Superb o/s.
I only moved last summer for an experiment in actually using a computer, and now I never use Windows at all even though it's still on my dual boot laptop.
I now spend my spare time downloading different o/s and trying them live, but Mint still outshines the rest, in my opinion.
If you feel more adventurous try LMDE from the same site, a rolling release that needs no fresh installs each few years, directly Debian rather than Ubuntu based.

pluggy

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:13 pm

tonyhughes wrote: Having to install third party software to create a desktop icon flabbergasted me too.
You can do it with the standard install.

Find what you want in dash home and drag it to the desktop.

You can make your own custom icons by dragging the icon from the desktop into an open gedit. Its fairly self evident what does what. Tweak it and then save it. You can drag it to the taskbar if you want.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

pluggy

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Just built an I7 16GB Ram machine for a client, he wants 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 on it. Bl**dy ell, its fast. It leaves my Atom machine for dead like mine leaves a Pi for dead. It opens LibreOffice writer in about 3 seconds and almost instantly if its been run already. Of course you could buy about 20 Pis for what it cost.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “General discussion”