baker556

Best plug/power for pi

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm

hi guys

currently using my samsung charger for powering the pi can someone link me to a decent power plug for the pi. Some on eBay are £10 upwards whilst others branded as a micro usb are as little as £3 is someone just making some money slapping Raspberry Pi onto the advert?

klricks

Re: Best plug/power for pi

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 am

I bought 2 identical 5V 1A power supplies off Ebay. $7.25 shipped for both. One worked and one did not. Voltage was a bit low (4.75V) on one. Both worked with my cell phone... The seller did not claim RPi in the ad. I ended up removing the micro USB cables from the supplies and using them on better power supplies. Probably couldn't have bought just the cables alone for any less money...
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

furyfire

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 am

I've bought serveal adapters of this type. Had absolutely no problem with it. $2
1000mA USB Power Adapter/Charger

The biggest issue is the cable! - If the cable is bad the voltage will drop.
Need accessories?
Checkout my verified list of cheap DX.com accessories.
http://furyfi.re/raspberrypi/accessories.pdf

marmal

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am

Hi,

i am using an ISY Active 7 Port USB HUB for powering my RaspBMC PI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MS8MpWnHXg

Powering my RPI through the big USB Connector (not the micro one) works fine for me an i put and USB 2,5" 1TB USB Harddrive, 150mBit WIFI Stick and Logitech K400 with it. Sometimes also som USB Sticks.

There is no need for another powersupply and i have lots of free ports and i paid about 15$ for it. Okay, not the cheapest way, but for me it is the best.

Regards.

LemmeFatale

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 am

If you're after the "best" option, I personally wouldn't recommend eBay or suchlike, in the case of power-supplies.

Find a reputable local store that carries USB power-supplies instead, and look for one that's 5V 1A (1000mA), and add a Micro USB cable (often used for charging mobile telephones) so that it can be connected to the Raspberry Pi.
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

adlambert

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am

As you are quoting prices in £ in your post I will assume you are in the UK.

The two best Power Supply options I have found are both availabe for under £5 on the High Street.

The best is the Masterplug Dual USB which is sold in Sainsburys for £4.99
Similarly priced is a 1000ma charger in Wilkinsons.

Both of these I am using and they are both rock solid powering my Pis.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 am

I have my eye on one at RS that should be perfect. Unfortunately it's on back-order until May. They have another similar, but it's 1.8A and £19. I've ordered both.

Having completed my power-supply tester and tested my three power supplies, I have come to the conclusion that there is very little to choose between them. However one of them does not do a good job of powering the Pi. It's sole fault is that it drops just a little bit more voltage than the good one on a transient demand. That seems to be enough to make networking unreliable. They all, even the good one, supply much less than 4.75V at the output of the cable with a 1A load. The cable is a good one, ex Nokia.

For what it is worth, the bad one is a Sainsburys with a single socket. The good one is from a HTC Legend. The third one is a "HTC authentic" that I bought from eBay. I haven't tried it on the Pi yet. It behaves somewhere between the other two.

The USB spec says that if a charger has a socket, then it is required to supply 5V at that socket. However if it has an attached cable, then it is required to supply 5V at the end of the cable. That is the difference with the RS supplies -- they have two-core attached cables. The cores are therefore much more capable than a general-purpose, screened, twisted-pair, four-core cable. The supply is also allowed to produce enough voltage to allow for the cable voltage drop, because that drop is a known quantity.

The expensive one should be here tomorrow and I'll give it a good work-out. I'll let people know how I get on.

The RS part-numbers are: 726-3069 (£3.89, 1.2A on backorder until May) and 765-3320 (£18.98, 1.8A ex stock) both prices excl. VAT of course.

baker556

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:40 pm

@rurwin

£19.00 on a plug for a computer that costs £30.00 is fairly excessive.

I was looking for something around £5.00. At the end of the day the 'pi store' on eBay are imo buying the cheapo plugs £3.00 and selling them for £10.00.

So my question really should be re-phrased whats the best cheapest plug :lol:

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Well if you can wait until May...

I agree £19 is excessive. I'm only buying one because I have more money than sense and I want to see how it behaves.
I've just got my hands on one of those Wilkinson ones. They come in two varieties: with attached cable and without. I've got one with the cable and I'll be putting it through its paces tonight.

abishur

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm

baker556 wrote:So my question really should be re-phrased whats the best cheapest plug :lol:
If you want the "best" "cheapest" solution, then use a spare phone charger. I've been using a 1.5 mA HTC charger to power my main pi for what is quite literally a year now without any problems. I've also been using a 700 mA blackberry charger on my file server pi (it's headless so I don't worry about having too much current overhead).

As long as you don't buy some no name knock off off eBay or something you tend to be just fine on the power issue :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm

The TEXET wired charger from Wilkinsons works fine. It "only" supplies 4.8V, but that's in spec and is at least as good as my "good" HTC charger. Its transient response is good and I can't force it to fail with a Pi attached.

Based on that, and adlambert's longer term evaluation and recommendation, I'd say it was a good choice.

omega1

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Interesting comments about the HTC phone chargers. It's an HTC charger that is currently giving me issues (poor analogue audio quality) that has led me to this post from here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=37038
Get your Pi from here! http://bit.ly/18blVup

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm

On all the chargers I have tested, there is a significant amount of noise present, maybe 200mV p-p at over 1MHz. Even this "good" RS charger specifies 100mV of noise. That could certainly cause poor audio due to mixing products. I'll have a go at reducing it with a common-mode filter arrangement, aka a ferrite.

omega1

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm

I used a Duracell battery power pack (normally for my phone) to power it and the noise disappeared so it is definitely related to the PSU.

As I am using my Pi for audio purposes it is important I reduce this background noise as much as possible.

I'd be interested in hearing any comments about which PSU works best for the desired audio quality results.

Thanks!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Not necessarily of course. It could be a ground loop. That battery pack probably uses a switched-mode DC-DC converter, so it might have just as much noise as the mains power supplies.

I've never actually plugged an audio lead into a Pi, but there's a first time for everything ;-)

abishur

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:16 pm

omega1 wrote:Interesting comments about the HTC phone chargers. It's an HTC charger that is currently giving me issues (poor analogue audio quality) that has led me to this post from here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 38&t=37038
Hmm.. a slightly different question than the OP, but okay :-) I have another system I rigged up that I occasionally use the analog audio with to stream Pandora (Internet Radio for those not in the states). On that one by pure happenstance I'm using a PSU from a dlink USB hub. I bought a female barrel connector for the dlink plug to plug into, then soldered a usb cable to the +/- terminals of the barrel connector. It's all enclosed in a custom made wooden enclosure (which is why i went with the barrel connector in the first place) and looks quite nice.

The only issue I've found with the analog quality is that at the end of a song it pops, but that's standard behavior for the time being and they're working on fixing it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

adlambert

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 pm

rurwin wrote:The TEXET wired charger from Wilkinsons works fine. It "only" supplies 4.8V, but that's in spec and is at least as good as my "good" HTC charger. Its transient response is good and I can't force it to fail with a Pi attached.

Based on that, and adlambert's longer term evaluation and recommendation, I'd say it was a good choice.
My Wilkinsons charger is not Texet (thought they only did calculators!).
Mine is white, came without a USB cable and is labelled "GROOV>>E"
Under normal operation it is showing 5.02V.

omega1

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:44 pm

I have found another PSU, only labelled 'hama' (5V 1000mA)

This one does not cause the audio issues that my HTC phone charger did.

I seem to recall this one was bought off Amazon, but do not have a link to exactly which one it was I'm afraid.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm

rurwin wrote:I have my eye on one at RS that should be perfect. Unfortunately it's on back-order until May. They have another similar, but it's 1.8A and £19. I've ordered both.
It appears that today is May. The cheap one just arrived. :?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:57 pm

I've now tested both RS supplies and I am impressed. Both supply 4.92V at the input to the Pi with no load, and drop to 4.75V at a 1.2A load.

The cheap one, 726-3069, which is suggested for use with the RaspPi, is much better over its whole current range than any other supply I have tested.

The expensive one, 765-3320, does have a transient of <10ms down to 4.4V following a 1A current step, and at 1.8A it only supplies 4.6V, but in my experience the RaspPi is happy if it is getting over about 4.4V, so these shouldn't prevent its use. Every other supply I have tested, albeit with a USB cable, is down to 4.4V at the top end of their current rating.

Both supplies have cables much longer than the 1m maximum I would recommend were they general purpose USB ones.

In particular, 726-3069 is a superb supply at a very competitive price... if you can avoid doubling it with P&P; RS charge £5 on orders under £20.

digicammad

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:29 am

I had a spare Kindle cable and paired it with a spare iPhone (1A) charger. Works perfectly.

Rookie

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 pm

I have had absolutely no problem with the ones provided by HP for the Touchpad. Puts out more than enough power and it works quite well.

That being said, is it wrong to admit that I took a small atx computer power supply, bypassed the switch, spliced/soldered some usb plug ends along with some 12v adapters onto some molex female ends and am using that to power two PI's, 1 full size 3.5" drive (sata-usb adapter with a 12v input), and a powered hub? :mrgreen:

The stock molex supplies 12v (yellow) and 5v (red) and while the 5v is a little shy (4.95v), it has more than enough amperage available (obviously!) - considering one provides files services for a section of a website (mounted to a main server via cifs/smb) and the other provides for a backup server (cron'd rsync) - they need to be up 24/7.

sej7278

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:16 pm

why are you guys using phone chargers etc. instead of powered hubs? aren't you using more than 2 (or 1 if you're backpowering) usb devices?

and 1A i've found to be totally insufficient to power the hubs i've used (2A+ is fine) so seems odd to think they'd be enough for a phone charger.

that said, i've yet to find a hub that actually works reliably - even the £20 D-Link DUB-H7 doesn't even power the ethernet let alone keyboard, mouse or gpio. my dynamode from ebay works but only because its got a 2A psu attached, put a 1A on and its useless.

also my phone charger is on 500mA so no good either lol.

ecotec

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I bought a Texet mains USB charger from Wilkinsons and have found that it does not meet the pi's requirements.
Whilst accessing the pi via ssh, nothing else attached except network, tested with a multimeter I was only getting 4.62v and when a usb pen drive was added this dropped to 4.52v. Not enough!

There seems to be 2 versions of the Texet chargers, I bought the one with a fixed cable, the barcode number is 5012236001282, box states 5v, 1amp

The other version just has a usb socket, this may work fine as described in a previous post but I have not found the fixed cable version provides enough grunt, oh well back to an old blackberry charger and its annoying hum.
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

Ethan Smith

Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 pm

I also had a question about the raspberry pi if you don't mind me asking? I bought a raspberry pi and got it just today. I haven't even had it for an hour and I read that my pi needs 500 - 700 ma but I bought a power supply that said it was made specifically for the raspberry pi (however it did not specify which one and I assumed both pi's were the same, I figured out that they weren't when I got mine today. I think the power supply I bought was made for the model b but it didn't say) should I use my power supply on my model a even though its 800 ma over what it should be?(500 - 700 ma) I read online a lot that people are looking for power supplys for the model b that are 2000 ma but the model b says it needs 700 -1200 ma. that's 800ma over just like mine is. (model b 2000ma - 1200ma = 800ma, model a 1500ma - 700ma = 800ma) do you think it will be okay for me to use my power supply on my raspberry pi even though its 800 ma over what it should be?

Return to “General discussion”