ElectroPulse

Re: Not Available to US Residents?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 am

Hello, all.

For a while I've been watching the RPi and have been hoping to get one from the first batch.

Well, I thought I'd be the smart one and go onto the second site in the list (which was unluckily RS) because I figured it would get less traffic right off the start.

So... I filled out the form within about a minute of the link going up, so I am pretty sure that I got in the first batch (based on the fact that Farnell sold out in about 10 minutes).

Anyway, I heard something about RS only sending them to UK customers, so I decided to email them and ask. Well, I got back the following response:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest...as you know the demand was high for this item and is still ongoing with interest UK and worldwide.
Regardless whether you were one of the first ... the demand from our UK customers will be prioritised first...these
items are not currently available but when the stocks do come in they will be shipped according to prioritised lists.
If you have registered here...
http://export.rsdelivers.com/c.....ry/pi.aspx then we have captured you on our marketing lists and will ship when we have stocks available and once we have determined
how we ship and how you can pay but we will advise you when we know ourselves.

Kind Regards
Nada
Emerging Markets

So... I thought RPis from the first batch would be available to U.S. customers as well? What's up with that? (I'm guessing another screwup on the part of RS). I was up until 3AM trying to get this thing (was waiting 2 hours for the actual "buy now" link to go up on RS... never did), so am going to be pretty ticked if I can't get one... (of course not mad at RPi Foundation, at RS). Another thing that makes me quite unhappy about the situation is that in the original email sent out by RS said NOTHING about it only being available in UK... they just said "Once we receive the boards into stock, they will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis, in order of when requests were received." Since this did not give any indication that it was only available for UK customers, I have gone a week without pre-ordering from Farnell (there's no way in heck I'm giving RS any of my money after all this unless it is for an RPi out of the first batch)

Thanks!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

So did we - I'll bring this up with RS when I speak to them later today. In the meantime, you might want to try Newark (Element 14/Farnell's trading name in the US). The handling charge that some have complained about was an error which they have now removed.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

unfortunately you'll have to "register your interest" now but here is the direct url to do that.

http://downloads.element14.com.....irect=true

bwoodbury

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:37 pm

You can pre order from either supplier at

Farnell

http://www.newark.com/raspberr.....dp/83T1943

and Allied Electronics the RS affiliate in the US

http://www.alliedelec.com/sear.....U=70229569

It would be VERY helpfull if the foundation's "Where to Buy" information would just link folks to the wiki as they seem to have up to date links by country

http://elinux.org/RPi_Buying_Guide

Phil Spiegel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:11 pm

With only <5000 ready-built boards available each, and already located within the UK, each supplier would only be using 'common sense' to ship that, customs-duty-paid stock WITHIN the Uk in an attempt to meet SOME of the initial home demand:-

Having already instigated a much larger bulk order which can be more economically shipped around the world DIRECT to their other distribution hubs -or you'd be compaining about the shipping charges incurred! - there will only be a few weeks delay... which is probably LESS than if disitribution was handled any other way - eg as originally planned.

(Note: the economies of scale won't apply to these 1st sales from Farnell/RS as they come from the batch paid for out of Liz's mortgage* (the interest rate on which may be about to go up!)

*and other foundation members

The 'impatience' of some posters astounds me! I'm not aware of anyone having a divine right to a Pi from the initial batch! I too was trying to order just after 06.00, and have to wait until end of March/April to receive one.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:29 pm

One of the tactics used by the "status quo defenders" is to equate the people who are analyzing the process (and finding it lacking - and suggesting alternatives for next time [footnote: There is always a next time...) with either or both of:

1) People who feel they were entitled to a board and didn't get one - and that this is an offense against their dignity and manhood.

2) People who think that the foundation members are no good so-and-so-s.  Note that this set is a null set (for all practical purposes), but that doesn't stop people from imputing this view to some posters (see the number of posts [unnecessarily, of course] defending the foundation members' honor).

P.S.  I think group 1) above is pretty close to a null set as well, but again, this doesn't stop people from imputing its (non-trivial) existence.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

lyzby

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

I understand the issues of massive demand and limited supply, but would have to say that "UK first" shipping seems contrary to the often-stated policy of "first-come, first-served" (with no indication that this didn't mean worldwide).

I have no problem personally with paying a (reasonable) additional amount for shipping to the U.S., but I would hate to see my within-the-first-five-minutes "expression of interest" become "maybe never" because of an unannounced change in the expressed policy.

That said, despite the initial issues, I am glad to see the involvement of distributors who are better able to ramp up production faster than the foundation would have been able to.

abishur

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Well the larger issue here is not what makes business sense per se.  The issue at hand is that, as Liz said, the RPF was under the impression that the first batch was going world wide from the get go.  My guess (hope) on this is that the person who wrote back to the OP was misinformed   As great as my initial frustration with RS was, they have been working on getting this fixed. Eventually every company is going to screw up (hopefully its on something less visible than the R-pi for other companies though ), but how they handle that screw up is the measure of a companies worth to me.  RS seems to be putting forth the due diligence to get this resolved and so they're proving themselves (slowly but surely) to be a worthwhile company.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

timgiles

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

It will help a HUGE amount if Farnell and RS let us know, through the RPF, how many preorders they have received and how many they are building and when they believe these boards/Batches are due by.

I am sure I and many would be happy to know that X thousand potential orders (at 1 per customer) have been made, between them the distributers are ordering 150k over the following 2 months, with batches likely delivered from week 4 to 8 from today...

Also a confirmation from both companies, which countries can NOT be preordered from and why.

I dont know the exact words, but something that helps everyone, around the world, understand when and confirm their country can be ordered from.

liz

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Just off the phone to RS, and they asked me to reassure you (and everybody else in the US and elsewhere) that this isn't the case; it seems there's been a bit of a mix-up in communication. The team I spoke to are talking to Emerging Markets to make sure that nobody else is given this message. They say:

Please let everybody know that everybody who orders, wherever they are, will get a Raspberry Pi according to where they fall in the queue no matter where in the world they ordered from.

No territories are being given priority - the only priority RS is imposing is based on the order that people registered their interest. So those who got in there very early on will be the first to get their Raspberry Pis.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ElectroPulse

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Phil Spiegel said:

The 'impatience' of some posters astounds me! I'm not aware of anyone having a divine right to a Pi from the initial batch! I too was trying to order just after 06.00, and have to wait until end of March/April to receive one.

I by no means feel that it is my "divine right" to a Pi. I am simply stating what has been said in the past, and questioning why it has changed (it seems that there has been some miscommunication, whether between the RPi Foundation and RS, or even within RS, so was simply asking if this was another one of those).

liz said:

Just off the phone to RS, and they asked me to reassure you (and everybody else in the US and elsewhere) that this isn't the case; it seems there's been a bit of a mix-up in communication. The team I spoke to are talking to Emerging Markets to make sure that nobody else is given this message. They say:

Please let everybody know that everybody who orders, wherever they are, will get a Raspberry Pi according to where they fall in the queue no matter where in the world they ordered from.

No territories are being given priority - the only priority RS is imposing is based on the order that people registered their interest. So those who got in there very early on will be the first to get their Raspberry Pis.

Ah, thank you for the reply! I'm glad that mixup was set straight

bwoodbury

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I placed an order with Allied Electronics the RS affiliate for North America on the weekend and received a quick order confirmation. Just received the following follow up email from them

Bruce,

Thank you for your recent Raspberry Pi preorder.

Due to the uncertainty of lead times, we have suspended all future orders at this time. However, your order is still in place and you will be the first in the Allied order queue once the product is available.

Please stay tuned for more updates. We will contact you as soon as the Raspberry Pi is available and your order is in process.

Thank you,
Allied Electronics
http://www.alliedelec.com

Return to “General discussion”