Stigah

Moving files - Installing things, etc.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Hello! I had no idea where to put this, so I just put it under "General discussion".

I want to install Dosbox. I moved the file over to the memory stick, so the file is located in /boot right now (dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz)

I want to move it to /home, but I couldn't do it. I went to /home, and then I tried to write: mv -i /boot/dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz" but then I got the error: "mv: missing destination file operand after «/boot/dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz»"

I found this information on http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/use ... asics.html:

Code: Select all

mv		Move or rename files
mv -i myfile yourfile	Move the file from "myfile" to "yourfile". This effectively changes the name of "myfile" to "yourfile".
mv -i /data/myfile .	Move the file from "myfile" from the directory "/data" to the current working directory.
That's what I did, but it failed.

Ok, so here is what I need help with:
I don't have a mouse for my Pi right now, so I can only use the keyboard.
  • I want to move dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz to /home, or to /Desktop (I would prefer Desktop. Maybe a new folder in the desktop?)
  • Extract the file (I think this is done by typing command: tar -zxvf dosbox_0.74.orig.tar.gz
  • Then start it, using only commands.
So, could someone here please help me with this? I can't decompress it when it's in the boot folder. I have tried.

Thank you very much,
Stigah

itimpi

Re: Moving files - Installing things, etc.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:07 am

The mv command that you tried to use appears to be wrong in that you provided no destination (and thus the error message). I think if you had just added a dot as the second parameter it would have worked OK (dot means current directory).

Cloudcentric

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 am

If you have Raspbian "wheezy" installed then DOSBOX is in repositories

apt-get update
apt-get install dosbox

If you have alarmpi (Arch) installed the DOS BOX is in repositories

pacman -Syu

Pacman -S dosbox

So why re-invent the wheel ??
I know everything about nothing"

klricks

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 pm

You could start the filemanager from the command prompt then use keyboard commands to select.. copy files etc.
sudo pcmanfm

Rasbian has a pre installed package manager which you can use to search the repositories to see whats there and/or install packages. ......Aptitude Package Manager.
sudo aptitude

This is a GUI Package Manager which is much easier to use:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “General discussion”