Lob0426

Re: CD-ROM support

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 am

I have not ran across this question in these forums. Tried a search and came up empty also.

Do you think the RasPi will support a CD/DVD-ROM?
USB external powered type?
I do not see a use for it but thought I would ask anyway.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:35 am

I will carry around a USB floppy drive until my dying breath, so I'm sure there could be some use for an external USB CD/DVD-ROM :) . Anyway my guess is yes, there should be some (or several even) external CD drives out there supported by our fair linux distro. Once the r-pi hits the "market" we'll have to start compiling a wiki with know working hardware and known non-compatible hardware.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Blimey - where do you buy new floppies these days?

I've no idea about external CD/DVD-ROMs, but I'll look into it and try to get back to you later.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Quote from liz on August 10, 2011, 13:36

i still use 5 1/4" floppies and have 3 large boxes full of unopened 10 packs. but you can still buy 3 1/2" floppies in the larger stantionary stores (staples, office max.....)

Cafe

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I imagine a Raspi connected to an LED/LCD TV's HDMI port. Given its size, placing the Raspi in a simple bracket should leave it connected nicely hidden behind the TV. Now connect a (Bluray) DVD player, a media storage, a gaming console, ethernet for some high quality gaming/entertainment experience. A remote keyboard and mouse combo might also be nice, but it is not necessary.

A few hitches in this plan:

1. Possibly insufficient number of USB ports, especially if you want to use USB wifi adapter and a Bluetooth keyboard+mouse, some form of gaming console.

2. Not enough power to run the attached devices, especially if you plan to add a USB hub, etc.

3. Lack of USB3/eSATA to get the best out of a Bluray, SATA II/III and other hi-speed devices.

Maybe a USB docking station works around Issues 1 and 3, but it cannot work around Issue 3.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:40 pm

I've certainly used a USB DVD data drive on a desktop Ubuntu distro, so I would expect it to work on Raspi. A quick look for USB Blurays shows they are mostly USB2 or eSata, so they are *likely* to work as well. What I am not sure about it is using them as video sources on BluRay (rather than data disks). DVD works without problem on Ubuntu on the desktop, but Bluray (I may be out of date here) requires quite a few hoops to get playing, if you can get it going at all. It's not plug and watch.

Of course, ripping everything on the desktop and playing back the rips should be more possible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Cafe

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Quote from Cafe on August 10, 2011, 14:27
3. Lack of USB3/eSATA to get the best out of a Bluray, SATA II/III and other hi-speed devices.

A quick correction: USB2 (~480 Mbps) is fast enough for Full HD (~40 Mbps) playback from a Bluray reader. Still, memory and GPU performance can be critical for good performance.

USB2 is still a problem for SATA II/III devices (3/6 Gbps).

AmyS3

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Quote from ukscone on August 10, 2011, 13:58
Quote from liz on August 10, 2011, 13:36

i still use 5 1/4" floppies and have 3 large boxes full of unopened 10 packs. but you can still buy 3 1/2" floppies in the larger stantionary stores (staples, office max.....)

spicers.. when i was working there as a warehouse operative, i used to send thousands of them to dublin.. dunno why they need so much over there. maybe they use them as building material 8-)

abishur

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Quote from Cafe on August 10, 2011, 14:27
Now connect a (Bluray) DVD player, a media storage, a gaming console, ethernet for some high quality gaming/entertainment experience. A remote keyboard and mouse combo might also be nice, but it is not necessary.

Maybe a USB docking station works around Issues 1 and 3, but it cannot work around Issue 3.

I'm curious how you would connect a gaming console to the r-pi or traditional computer. (Are we talking 360/PS3 or PSP/Gameboy?)

USB3/eSATA will be an issue for a while I think (same for gigabit ethernet). The underlying issue being that the chipset they use to give us USB/Ethernet doesn't offer a chip that would support these higher speed standards :( They could theoretically use a unique chip for each device (rather than 1 chip for both USB and ethernet) but that would be a HUGE price jump right now. It would mean more chips, more data lines on the PCB, new code for communicating with the chips, a bigger footprint on the PCB, and the chips that support high speeds a more expensive. Fortunately for all us, Moore's Law means sooner or later the high speed chips will only be midspeed, the price on them will drop, and we'll get even more fun things to play with on the r-pi :D

Edit: Oh I'm still trucking off a giant box of them I bought before the turn of the century! Until windows makes a patch so you can install drivers from a USB device during installation of the OS I will always have a need for floppies! (Plus I want my kids to one day marvel at how prehistoric a thing is that I considered so ground shaking useful and amazing)

liz

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Right - spoke to Eben, and he says he expects you'll be able to plug a USB CD-ROM drive into it and have it work, but can't guarantee it at the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lob0426

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 am

Dell has a little program to set up an USB if you do not have a floppy. The main OS that still has this limitation is 2003 Server.

CD/DVD externals, will be on the list of items that need to be tested out for the RasPi. Now we are going to need another thread when they start to ship huh? Devices that are compatible with it.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 am

You know I tried that along with the one from HP, but it turns out they were both pretty finicky about what USB drive you used. It would set it up just fine, but the computers themselves never worked quite right with it :(

nerd7473

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I am posting from my pi, I would like to know which brand of CD/DVD drive is the best for running games from the pi. I have several PS1 games that I want to use. Sadly I have no idea where to get a CD/DVD drive that will work on the pi without me having to go into the terminal. I would love to also get some info on controller adapters... Will PS2 controllers work for pcsx reARMed, and will I have to do anything in the terminal?
nerd7473

Jessie

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 am

nerd7473 wrote:I am posting from my pi, I would like to know which brand of CD/DVD drive is the best for running games from the pi. I have several PS1 games that I want to use. Sadly I have no idea where to get a CD/DVD drive that will work on the pi without me having to go into the terminal. I would love to also get some info on controller adapters... Will PS2 controllers work for pcsx reARMed, and will I have to do anything in the terminal?
If you are afraid of the Terminal or CLI you are really using the wrong device. It will be impossible to avoid the CLI if you want to set up emulation. I'm not telling you to run away or that you can't do it just don't let text based command prompts scare you off. They are ugly but they work just fine, after you get all your games and emulators set up you won't have to look at it again. As for your CD ROM question... I don't know. But the unfortunate truth is that it is easier just to go find rips on the Internet than to use your own disks. I tried it myself with a couple PS1 games I own and ended up giving up and downloading them.

nerd7473

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Jessie wrote:
nerd7473 wrote:I am posting from my pi, I would like to know which brand of CD/DVD drive is the best for running games from the pi. I have several PS1 games that I want to use. Sadly I have no idea where to get a CD/DVD drive that will work on the pi without me having to go into the terminal. I would love to also get some info on controller adapters... Will PS2 controllers work for pcsx reARMed, and will I have to do anything in the terminal?
If you are afraid of the Terminal or CLI you are really using the wrong device. It will be impossible to avoid the CLI if you want to set up emulation. I'm not telling you to run away or that you can't do it just don't let text based command prompts scare you off. They are ugly but they work just fine, after you get all your games and emulators set up you won't have to look at it again. As for your CD ROM question... I don't know. But the unfortunate truth is that it is easier just to go find rips on the Internet than to use your own disks. I tried it myself with a couple PS1 games I own and ended up giving up and downloading them.

Ok if I have to use the terminal I will but I would love to know which cd/dvd optical drive will work for the distro I am using I am using raspbian wheezy. I honestly am not afraid of the terminal I just want it to work by plug and play. Just my preference, but I still just want a player and adapter for the controllers. Is there a list anywhere I can use to help me figure out what hardware I need?
nerd7473

jamesh

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I would expect most/all USB CD/DVD drives to work.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

nerd7473

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

jamesh wrote:I would expect most/all USB CD/DVD drives to work.
I tried a DVD drive before but had some issues and I don't remember what brand I used. Is there a list of wheezy-compatible drives? It was like taking one step foreword and two back it would read it then not work. I think I had too much plugged into my powered hub... but it wouldn't really read the disk as well as I had hoped
nerd7473

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm

nerd7473 wrote:
jamesh wrote:I would expect most/all USB CD/DVD drives to work.
I tried a DVD drive before but had some issues and I don't remember what brand I used. Is there a list of wheezy-compatible drives? It was like taking one step foreword and two back it would read it then not work. I think I had too much plugged into my powered hub... but it wouldn't really read the disk as well as I had hoped
I've been using an Asus external CD/DVD burner with Raspbian, though on a Cubieboard rather than a Pi, to burn backups of a convention registration system, including the database.

As soon as I figure out a way to pay for an MPEG license (the Pi Store payment system won't take my credit card and I don't have a PayPal account...nor do I want one), I plan to try playing commercial DVDs on a Pi.

Quan

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: I've been using an Asus external CD/DVD burner with Raspbian, though on a Cubieboard rather than a Pi, to burn backups of a convention registration system, including the database.

As soon as I figure out a way to pay for an MPEG license (the Pi Store payment system won't take my credit card and I don't have a PayPal account...nor do I want one), I plan to try playing commercial DVDs on a Pi.
What program (on Raspbian) you used to burn CD/DVD?

wgeorge76

Re: CD-ROM support and audio

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 am

Hello, have seen users talking about CDROM support on the Raspberry Pi.
And that's great, and I can conform that a USB CDROM drive can work,
thought I needed a powered USB HUB with it.

That was great, now there is a problem with the Audio...
When I plug the USB CDROM (Apple Superdrive) in the powered USB HUB
and run the program
cdcd --device /dev/sr0 play

on command line on the Raspberry Pi,
it will start the Audio CD, using the command
cdcd --device /dev/sr0 info

it displays the info about the current track on the Audio CD,
unfortunately there is NO sound output on my earphones.

I have tried the using MPlayer, which does start playing, though very choppy, sound is on/off.
(and have included cache on it)

First a test, the Apple Superdrive does the same as above on the laptop.

I am not looking for a GUI, would be wonderful if I can get sound working when playing cdcd.

Thank you
William George

Return to “General discussion”