meltwater

Re: Broken SD card slot

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 am

To convey the general joy of having just fixed my Raspberry Pi with a new shiny metal SD card slot, with some delicate soldering (and I must admit, some not so delicate removal of the old slot - including a lifted pad! eek).

IT'S ALIVE!!! Very pleased that the Raspberry Pi is back in the land of the living.

Thanks for the offers of replacement card slots too, great to see the support.

I figure I may as well go ahead and add headers on for the rest while I am at it, make it a real franken-pi.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

RaTTuS

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:33 am

pictures!
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

meltwater

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:50 pm

RaTTuS wrote:pictures!
Here it is kitted out. I went for the leaning pins of Pi (RaspTV style) for P5. I was tempted to fit a socket for that one, but then thought it would be a pain if it was different to the other one.

The holes didn't seem to take to the solder that well, and I wanted to avoid overheating the board, so the joints aren't quite as nice as I would like.
Also, you may spot the fix I had to do for the SD-card pin (I lifted the pad removing the old SD-card slot taking it off in one go), so was a hopeful fix to get it working (thankfully it did).

Anyway, it has been working well so far, and has been put into service as my daily workhorse travelling back-and-forth in my bag for when I need it.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

rleyden

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 am

SD cards could no longer be reliably boot my RPi, even though I could not see any visible damage to the connector. I used a mini-clamp for a while but it was too bulky and also not completely reliable.

I decided to solder a new connector in parallel because desoldering the broken one seemed tricky and potentially hazardous to my Pi. I was looking for a connector that was already mounted on a small circuit board so I could tape it to the back of the RPi. I decided to used a cheap USB card reader I bought on Ebay for less than $2. I wasn't sure if the existing circuit on the card reader would cause any problems but just went ahead and tried it. The plastic shell popped off easily and the SD connector solder pads were right next to the edge and fairly large.

It worked perfectly. The RPi will also boot off a micro SD if it is inserted in the appropriate slot. However, the RPI seemed to hang if I had BOTH a micro SD and a regular SD card inserted at the same time.
Note that I just used 9 short wires to connect corresponding pins between the two connectors. I ignored 4 pins for "card detect" and "lock". It's rather ugly but compact. The photo was taken before taping the small reader board down to the back of the RPi. Also, I could snip off the USB plug but haven't yet done so. I thought I might still be able to plug it into my PC if the RPi were turned off.
Attachments
sd card fix_sml.jpg
sd card fix_sml.jpg (39.68 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Return to “General discussion”